The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microwave rattle Warwick XL

+10
rogerblack
SENTINEL
mikethebike
Suppersready
IanH
Kemerton-bath
Relaxez-Vous
Kdc
Dbvwt
IanJohnson
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Microwave rattle Warwick XL Empty Microwave rattle Warwick XL

Post by IanJohnson Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:00 pm

We have a really annoying rattle and sometimes metallic squeak which appears to be from the microwave or nearby and I was wondering if anyone had experience rattles/squeaks from the microwave itself or even the sliding door. The sound seems to come from those locations at above head height when driving, I don't  think its from the fridge or the oven. Any ideas gratefully received.
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Microwave rattle Warwick XL Empty Re: Microwave rattle Warwick XL

Post by Dbvwt Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:15 pm

I’m not sure if we have the same microwave (Daewoo) but I had terrible squeaks and rattles from the back of my van. I checked the screws, fixings, internal glass plate etc… of the microwave and all looked fine so I ruled it out.
6 months later, I decided to remove the microwave anyway as the space was better used for storage. The rattles disappeared overnight.
There are things that can improve matters but IMO they basically rattle!! 

I and many others have gone to great lengths to limit the rattles so the microwave may be just one problem. Getting someone to listen in the affected area while driving has worked for me but obviously that may not be safe or legal.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

IanJohnson and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanJohnson Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:40 pm

Thanks for that, I think that might be the problem. Did you put a door on the space left when you removed the microwave?
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:50 pm

Rgermain on here has also done the same mod with similar great results I believe.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

IanJohnson and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:50 pm

There were many rattles when I first brought my xl which I have eliminated over time one by one,I believe this is a common course of action. The microwave was a major contributor which was resolved by removing and refitting once I discovered the mounting screws in the base we’re not holding the unit securely. I think there were a fare few posts regarding this issue a couple of years back which if you search for will possible give you an insight. By nibbling away at these annoying rattles they can be cured.
Good Luck with the task…..
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:41 pm

Many have reported a similar finding that their microwave rattles. Some have removed their microwave others beefed up the mountings with rivnuts. Our microwave did rattle from new and my cure was to simply jamb a couple of small lengths of clear silicon tubing that I bought on eBay in the gap above the top edge. We still have some rattles but none from our microwave. Though we haven't used our microwave much but we can cook on electric when LPG gas in future might become scarce.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL

Back to top Go down

Post by IanJohnson Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:08 pm

Thanks everyone. I think I  may remove it just to confirm it is the guilty party. I might even take the back off it focused if there is something loose inside. I may end up leaving it out and maybe fitting a door.
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:27 pm

If it’s a Daewoo microwave like ours then the incessant squeak may well be the hinge pins at the top and bottom of the door, where they fit into the frame. The metal-to-metal squeak caused by these elements was really troublesome but successfully solved by application of some lithium grease as per the link below.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

IanJohnson and babian like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:55 pm

Only know Warwick Duo, but had to remove mine to install solar.
As an engineer I was horrified to find it held down by small self tapping screws drilled into the very thin metal base of the microwave.
A much better solution is to drill out these holes and install rivnuts, M4 or M5 or even M6. The same holes the stupid wee self tappers went in can then be drilled to whatever M size you used + .5mm and then SS setscrews used to fix the thing down. I'd also add rubber "washers" between the structure and the microwave.
As we only used our as a bread bin, it was close to becoming a binned bin!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

IanJohnson and babian like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanJohnson Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:56 am

Thanks Tim. I can’t make it squeak from the hinges. I am thinking it something actually inside the microwave itself. Perhaps when I take it out I may be able to Look inside and see what it is.
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

Back to top Go down

Microwave rattle Warwick XL Empty THank you

Post by IanJohnson Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:00 am

Did it rattle and squeak before you fixed it down properly, if so did that cure it?
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:23 pm

My rattle was from the central drive that turns the plate. I slid a small piece of plastic under one of the three spigots …  no more rattles

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

IanJohnson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:52 pm

I keep mine on the floor when moving.Its heavy and i dont like heavy items up high!
No noise.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by IanJohnson Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:13 pm

Just a progress report. Thanks everyone for your contributions and suggestions. I removed the microwave this afternoon and went for a test drive. Huge difference, it certainly was the main offender. There are still some squeaks when I go over deep manholes or really rough concrete roads but nothing like before, things are much quieter. I think the main contender now is the kitchen roll holder as there are metal to metal parts and being attached to the wall every bump must go through it. I think the loss of the microwave will be easily compensated for by using the space as storage.
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

Dbvwt and SENTINEL like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:27 pm

Best use for the space IMHO!
Especially as microwave can only be used on EHU. Some pics somewhere on here of what others have done with the new space
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:45 pm

IanJohnson wrote:Just a progress report. Thanks everyone for your contributions and suggestions. I removed the microwave this afternoon and went for a test drive. Huge difference, it certainly was the main offender. There are still some squeaks when I go over deep manholes or really rough concrete roads but nothing like before, things are much quieter. I think the main contender now is the kitchen roll holder as there are metal to metal parts and being attached to the wall every bump must go through it. I think the loss of the microwave will be easily compensated for by using the space as storage.

