The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005

+4
roli
meanchris
daisy mae
dean01982
8 posters

Go down

Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005 Empty Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005

Post by dean01982 Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi all, new to the forum, just bought a autosleeper dorset 2005, i would like to fit a reverse camera to the van but im lost with where the cable would run from front to back, any help on this or any advice on decent cameras that wont cost a bomb would be mich appreciated, thank you
dean01982
dean01982

Male

Member Age : 42
Auto-Sleeper Model : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005 Empty Re: Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005

Post by daisy mae Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Hello and asof_welcome2 from Leicestershire.

I am not familiar with your van, on mine I have the twin cameras can recommend them, wired through the high level brake light hole and sealed, I paid £169 for the cameras with a 7" rear view mirror screen, one of the best buys I have, Had a mobile MH engineer fit it on my drive, if you go to a show they will fit them there also.

My wiring does go through the cabinets to the front and the bulkhead , most are fitted by taking under the van from the rear to the front and coming up under the dash board.that is less hassle as the guy when fitting said the trouble with Auto-sleepers they are too well built. he had to take cupboards out.

I wouldn`t like to be without my cameras, one to see  the rear at all times then change camera to reverse, or switch off altogether. mine isn`t linked to the reverse as I didn`t want that I prefer to choose which camera I use at any given time.it does come on automatically when I switch the ignition on.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005 Empty Re: Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005

Post by dean01982 Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi, thank you  allthumbz, glad iv foind this site, going to come in handy,, first of all thank you for your speedy responce, can i ask how the camera was fitted to the vehicle? Also where abouts? Im guessing installation of such thing isnt overly cheap but well worth it
dean01982
dean01982

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:40 am

IMHO, reversing cameras are one gadget that haven't yet quite caught up with the best examples of technology available to other applications.

You can buy a superb 1080p dash cam for very little money, and a full HD tablet for under £100, WiFi is ubiquitous, but you have to put up with wired VGA reversing cameras, an application where a little thoughtful design would provide a very useful product.

I've been looking for a decent good value reversing camera for a couple of years, and I haven't really found one.

All that's required is the guts of a Mobius action camera (with its choice of lenses) combined with the bits for 5GHz FPV and a 7" HD FPV monitor or 2.4GHz and a tablet like a Hudl2 capable of connecting to a mobile AP.
I can't quite figure out why some enterprising Chinese company hasn't twigged so far. 

I currently have a Yada 5" wireless camera/monitor combo, but I have to say it's a bit flakey.

Let us know if you find something that you're really happy with, in terms of resolution, clarity, view angle and price.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:56 am

I recently saw a device, Screen (Txr & Rcr & Ant) and a wifi camera originally meant to go on a clone or model helicopter.  It was licence free and cost £38 from a web site (think it was Banggood)  In the application I saw it was radio amateurs playing ATV.

There would be no wiring and both units were compactish and IMO was better than some of the camera kits being sold for rear view either wifi or wired, also cheaper!

Our Twin Camera system on the van comes in through the rear cupboards through the floor along the chassis and up into the cab and whilst its ok I wouldnt change it for the sake of it but had I seen one of these devices prior to fitting there would be no need to ponder what system to go for
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:09 am

roli wrote:I recently saw a device, Screen (Txr & Rcr & Ant) and a wifi camera originally meant to go on a clone or model helicopter.  It was licence free and cost £38 from a web site (think it was Banggood)  In the application I saw it was radio amateurs playing ATV.

There would be no wiring and both units were compactish and IMO was better than some of the camera kits being sold for rear view either wifi or wired, also cheaper!

Our Twin Camera system on the van comes in through the rear cupboards through the floor along the chassis and up into the cab and whilst its ok I wouldnt change it for the sake of it but had I seen one of these devices prior to fitting there would be no need to ponder what system to go for

I had a look at Banggood a while back to see if they had anything (I've got a WLToys V959  up!) so I'll have another look around.

