The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Rear view camera with iPad?

2 posters

Go down

Using Rear view camera with iPad? Empty Using Rear view camera with iPad?

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Does anyone know if you can use an iPad as a monitor hard wired for a rear view camera. Is the mirror view on the camera or would you need an app on the iPad. I think you can get wifi versions but not heard good reports on reversing camera systems using wifi.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Using Rear view camera with iPad? Empty Re: Using Rear view camera with iPad?

Post by meanchris Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm constantly looking into this kind of option for a reversing camera.

I have a 5" Yada wireless reversing camera, which is OK, but I'd prefer a narrower angle of view then its 170 degrees (because that makes it difficult to judge distances) and I'd prefer 720p or 1080p over its 480 TVL (as that would make the picture details clearer)

I don't think that you can use the iPad (or Android tablet like my Hudl2) as a monitor, except via a wireless connection. What you would need is an HD/FullHD wireless P2P IP camera (Peer to peer), and there are a few interesting devices just starting to appear on the market, mostly direct from China, but also a couple in the UK - Like these from Micronic:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These both have a battery pack and USB charge ports, with a 90 degree angle of view, the immediate problem being that neither is 'outdoor', so not waterproof.

I have the idea of poking the first one, with its remote lens module, through the back window of our Exec, as you could shut the window onto the flat ribbon cable.

IMHO, there's a gap in the market for a reversing camera that matches up to some of the ones I've seen in modern cars as manufacturer fitted devices, like the very good one I saw in a VW Polo that SWMBO hired recently.

EDIT: The other problems with WiFi, that you refer to, are that you can get signal dropouts, and that there's always 'latency' i.e a delay between what the camera sees and the image appearing on your screen.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:46 pm

There are quite a few cheapish wifi action cams about nowadays, such as the SJCam M10+
Which could probably be tweaked to suit your needs? there are quite a few others about, apart from this one, loads of GoPro clones for less than £100

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:27 pm

I've also looked at the SJCams and clones Frank, I'm not sure that there's anything which really fits the bill yet though.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:00 am

Thank you to all for the info. Thinking off the wall, you can hardwire your photo camera to import the pics onto the iPad, so just thought with an app maybe it could be done with a reversing camera. I might try the wireless way and mount the camera inside the back window.

I wonder if I could hard wire the dash cam I have?

Last edited by Redwink on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Small thought)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:18 pm

I have a Mobius camera as a dash cam, which has a TV/Video out function for FPV flying, but the same problems as current reversing cameras - i.e. Relatively low resolutionfrom the video out port, and wide viewing angle.

I've already had a reversing camera which was mounted looking through the rear window (fitted by the previous owners). I can't remember the make but it was quite an expensive wireless lorry type camera with a 3.5" dedicated display. I gave it to my caravanning pal because it was useless.

My sincere opinion is that reversing sensors are more useful than the current crop of poor resolution wide angle cameras.
We're probably going to have some fitted to the van this year.

Incidentally, I have an Aldi wireless full HD (1080p) IP security camera. If that was smaller I'd be tempted to mount it up high on the rear of the van and use it as a reversing camera as the picture quality is phenomenal.
It should require a fixed router, and the helpline says it will only work with a fixed router because it requires an ethernet connection to set up the wireless functions, but I tricked it into connecting to a MiFi by temporarily making my home router's SSID the same as the MIFi's normal SSID, it then connected happily to the MiFi and I did try it looking through the rear window, but the picture latency problem was still there, and SWMBO wasn't too impressed with having a dockin' great camera above the draining board, so I sacked that idea as well. hugegrins
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:33 pm

So the Mobius's video line out is not the same res as it's recording? Something I didn't know, mind you, it is not something I've used. I was going to suggest a Mobius because of the brilliant video quality I get from mine, but I'm glad I didn't now content

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:48 pm

I'm pretty sure that it's analogue composite video of 480 or 576 TVL Frank, so no better than your average mediocre reversing camera.

I have no idea why some enterprising Chinese company hasn't caught onto this gap in the market yet.
Combining 5GHz with 1080p or even 720p over an FPV style interface would make a superb reversing camera with auto channel hopping, high resolution, low latency etc.

EDIT:

Here's a good explanation of why using an SJ4000 or similar can be problematic, for example, having to turn the SJ4000 video out function on manually every time you start the camera (obviously useless for a reversing cam), and showing the effects of latency.

meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:11 pm

If anyone wants to experiment with using a Mobius as a reversing camera, here are two videos to show why I don't think that it's worth it.
The first shows how simple it is to connect to a 5.8GHz FPV transmitter - no problem there and pretty cheap compared with a dedicated reversing camera.

The second shows the difference between the Mobius' recorded FullHD videos, which are phenomenally good, and the live TV out quality, which is pretty poor.

meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:18 pm

What about a WiFi webcam? like
For instance? Or would that be just as bad?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:57 pm

That's, effectively, similar to the Lidl (did I say Aldi, oops) security camera that we have, which is the same as this one (did I say 1080p, oops, it's 720p)

The only issue that I could find was size, weight and the usual latency over WiFi.

The one you linked to has it's own wireless AP, so should be able to connect directly to a phone or tablet, although it's not outdoor rated.
It also uses the ONVIF protocol, which IIRC means that you don't need a special app, you can connect to it over the internet with a web browser.

Another issue for us is that I've found that our Yada high mounted camera gives a non-intuitive view. I'd prefer a lower level view but then we have the bike rack in the way, and (another problem) the IR lighting at night reflects from anything light coloured (especially aluminium) so the glare prevents me from seeing obstacles.
A number plate mount might help, but then it would get dirty almost immediately, and we still have the high view angle. I want something between 90 and 120 degrees, but I've already spent enough money experimenting to be wary until something exactly right comes along.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:57 pm

I have read all the topics on using the iPad with a camera.
Because I always have bikes on the back and reluctant to drill holes in the main body, I think I have decided to install a bullet camera in the rear valance, run the cables under the van and up to the dashboard with a seven inch monitor.
Am I insane to do this?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:37 pm

No, I'd do the same with what's currently available.

I'd say research cameras and monitors carefully to see whether you can achieve good resolution and clarity, and choose the camera angle VERY carefully, so that you get a good idea of distance.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks for that Chris, I seem to have read somewhere a 90 degree angle is best, just wish I could find the information again
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:48 pm

I've previously said here that 90º is best, but it depends on your preference, opinions may vary.

Our Yada WiFi camera is about 110º, and I find that to be too wide to judge distance, not helped by my having put the camera above the rear window angled down on our Exec.

You live and learn.

I'm still waiting for a camera with the image quality of something like the Mobius, but designed either as a specific reversing camera, or a small IP67 rated IP (Internet Protocol) camera.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:49 am

I have just sent for a very cheap system off eBay, just to give me something to test and play with. It will give me chance to check camera position. If it fails it will go into my camper box in the garage with all the other bits and pieces I keep but never use
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 am

I now have the cheap rear view camera setup from eBay and it seems ok from a few tests done. I intend to run the cables under the van by the chassis to the engine bay. But not sure how to get the cables into the dashboard area as it does not seem to have any holes to poke the wires through in the engine bay, has anybody done this please?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down