Kitchen towel holder was the first thing I removed … big difference

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by SENTINEL Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:21 pm

A bit late in the conversation perhaps but like others we removed our microwave....rattly, heavy, awkward height to use and in fact never used (except for storage)!
We didn't achieve such a professionally finished look as e.g.. Dbvwt's tambour door, but fitted an upstand to hold stuff in (this is easily removable), covered the vent hole with a mesh panel on the inside to stop insects getting in but allowing ventilation to continue. The 240v socket still functions and is a good place to charge phones etc. We use  the storage for paper towel rolls and other sundry items!
In winter months we screen the vent to prevent incoming icy blasts!
So far it has worked out very well....a useful space and one less thing to rattle.
SENTINEL
SENTINEL
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : EX-SYMBOL

mikethebike, Dbvwt and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:40 pm

We obviously bucked the trend!  

Our van didn't come with a microwave, so I fitted one. Removed the two hinged doors in the cupboard above the drinks cabinet over the fridge and fitted it there, after adding ventilation. For the smaller shelf above I made a front cover which fixes with Velcro, we just use that to store bags for shopping etc.  I've safely stored the doors so we can refit them should we ever sell the van on. 

Any rattles are dealt with in our usual way - wrapping tea-towels around loose parts such as the turntable when in transit.  We also use it to store our microwavable containers.

We never wild camp off grid, prefer full facility club/ACSI sites and when using basic CL/CS type sites we generally have EHU if available. We do use the microwave a lot for milky drinks, ready meals and reheating food so we wouldn't be without it. It also saves using water for washing up saucepans, which also helps keep the waste tank free of grease. 

I also carry a single induction hob and electric frypan/slow cooker, so we make the most of our EHU supply!

That's the great thing about our hobby, we can all adapt our vans to suit our own individual needs as required - there's no right or wrong way, each to their own.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

mikethebike, MelB, Sarah Harley and CroftBadger like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanJohnson Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:14 pm

All done and tambour door fitted, very pleased with result, thanks to Dbvwt for the tips.
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

Dbvwt and SENTINEL like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:32 pm

I wrote a long script about fitting the tambour door on facebook Warwick owners site when ask by a member. Never heard a thing from him since, why do they waste our time?

Very pleased I fitted ours and blocked up the outside vent with a top from a Cadburys Cocoa tub, nice tight fit. Still got all the rattles though.

Do folks actually travel with the glass plate in the microwave?
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by IanJohnson Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:13 pm

If people do travel with the microwave plate, roller or metal shelf in place they must be either deaf or daft😀
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:24 pm

Inspired by this thread I have taken the microwave out of my Warwick XL. I used a 50cm towel rail on the front of the shelf, and screwed a 50cm magnetic knife block that sits flush with the bottom of the shelf that protrudes 15cm at the top of the shelf so between the 2 nothing will fall out when driving and looks rather good. I'm using the knife block for the fridge magnets to go onto.

Huge difference whilst driving so much quieter.
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Microwave rattle Warwick XL Empty Microwave Noise

Post by IanJohnson Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:51 pm

Suppersready wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:Just a progress report. Thanks everyone for your contributions and suggestions. I removed the microwave this afternoon and went for a test drive. Huge difference, it certainly was the main offender. There are still some squeaks when I go over deep manholes or really rough concrete roads but nothing like before, things are much quieter. I think the main contender now is the kitchen roll holder as there are metal to metal parts and being attached to the wall every bump must go through it. I think the loss of the microwave will be easily compensated for by using the space as storage.

Homebase sell little plastic/rubber wedges, I fond that one of these pushed into the top off the kitchen roll holder stops it rattling.
IanJohnson
IanJohnson

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:57 pm

IanJohnson wrote:
Suppersready wrote:

Homebase sell little plastic/rubber wedges, I fond that one of these pushed into the top off the kitchen roll holder stops it rattling.

Cant say I have noticed the kitchen roll holder rattling, I always have a Costco kitchen roll on it which is to big for the holder really but it does. Maybe its stopping any rattles.
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Microwave rattle Warwick XL Empty Microwave rattle Kingham

Post by Caught1once Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:29 pm

We too were treated to continues rattles from the microwave in our 2019 Kingham, this was taken in and adjusted by the dealer and was ok for 5 mins.
On returning to the dealer it was again inspected and the screws had become loose resulting in the casing becoming damaged.
A replacement microwave was supplied and appears to be a different model which to date seems to be better.
Caught1once
Caught1once

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham pvc

wiganchris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next