The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1994 Trophy VW

3 posters

Go down

1994 Trophy VW Empty 1994 Trophy VW

Post by RachelB Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 pm

I have just purchased 1994 Trophy auto sleeper, this is the first Campervan.

In heavy rain last week the footwell became wet, water was dripping onto the engine release pull but could not see where it was coming from.  Has anyone had a problem like this before?
RachelB
RachelB

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

1994 Trophy VW Empty Re: 1994 Trophy VW

Post by Roopert Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:44 pm

On a T4 with a high top, there are really only two likely possibilities in that location - one being the join between the A/S high top and the body, and the other a leak in the windscreen surround area. Of these, the latter is far more likely, in my opinion. I ~think~ you can rule out the door seals, because it's hard to see how it could get that far forward, and door seal leaks tend to track round the door opening anyway.

It can be quite difficult to work out exactly where the source is, and I think it's not unknown for people to have to remove the windscreen to find out for sure. IIRC the windscreen is bonded in on a T4, so it may just be a slight fault in the bonding. At the other extreme it can be serious corrosion hidden in the windscreen recess.

I had a similar problem on a Transit-based A/S conversion and was fearing the worst, but actually it turned out to be just an accumulation of crud at the bottom of the screen, which was causing rainwater to seep up through a fault in the screen bonding by capillary action. First step was to clean out the crud with Q-tips, and the second was a couple of applications of Craptain Crolley's Creeping Crack Cure, and it never caused a problem again.

[Edit: the other main area of leaks with that roof are the high top windows - but I don't see how water could track that far forward unless your normal parking space is nose-down on a mountainside...]
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Alf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RachelB Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:25 pm

Thank you, I tried pouring water onto the windscreen but so far no sign of water.  I am going to check the drain holes as well, the van was cleaned and I wonder if the muck from the roof etc might have blocked these.  I will let you know if I find out where the leak is!
RachelB
RachelB

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:53 pm

Hi Rachel,
Would put money on the windscreen well, a lot of crud, leaves all congregate in that area, like Roopert said give it a clean up and pass a bucket of water in it you'll soon see the issue develop.Once you've found the spot, put some clear silicone in its path.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:04 am

Hi Rachel.
Welcome to the forum from Bridington.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male