The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanton puncture protection

+6
Gromit
Cymro
artheytrate
Paulmold
daisy mae
jumpstart
10 posters

Go down

Stanton puncture protection Empty Stanton puncture protection

Post by jumpstart Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Like many when faced with the lack of a spare wheel I discovered a tyre puncture protection anti-deflation-tyre-safety-solution. It's called Drive Safe. Inject into tyre prior to use it protects against punctures. it is water soluble so claimed not to affect a repair. My van pack for four tyres cost £30.00 plus p&p. The motor home dealer offered a different product at £25.00 per wheel. In the event of a puncture it is claimed to seal punctures up to 5mm within the protected area.
jumpstart
jumpstart

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Stanton puncture protection Empty Re: Stanton puncture protection

Post by daisy mae Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:12 pm

What is the long time use regarding this product.?

Personally I would not drive a motorhome or a car come to that without a spare wheel, mine came with one, if it hadn`t I would have bought one.

jmho

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:31 pm

You usually see a stand at the shows with someone constantly pushing a screwdriver into a tyre with a product in it to seal it. Very impressive, can't remember the name but it means you could be driving around with several holes in your tyres but you would never know. If it's water soluble, would driving in rain wash any that has filled a hole clean away?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:58 pm

I have installed it into our Trailer tyres a couple of years ago, and last week I had new trailer tyres fitted because of age.
When the tyre fitter removed tyres the solution had completely covered the tyre surfaces and some was still liquid in the tyres, he then just wiped the wheels with a cloth and fitted new tyres.
I was impressed with this so I ordered new supplies and injected the trailer and motorhome tyres, as I would not want a puncture on my twice yearly trips to Benidorm.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:42 pm

artheytrate wrote:
I was impressed with this so I ordered new supplies and injected the trailer and motorhome tyres ....

Is this the same product, called "Drive Safe", as Jumpstart mentioned in the opening post?

How is it injected? Presumably via the valve, just as a tyre inflation aerosol would be used? But does it have any effect upon the Tyre Pressure Monitoring valve - I'd hate to go back to the dealers to pay £40 to have them recalibrated!

An interesting thread: that you've seen the wheel after the removal of a protected tyre is reassuring. May well be worth £25, albeit that I take the point about not wanting to be ignorant of the presence of nails etc in a tyre.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:41 pm

artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks, John.

I see from the expanded view of the label that the tyre is deflated to allow the liquid to be introduced via the valve. I also see that it's TMS safe.

However, as I found to my cost, when a tyre on a Peugeot which has TMS is deflated, the TMS can only be reset by the Peugeot dealer (not by the owner, as on some other vehicles) and that cost me £40.

See https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t14872-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms?highlight=monitoring
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:19 am

The only problem that I had was with the short metal tyre valves, the tyre safe pourer was to big for the valves so I used these silicone mastic nozzles cut to fit over the valves and was able to squeeze the solution in.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-50-Bulk-Pack-Spare-Nozzles-for-310ml-cartridges-Silicone-Sealant-Mastic-Caulk-/172318718403?hash=item281efef9c3:g:pOkAAOSwJQdXCOG3

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:52 am

This is the same stuff I think.
https://www.puncturesafe.com/puncturesafe-technical.php

Haven't read the blurb recently, but this firm (or one of them) claimed that the Post Office treat all their vans with the stuff.

It does work - I had it in a previous van and picked up a nail in the tread pattern. The tyre didn't deflate, even when I pulled the nail out. It wasn't a very big nail so I watched carefully for a little while, then forgot about it.

It wouldn't pay to be too complacent though. Nothing will stop a catastrophic deflation if the sidewall is breached, and I would be concerned if I picked up anything which made a hole any more than about 5mm diameter. It must rely to some extent on the rubber springing back to (mostly) close the hole when the nail is pulled out. There's no way it could plug an open 5mm hole as it relies on tiny fibres to create a matrix for the gel to congeal on.

