The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz 1994 Tow Bar

+3
daisy mae
-mojo-
trevoradare
7 posters

Go down

Topaz 1994 Tow Bar Empty Topaz 1994 Tow Bar

Post by trevoradare Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:41 pm

I bought the van last week.  Was absolutely delighted with it.  Brought it to get a tow bar fitted and was told it was impossible.
I don't want to believe this because I bought the van for weekends away sailing with with trailer yacht.
If I can't find a tow bar, I am going to have to sell the van!!  I really don't want to.  Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Trevor
trevoradare
trevoradare

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Topaz 1994 Tow Bar Empty Re: Topaz 1994 Tow Bar

Post by -mojo- Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:30 pm

IMO the best next step would be to phone Auto-sleepers and ask whether it is possible - they designed and built it, so they would be the best people to advise.

Offhand I can't think why it should not be possible, unless the internal structure at the rear interferes with the locating points for the towbar.

A Trophy would be a different matter - perhaps this has caused confusion with the people that you have asked, and they are thinking that you have a Trophy, not a Topaz?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:34 pm

I had a tow bar fitted to my 2002 Topaz when I bought it, had it taken off as I was having reversing bleepers fitted and the guy said he couldn`t  fit them  with the tow bar on, found out later from previous owner this was not the case.so wish I had done my homework first. so YES you can have a tow bar on a Topaz.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Watling Engineering has the Topaz in its pricelist. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Plus Watling are very professional, and if there's any question of safety they will refuse to fit a towbar.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:57 pm

The one and only  PF JONES will have one if there is such a towbar.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by trevoradare Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Oh Dear!  Its a Trophy not a Topaz.  Likelihood of tow bar is very slim.  May well be up for sale very soon
Thanks to all who replied
trevoradare
trevoradare

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:42 pm

Unless you can get to the original pickup points on the back of the SWB chassis I would not risk it, as the chances are that a 1994 Trophy may not have great strength to the add-on rear section - I would think you would risk that section flexing and damaging the area where it's bonded on. As you say, it's not really an option with a Trophy.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:55 am

I don't know the van Mojo so can't offer practical advice, but I would think it worth Trevor giving Watling a ring before he does anything hasty.

They have a huge database of van details and could probably tell him straight away whether it's feasible or not. They are very helpful, and can make him a towbar and suitable extensions if it's safe to fit one, since his older van doesn't have to have a type approved model.

It just could mean he keeps the van he likes.

Quote from their website:-  "As well as being able to cater for almost every modern vehicle on the market, our huge back catalogue of towbars means we are able to cater for the more unusual vehicles that are on the roads. . . . . Our range of items spans from 1950s classics to the latest SUVs and Pick-Ups. . . . . We recently fitted a special design towbar to Jaime Olivers' 1950 Camper Van so that he could tow his catering trailer during his tour of Italy. Special care was needed during the design process because of his aftermarket Porsche engine and enormous exhaust!"

Phone 01727-873661

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 am

The specific problem with the Trophy is that it is unique to A/S (I think) in that they bonded a "pod" onto the back of a SWB van to create extra length. The resulting problems are two main ones: firstly the add-on will almost certainly have obstructed the pickup points at the back of the original chassis - these effectively comprise two "horns" that fit into the body just below floor level.

The other issue is that the underlying structure for the pod has a reputation for corroding and weakening, and as a result it would be very unwise to fit anything that would place any extra load on it (other than its own weight). This would ~probably~ mean that even if you could get to the VW pickup points, you would need to drop a bar impractically low to avoid any contact with the pod, so you would end up with too little ground clearance at the back.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks Mojo

What a shame. Looks like Trevor will have to sell his van and get another if he really needs a towbar.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Topaz 1994 Tow Bar Empty Some hope. Perhaps!

Post by trevoradare Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Again thanks for the very helpful discussion even though the result may not be what I hoped for. I visited a Coachbuilder today and their 'expert' is going to have a look at the Trophy on Monday. I will let you know how I can get on.
trevoradare
trevoradare

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:18 pm

I have seen a Trophy with a tow-bar fitted at Wetherby racecourse, I am  not saying it was fitted incorrectly or correctly but it did have one, only wish I had looked closer!! I would have liked one on my Trophy
mike 
vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy

Back to top Go down