I'm currently experimenting with an HD IP camera and mobile router as a reversing/rearview camera, which may have the added benefit of "go shopping/pet surveillance van security", if anyone's interested. winks
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:23 am

dean01982 wrote:Hi, thank you  allthumbz, glad iv foind this site, going to come in handy,, first of all thank you for your speedy responce, can i ask how the camera was fitted to the vehicle? Also where abouts? Im guessing installation of such thing isnt overly cheap but well worth it
it is screwed and sealed just above the high rear brake light. at shows they usually have a good price on supply and they fit. also you can see the different models,

As with everything you get what you pay for, penny wise pound foolish , as safety is an aspect here which is more important. ?

Last edited by daisy mae on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Another sentence.)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005 Empty Might be of some help..

Post by m8form8 Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 66
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by dean01982 Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi thank you all for your replies, definitely food for thought, i was looking atbthe ones that are fitted into a replacement top brake light, but all the ones iv seen have stated that there 2007 models onwards only, although it does look the same as my 2005, this would spare me drilling holes if it would fit. Are there grommits in the footwells at the front of most vans to get the cable back in if i decided to run the cable underneath the vehicle? Thanks in advance
dean01982
dean01982

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:58 pm

roli wrote:I recently saw a device, Screen (Txr & Rcr & Ant) and a wifi camera originally meant to go on a clone or model helicopter.  It was licence free and cost £38 from a web site (think it was Banggood)  In the application I saw it was radio amateurs playing ATV.

I've had a quick look, but can't find what you describe in amongst all the other BGood gadgetry, do you have a link, as well as a good memory?  hugegrins
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005 Empty Avoid cheap wireless reversing cameras

Post by edmason Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:24 pm

I'd certainly echo the advice to go for a more expensive wired camera. I've had several of the cheap woreless ones from Amazon, and none lasted more than 3 months.
edmason
edmason

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Help with reverse camera for boxer 2005 Empty Rear View Camera

Post by jerryf Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:30 pm

I am not familiar with your van but the following thread from when I had the same query for our Symbol might have a couple of useful hints.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have just noticed a typo in the old thread:  for best visibility 120 degrees camera should do for reversing and 90 degrees for rear view.

Glad to say that our system is still performing well and would not be without it.

Hope this helps
jerryf
jerryf

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:12 pm

My feeling is that all reversing camera systems are currently well behind state of the art, with low res cameras and small low res monitors.

What's needed is a minimum of 720p camera and monitor, and my own preference is for not such a wide angle camera, to further improve resolution, detail, and give a more realistic, intuitive,  viewing angle.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Well I am more than pleased with mine, wouldn`t be without it , I have seen enough of the higher technology , in my husbands latest car, no thank you , if it works,  is simple to use what more do you want ?

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 pm

daisy mae wrote:Well I am more than pleased with mine, wouldn`t be without it , I have seen enough of the higher technology , in my husbands latest car, no thank you , if it works,  is simple to use what more do you want ?

Higher resolution, bigger monitor, more intuitive viewing angle.  up! and erm, cheaper.  hugegrins
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:23 pm

meanchris wrote:
daisy mae wrote:Well I am more than pleased with mine, wouldn`t be without it , I have seen enough of the higher technology , in my husbands latest car, no thank you , if it works,  is simple to use what more do you want ?

Higher resolution, bigger monitor, more intuitive viewing angle.  up! and erm, cheaper.  hugegrins
I can see everything clearly, why would I want a monitor bigger than 7" ? it is on my rear view mirror, viewing angle I don`t have a problem with, new improved is usually not in my experience.

If any one wants to spend money on gizmos that is fine , doesn`t say they will work any better for me. I have what i  want  to suit me for the job I want it to do, not to keep up or bypass the jones or it is the best thing since sliced bread. no slight  intended. smile!
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:53 am

On my previous camper I used a wireless system which I will also be putting on the Nuevo when the weather warms up a little bit.

They are fairly low cost and work well as long as the sender and receiver units aren't blocked by lots of metal, so the GRP body etc shouldn't be an issue in an AS.

I got mine from Amazon, just search for wireless reversing camera and plenty come up if you don't want to go the wired route as it certainly beats having to run wires and drill holes throughout the M/H.

The sender/receivers can be purchased separately too and just use a standard video lead connection.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down