The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar connection

3 posters

Go down

Solar connection Empty Solar connection

Post by rgermain Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:22 pm

I have purchased a solar lead from Sargent for connecting a solar panel to the EC500 which has a built in solar regulator.

The regulator has a solar panel printed by the input, on my van, 2015 Duo, there is already a cable connected at this point, not sure where it goes, but the plug on the cable is the correct type so I assume I have the correct socket.

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a panel as I was hoping to do the job this weekend, but will ring Sargent on Tuesday for further help if needed.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Solar connection Empty Re: Solar connection

Post by -mojo- Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:49 pm

According to the EC500 User Manual, the 4-way connector for the solar input is dedicated to that function (as it is on the EC325 and EC328) so it serves no other purpose. Hence it's likely that AS pre-installed the cable to cover the possibility that a buyer selected the solar panel option from new but after the van was converted.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:53 am

Hi Mojo,

Thanks for the reply. 

I will try and trace the wire to find out where it ends up, mind you there are more wires than a Telephone Exchange by the power area!

Might just disconnect the existing plug and plug in the Sargent one and see what happens.

Of course I could always email A/S and Sargent on Tuesday just to be safe.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:30 am

Hi rger,

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on - I'm considering a panel for our Fairford.

S
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:16 pm

StewPotch wrote:Hi rger,

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on - I'm considering a panel for our Fairford.

S

Plenty of people have reported retro-fitting on various models with Sargent controllers. I've retro-fitted a 100W panel with my EC328 and it works very well, though I did need to get the firmware on that updated as there is a problem with larger panels and the older firmware. Overall it was very easy and the result was worthwhile. I spent a bit extra and bought the remote display that plugs into the solar controller (hidden inside the Sargent PSU) and shows charging data.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:23 pm

-mojo- wrote:
StewPotch wrote:Hi rger,

S

Plenty of people have reported retro-fitting on various models with Sargent controllers. I've retro-fitted a 100W panel with my EC328 and it works very well, though I did need to get the firmware on that updated as there is a problem with larger panels and the older firmware. Overall it was very easy and the result was worthwhile. I spent a bit extra and bought the remote display that plugs into the solar controller (hidden inside the Sargent PSU) and shows charging data.

Thanks mojo,

I'll look into the solar panel idea a bit more once I get my scooter rack mod done.

Last edited by StewPotch on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down