The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham Microwave

4 posters

Go down

Kingham Microwave Empty Kingham Microwave

Post by bristol170kj Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:01 am

After going over a serious pot hole on the M1 that I didn't see until it was too late I have found the Microwave has been shaken loose.

On investigation I have found that the microwave has been screwed in with 4 self tappers.  The two front screws have stripped the hole in the bottom of the microwave chassis.

My first thought was to replace with a couple of slightly larger self tappers but searching my garage I only have ones that are also slightly longer and don't want to punch a hole through into the microwave cabinet.  Also I don't want to have to make the cabinet holes much bigger. 

So just off to B&Q to see if a) They have a shorter "larger" self tapper or b) have a small nut and bolt I could feed through a "key-hole".

But what I would really like to do is make a better job of it. 

Has anyone done this?  I haven't removed the Microwave a yet so don't know if there are any fixing nuts underneath. Has anyone removed the microwave that Autosleeper fits?  Mine is 2.5 years old but I think they still fit the same model.  What is it like underneath - are there any bolt holes I could use.

Alternatively has anyone any knowledge of a Microwave fitting kit (Kitchen or Motorhome)?

Looking for any ideas or suggestions.

MTIA
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Kingham Microwave Empty Re: Kingham Microwave

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:39 am

Just a thought, when my shower fitting came loose with the self tappers, I tapped a thread into the wood and used a bolt to tighten it back on, you maybe able to tap a thread for a bolt of the right length
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:25 pm

bristol170kj wrote:After going over a serious pot hole on the M1 that I didn't see until it was too late I have found the Microwave has been shaken loose.

On investigation I have found that the microwave has been screwed in with 4 self tappers.  The two front screws have stripped the hole in the bottom of the microwave chassis.

My first thought was to replace with a couple of slightly larger self tappers but searching my garage I only have ones that are also slightly longer and don't want to punch a hole through into the microwave cabinet.  Also I don't want to have to make the cabinet holes much bigger. 

So just off to B&Q to see if a) They have a shorter "larger" self tapper or b) have a small nut and bolt I could feed through a "key-hole".

Has anyone done this?  I haven't removed the Microwave a yet so don't know if there are any fixing nuts underneath. Has anyone removed the microwave that Autosleeper fits?  Mine is 2.5 years old but I think they still fit the same model.  What is it like underneath - are there any bolt holes I could use.

Alternatively has anyone any knowledge of a Microwave fitting kit (Kitchen or Motorhome)?

MTIA

- A quick update.  I found the same length screw one size larger.  I have tried replacing the two loose screws and the Microwave is back to its normal secure state.  I may have a further think on how to make this a better installation which will need the complete removal of the Microwave to investigate the underneath.  I would have preferred a nut/bolt assembly to hold it but it is good for now.  A project for when I have a weekend to go at it!
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:46 pm

I have previously removed the microwave in my Nuevo to enable me to connect up a satellite input. This was also held with 4 self tapping screws. I did think at the time it was a very poor way of fixing such a heavy item but it has always been secure. The screws just go into the bottom metal casing which has been drilled by A/S.
Would be interesting how other manufacturers secure them?

Last edited by moggyminor1966 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:54 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:I have previously removed the microwave in my Nuevo to enable me to connect up a satellite input. This was also held with 4 self tapping screws. I did think at tge time it was a very poor way of fixing such a heavy item but it has always been secure. The screws just go into the bottom meral casing which has been drilled by A/S.
Would be interesting how other manufacturers secure them?
Yes, I agree.  If I can remember I'll have a look in the showroom next time I'm passing my local dealer (they have a number of manufactures models).
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:52 pm

I have a 2014 Warwick Duo and the microwave is just held with four self-tappers as described; so it seems something of an A-S standard. The microwave has never come loose and works perfectly well.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:25 pm

bristol170kj wrote:After going over a serious pot hole on the M1 that I didn't see until it was too late I have found the Microwave has been shaken loose.

MTIA

Another update. ...  This weekend, again the Microwave came loose so I decided to remove it completely to see what was going on.

Yes the factory simply drills and screws 4 self tappers into the chassis of the microwave.  But the chassis is made from a very thin steel.  The large self tappers I screwed before have now ripped through the metal.  So I decided this was not a good solution for holding this heavy item in place.

Having removed the microwave I unscrewed and removed the outer case with the 4 screws at the rear.  I then cut three pieces of wood around 3/4" thick.  One each for the front screws and a longer piece for the two rear screws.  The front pieces were glued into place and the rear one drilled and screwed into place.  This still left plenty of air space around the timber and was away from any electrical items.  This then gave me something more substantial to screw into through the underside of the cupboard.

All is now firmly in place and we shall see if this solves my problem as we are soon off to deepest darkest southern France for 3 weeks (after grandparent duties are over for the summer).
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sylvester1954 Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Like most owners I listen with a worried ear to the bangs and crashes as I drive over pot holes and cracks in the road. Following this post I have paid particular attention to the microwave in my Kingham as it does rattle alarmingly too. However I am interested why you havent contacted AS about this item...Is the van still in warrenty ? I am sure that they should be notified about what is potentialy a structural weakness.
sylvester1954
sylvester1954

Male

Member Age : 64
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bristol170kj Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:08 am

sylvester1954 wrote:Like most owners I listen with a worried ear to the bangs and crashes as I drive over pot holes and cracks in the road. Following this post I have paid particular attention to the microwave in my Kingham as it does rattle alarmingly too. However I am interested why you havent contacted AS about this item...Is the van still in warrenty ? I am sure that they should be notified about what is potentialy a structural weakness.
Hi, it is out of warranty by about 6 months.
bristol170kj
bristol170kj

Male

Back to top Go down