The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In dash radio connection to leisure battery

+3
matchlessman
rogerblack
Tommy-Darcy
7 posters

Go down

In dash radio connection to leisure battery  Empty In dash radio connection to leisure battery

Post by Tommy-Darcy Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:58 pm

1996 Duetto.

As I am worried about draining the van battery if we listen to the in dash CD/Radio I am considering one of two options.

Change the wiring so that the CD/Radio and factory amp are powered by the leisure battery. I appreciate this will involve tracing the power + leads, cutting then installing inline fuses before connecting to + terminal on leisure battery and no doubt will incur a fair amount of cursing.

OR

Do I just invest in a small battery monitor/charger for the van battery like this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Would use of a charger do any harm to the van battery as unlike the leisure battery it is not designed to be charged/discharged regularly ?

This may be a hypothetical question as I am going to monitor the situation as we travel smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

In dash radio connection to leisure battery  Empty Re: In dash radio connection to leisure battery

Post by rogerblack Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Why not fit a Battery Master? This will also top up the engine battery when on hookup with out the need for an additional charger and is fully automatic so will not allow overcharging. If you keep your 'van on hookup at home too, then this will avoid the engine battery losing charge due to powering the alarm, radio standby, etc if unused for a while

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

In dash radio connection to leisure battery  Empty Re: In dash radio connection to leisure battery

Post by matchlessman Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 am

Its actually pretty simple to connect direct to the leisure battery. Did this on my previous van, great success. Run the radio as long as you like, knowing that you will always be able to start up in the morning. Peace of mind on the cheap.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Thank you................. don't really want to go spending £70 ish this early in our tour, but will look into this further. up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Enn Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Something you may want to consider before linking the radio to the leisure battery is (on my van anyway) when the ignition is turned on and engine running, all power from the leisure battery is cut off. If this is the same in your van you wouldn't be able to use the radio whilst travelling.
Unless you can bypass this somehow.

Enn
Enn
Enn
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

rogerblack wrote:Why not fit a Battery Master? This will also top up the engine battery when on hookup with out the need for an additional charger and is fully automatic so will not allow overcharging. If you keep your 'van on hookup at home too, then this will avoid the engine battery losing charge due to powering the alarm, radio standby, etc if unused for a while

Could you explain where the battery master is fitted please. I see there is a red, black and brown wire. Is it fitted near the leisure battery?
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:
rogerblack wrote:Why not fit a Battery Master? This will also top up the engine battery when on hookup with out the need for an additional charger and is fully automatic so will not allow overcharging. If you keep your 'van on hookup at home too, then this will avoid the engine battery losing charge due to powering the alarm, radio standby, etc if unused for a while
Could you explain where the battery master is fitted please. I see there is a red, black and brown wire. Is it fitted near the leisure battery?

Yes, ours is fitted by the leisure battery in connection with the split charge relay/fuse block for the hab area 12V, under the driver's seat towards the front so you can see the red/green LED status easily.

Here are supplier's instructions:

Last edited by rogerblack on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

In dash radio connection to leisure battery  Empty re radio connection

Post by fisherman3 Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 pm

why not buy a small radio and just plug in to plug socket when you are on site.easier and cheaper all round.
fisherman3
fisherman3

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : rambler

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim gee Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi
Tim gee
Tim gee

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : flair

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 pm

fisherman3 wrote:why not buy a small radio and just plug in to plug socket when you are on site.easier and cheaper all round.

Yes, we have a DAB radio but perhaps I should have explained that the main reason for this post was that I wanted to increase the sound volume of our "Celo TV/DVD" which I do so by connecting a jack to jack lead from the headphone socket on the TV to the AUX in on the in dash cd/radio player hence the concern about draining the start battery and the preference for using the leisure battery to run the in dash CD/Radio player smile!

I don't think there is a cut out on the 12v (leisure battery) when the vehicle is in motion as we can have the 12v hab lights on whilst moving but will check it out think_smiley_46

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Tim gee wrote:Hi

Hello, don't be shy blushes

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim gee Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Sorry about that ,started to post introduction in wrong section,but hallo anyway
Tim gee
Tim gee

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : flair

Back to top Go down