The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding door leak

5 posters

Go down

Sliding door leak Empty Sliding door leak

Post by marymarymitchell Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:46 am

Hi
Re: VW Trident T4 2006

On our last outing to Scotland we noticed water ingress at the inside bottom of the sliding door between the seal and the step.  The internal cloth facia on the door became wet and stained.  This is the first time we have had this happen.  All the rubber seals are sound and not perished and there is no obvious leak anywhere around the door.  We just can't figure out how it gets in.  We noticed the seals on the door only cover the front and bottom whilst the internal seals go all around but when closed it all seems tight.  

Anyone had similar problems, or can suggest where the water is getting in and how we might stop it.

Thanks
Mary
marymarymitchell
marymarymitchell

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : VW 2005

Back to top Go down

Sliding door leak Empty Re: Sliding door leak

Post by mikeandlizriley Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:48 am

I'm more of a T4 person myself but I do recall reading somewhere that T5s had a problem with leaking side windows. Could this be the reason for the water ingress? Can't say for sure but may be worth investigating.
mikeandlizriley
mikeandlizriley

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:12 pm

I have heard of this happening when the drain holes in the sliding side windows have become blocked with mastic / crud. Could this be the problem in your case?

I do not have a VW, but our Warwick Duo can suffer from the same sort of problem when the drain becomes blocked: it must be worth a look if your 'van has slide windows in the door.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:13 pm

marymarymitchell wrote:
Re: VW Trident T4 2006

As above, it's far more likely to be a T5 than a T4 (though not impossible, as it can sometimes take several years to sell a new van and they can sit around at dealers).

Our T5-based 2006 Trooper had a major problem with rainwater leakage around the sliding window in the sliding door. I tried several different things to fix it, but close examination revealed that it had been leaking for some time and the steel frame underneath the lower slide rail had rusted, causing the rail to distort, so that it would never seal properly. Eventually we bit the bullet and had it cut out (earlier this year) and a new aftermarket one bonded in. IIRC it cost around £200 all-in, but it helped that a neighbour works for Autoglass and so did the cutting out and replacing for £40! It no longer leaks.

The T5 sliding windows are a very neat. elegant design, but they are seriously flawed. My 2013 T5-based Celex window leaked from new and was replaced under warranty. It still leaks!

[Edit: BTW, if your lower door panel is badly stained, it may be worth considering replacing it with a Door Store - very handy for a bit of extra storage space for small things...]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Check out post   Water ingress in VW T5 sliding windows
Posted by frederic
frederic