The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chassis cleaning and protection

+3
TeamRienza
Organplayer
S10
7 posters

Go down

Chassis cleaning and protection Empty Chassis cleaning and protection

Post by S10 Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:51 pm

We bought a Ravenna on a Transit chassis and noticed light rust at the time of purchase.

Over the winter I'd like to clean this up and then rust proof it as far as possible.

Thinking about retail aftermarket products, does anyone have any recommendations for the best treatment to use when the chassis has been cleaned of surface rust?

I was planning to use a wire brush drill attachment to clean the chassis and then a brush to apply the rust treatment. Any thought on this approach would also be welcome.

While under the van I also noticed that the floor appears to be a marine ply. Is it worth treating this too while I'm at it and any ideas for the best products for this?
S10
S10

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Chassis cleaning and protection Empty Chassis cleaning and protection

Post by Organplayer Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:55 pm

HAMMERITE UNDERBODY SEAL WITH WAXOIL  -  THE ORIGINAL.

I have applied this stuff by brush to a previous m/hme, doing the metal chassis and the wooden floor. Obviously ensure all surfaces to be treated are dry and reasonably dirt free. I intend to do the same on my current AS Broadway. There is a chap who does/did do a superb job on our first m/hme back in the late 90s. He was/is based in Poole and if he still operates and you wanted to have the whole underneath Waxoiled, he uses a high powered spray equipment to do the job, inside the chassis vents/holes, doors and everywhere on the van. Obviously quite expensive though. Ah ha..just remembered his operation is entitled "Rustbusters"

Hope this bit of info is of use. Best wishes.
Organplayer
Organplayer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Chassis cleaning and protection Empty Re: Chassis cleaning and protection

Post by TeamRienza Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi, my 2006 Transit was in a similar condition to yours, I posted this 

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t1141-chassis-and-floor-sealing

It may help your deliberations. Several years on and I am happy with the result.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by S10 Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Davy

Thanks very much for the link to the interesting 2011 thread.

How is your van bearing up now and does it still look completely covered underneath or have any rust patches started to show through?
S10
S10

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Dinitrol.............

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi S10,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Away for a few days and a bad memory !

I got under the van today, and although I did not give it an inch by inch check, it is in good condition.

There was no evidence of any patches of rust on flat surfaces, there are one or two places where wire or cable has rubbed against an edge which has worn off the coating but no evidence of rust forming.

I shall have to attend to these at some point over the coming weeks, but I am happy with the durability of the finish, although I think some recommend recoating at intervals.

The only recurring rust on the van is the standard Transit issue of surface rust above the windscreen, which seems to be common to all transits, but I had this treated for the first time about 18 months ago  ( the van would hav been about 8 years old at that time ) and it now needs treated and touched up again. It is a small patch about the size of a 5p coin.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by S10 Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:31 am

We decided to have the job done properly and found JR Classics through the Dinotrol website. They have loads of positive reviews from Landrover and classic car owners and are in Askern, Doncaster which is only an hour from us in Sheffield.

We're really pleased with the result. Joe, the owner. is a great lad and takes time to explain what he is doing. The bill was £540 (as quoted) but if we'd opted for Waxoyl it would have been under £500.

Our van had quite a bit of rust and Joe cleaned this up, treated it and sealed it. I reckon this gives us at least another 10 years life on the van and well worth doing IMHO.
S10
S10

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Just clean off underside and spray with 50% waxoyl 50% oil have done this for years,cheap as chips
bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : ravenna
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunbeampizza Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Just a word of warning Organplayer regarding using any sealant or waxoil on your Broadway's wooden floorpan. I was told by Marquis that the floor is treated and should be allowed to breathe. Therefore undersealant is not recommended or advised. I have had just the Peugeot chassis members waxoiled. Perhaps best to check with Willersey first if you are undecided.
Sunbeampizza
Sunbeampizza

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:37 pm

I had my chassis etc waxoiled  when I had the service done , about a month ago,  I asked him NOT to do the floor, reason if ever there was a leak inside the van, the water cannot get out so will rot the floor, just my take on it.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down