The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo spare wheel carrier

5 posters

Go down

Nuevo spare wheel carrier Empty Nuevo spare wheel carrier

Post by BarryP Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:58 am

This subject has been touched on a few times I see with no real solution being forthcoming. Perhaps this is because there isn't one. Having just had 5 new tyres fitted the fitters had the anticipated problem of dropping the spare from it's ridiculous location. The carrier is held in place against the floor with two long hooked bolts (see picture) one of which was not only seized solid but also had no anchor socket. I assume that a previous owner had already had this problem which they helpfully bequeathed to me.  The carrier is suspended on these two bolts by the hook adjacent to the bolt head which pulls the frame upwards. The threaded end of the bolt locates into a bracket which is bolted to the chassis. Mine only had one in working order. The nearside locating bracket was missing so how the previous owner kept the bolt in place is a mystery. OK, so AS referred me to the chassis manufacturers, but when speaking to the local Peugeot dealers they could only supply a completely different unit (see picture) which would not solve the problem. Incidentally, the parts manager to whom I spoke has just bought a Peugeot based MH and is already having trouble finding parts which fit. My guess is that Sevel buy in carriers from different makers and just fit what they have.
Curiously the one fixing bolt which does work holds the wheel very securely (even if on one side only) but I have added a belt and braces ratchet strap to hold the wheel against the floor. It will last for years I would guess but to me it is still a bodge. In the event of a puncture I am sure the RAC will be up to it!
My probably forlorn request is, does anyone by any chance know where I can obtain a replacement bolt and socket? I am discounting a breaker as anything previously fitted is likely to be as rusted as mine. Nuevo spare wheel carrier Bracke10
BarryP
BarryP
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Nuevo spare wheel carrier Empty Re: Nuevo spare wheel carrier

Post by Gromit Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Messrs Peugeot??

You would have tried them first though I guess.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by BarryP Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks, but did I not say that?
BarryP
BarryP
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:32 pm

I think your quickest solution is to get a local engineering company to make you one ( 2 new ones would be better
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:09 pm

BarryP wrote:Thanks, but did I not say that?
Sorry - just read your original post properly!  blushes
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:05 pm

If you get some made then I would ask for them to be in stainless steel-problem of rusting then solved for good.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Nuevo spare wheel carrier Empty Nuevo Spare Wheel Carrier

Post by voranke Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:01 pm

I had the same problem, attempting to to remove the spare wheel , took a socket to loosen the hook bracket and  ripped the whole thing out of its housing ( a three sided box section ) .With the help of a vice , heat from a blow torch I managed to free it applying plenty of grease to the threads .Ok so I had one working hook ,next I had to repair the box section that retained the hook .The bottom of the retaining section has two end sides these had been damaged when I ripped out the retaining hook ,the ' L' shaped section was fitted back into the retaining housing and with a round bar and hammer I put back the two end sections thus securing the arrangement .Hope this helps .

Vo
voranke

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo low profile

Back to top Go down