The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding Door Leak

5 posters

Go down

Sliding Door Leak Empty Sliding Door Leak

Post by batch Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Merry Christmas to one and all
Has anyone got any tips on how to stop water ingress on top of the sliding door on a Peugeot Boxer [2012]. scratch head Iv'e stuck a plastic drip strip on the inside top of the door opening, similar to the type fitted on the new Autocruise PVC's and that has helped [a little] with water dripping in when you open the door but it's the occasional drip that finds it's way in when the door is closed that is my main concern as it is starting to stain the fabric door lining, I have had the door adjusted by the Peugeot dealer but has made absolutely no difference at all so it is due to go back in the new year for them to have another look at it , but to be honest I would rather resolve the problem myself if at all possible. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that has this problem so any tips any one. xmas_smilie

Batch
batch
batch

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Sliding Door Leak Empty Re: Sliding Door Leak

Post by scovell001 Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:25 am

Hi batch,

Here on the island, I've only seen 1 of these vans, so they're a bit 'rare' at the moment.

The best I would suggest is calling autosleepers direct or, getting some adhesive draught excluder from b&q and sticking that to the top of the sliding door.

Can you post a pic or 2 of the offending situation.

scovell001
scovell001

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto LE

Back to top Go down

Post by batch Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:37 pm

scovell001 wrote:Hi batch,

Here on the island, I've only seen 1 of these vans, so they're a bit 'rare' at the moment.

The best I would suggest is calling autosleepers direct or, getting some adhesive draught excluder from b&q and sticking that to the top of the sliding door.

Hi
The more that I look at the door and the rubber door seal the more I am convinced that it is the door seal that is the problem and not the door itself, possibly the interior trim that surrounds the door opening could have an effect on pushing the seal out of line it is something to check on when I get a spare 5 mins { and a dry day ]. I have attempted to post a couple of photos, but not having used photobucket before I am not sure if i am going to be successful, I can only but try ...........Sliding Door Leak 002_zps231e6a6a
batch
batch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by batch Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Very sorry, here's the other photo [ I hope ] confused3
Sliding Door Leak 008_zps9201cb4f
batch
batch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by batch Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:53 pm

[quote="batch"]

Hi
The more that I look at the door and the rubber door seal the more I am convinced that it is the door seal that is the problem and not the door itself, possibly the interior trim that surrounds the door opening could have an effect on pushing the seal out of line it is something to check on when I get a spare 5 mins { and a dry day ]. I have attempted to post a couple of photos, but not having used photobucket before I am not sure if i am going to be successful, I can only but try ...........

Missing photos ............... Sliding Door Leak 007_zps1a7abd9e
Sliding Door Leak 004_zps3876f6ba
batch
batch

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Several thoughts occur (I have had leaks on the seals of various old cars in the past); it seems clear that the door-top seal is not quite closing the gap for some reason. How is that awning fixed to the roof? if it is fastened through the roof at several points it might be distorting the roof door frame just enough to spoil the seal. Awnings are dead straight, roofs often are not.

The best way to check that the seal is tight is to trap a piece of paper in the seal and see if it is gripped, or pulls out with no resistance. Cut a 2"/50mm wide strip from a sheet of A4 and use this as a feeler gauge- if you make it wider, the results will not be conclusive. Trap it in and repeat, moving all along the top of the door.

Hopefully this will give you a clue where it is leaking; then we need to find a solution (I have some ideas on that too!).

Cheers,
Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Saw this thread yesterday on MHFacts. ...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by nimbus Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:55 am

We had the same problem with our Warwick Duo which was easily cured by fixing a rubber P section extrusion to the underside of the top of the door opening. I got the P42 extrusion from Seals Direct. The bulbous section makes light contact with the door when it's closed which also prevents the penetration of rainwater which can pool on the top of the door and drop into the van when the door is opened.

I posted some instructions and photographs on this and other stuff on this forum last year which you can find [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
nimbus

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by batch Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:50 pm

Thank you for your comments. Hopefully Iv'e resolved the leak with out the need of the peugeot dealer getting involved. Looking at the rubber door seal from the inside when the door was closed you could see that the rubber seal was not laying straight along the inside of the door, so with the door open I tapped along the underside of the rubber seal with a rubber mallet and then pushed and rolled the inside of the seal along the top length so that it was forcing the inner edge tighter underneath the wooden trim. We've had a fair bit of rain since and no sign of any drips, only time will tell, but with a bit of luck it has cured the problem. If not then I will try the P section again, it didn't seem to make a lot of difference when I last used it so I took it off again but may be I hadn't positioned it correctly......
Thanks again for your ideas. allthumbz

batch
batch

Male

Back to top Go down