Worth mentioning . . . If you do it yourself, support the weight of the van on a jack stand before you deflate the tyre. If you don't, the weight of the van on a flat tyre could easily ruin it.

Also, the fibres may block the valve so it leaks when you first re-inflate. Worth cleaning the inside of the valve stem with an ear bud before screwing the core back in.

Hope this helps
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:58 am

Puncturesafe is the name that demo it at the shows. I don't think they sell for diy but have fitters at the shows (only Lincoln show left this year).

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:23 am

Paulmold wrote:Puncturesafe is the name that demo it at the shows. I don't think they sell for diy but have fitters at the shows (only Lincoln show left this year).
They used to sell it for DIY Paul. That's how I got it, but it wasn't a whole lot cheaper than having it done at shows.

The reason I did it myself was that at the time, some of the Show installers were giving it "one for the pot". By injecting too much of the jollop they created an imbalance in the wheel. A number of people had quite nasty wheel wobble after having it injected by these people.

That problem has long since been resolved I think, so getting it done at a show would be far easier.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:58 pm

I've used similar stuff in my motorbike tyres for years now and it's been very good, but I always regularly inspect the tyres for damage which is obviously a lot easier on a bike.

I'm in 2 minds about whether I'd use in the MH though. It can prevent a lot of problems if you pick up a nail, but as said above, you could be driving for a long time without knowing you've had damage to the tyre, and if it's near the side wall you can have a potential blow out situation in the future as the wall has been weakened.

I've just had my AA membership renewed so will probably simply stick with that for now.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi, my advice would be ,don't have it fitted at a show. We had our Pilote done at the Shepton Mallet show some years ago, later caught a tack in the tyre which was pointed out at the mot. I reacted by mentioning the tyre sealant, they subsequently pulled the tack and the tyre deflated! Not enough of the sealant had been pumped in, I had the rest of the tyres checked at a local tyre place ,and guess what they were all the same!Phoned the companys  so called head office ,and surprise ,surprise ,they didn't want to know!! You just cant tell how much of the stuff they are actually pumping in.    Regards    Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:04 pm

paul bullock wrote:they subsequently pulled the tack and the tyre deflated! Not enough of the sealant had been pumped in

Another problem is some of the sealants only work when the tyre is moving.

When in motion the fluid is spun to the entire inside face of the tyre with a decent force and so covers completely. Any puncture is then easily filled with the solution and the fibers mat together to block the hole.

When stationary this effect doesn't happen so you can get what happened there.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi Noggin, yes I quite agree that is what should happen, and perhaps I  should of mentioned that I only came to the conclusion I had been "short changed" when the tyre had been removed to fit a replacement ,there wasn't enough sealant to cover 6" of the tyre with a paintbrush let alone it covering the whole tyre by centrifugal force!!!I wonder how many  "punters"that chap conned that day? Regards        Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:48 am

Posters must remember that a nail in the tyre should be removed and a proper repair carried out.  This applies whether you have sealant or not.
That means you have to inspect your tyres frequently even when using a sealant.
Most non inner tube tyres,maybe all,are self sealing for a nail in the tyre.
There are no shortcuts to checking tyres for damage and pressure  frequently.

regards
 Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Grandad Alan Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:16 pm

I put OKO tyre sealant in my Stanton's tyres about 6 weeks ago. Only time will tell if it stops punctures, but I can say that it was very easy to put in, and there is no sign of wheel in-balance or wobble at all.
I agree with the point about supporting the weight of the van in order not to damage the tyre, which has to be completely deflated. You need to remove the valve from the tyre with the tool which is included in the pack, and then squirt the sealant in through the valve tube.
The instructions on the bottle are very clear.   After putting it in, t says that you must drive the van slowly for a couple of kilometres to distribute it, I just went to the shops and back.
I bought mine direct from okosales.co.uk, but I ordered it by phone to make sure I was getting the right stuff.  It cost around £15 which was much better than the £100 I was quoted at a show.

Grandad Alan

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down