The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar Panel

3 posters

Go down

Solar Panel Empty Solar Panel

Post by greycaster Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:43 pm

I have a Warwick XL fitted with a 80W solar panel. I have been advised that when I put my van into storage I should isolate the 12v system at the main control box under the rear lounge seat. Am I right in saying that when the 12v system has been isolated, only the leisure battery is being charged from the solar panel. I left my van in storage for 2 months and found the vehicle battery to be flat and needed to be jump started, possibly due to powering up the alarm system. Can anyone tell me if the 80W panel is large enough to keep both batteries charged if I don't isolate the 12v system.
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Solar Panel Empty Re: Solar Panel

Post by Greyhound Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 pm

If kept outside during the spring/summer months I don't see why the solar panel wouldn't maintain both batteries.

The drain from alarms etc shouldn't be a match for 80W solar panel - I checked mine this morning (100W but not a massive difference) and it was in 'float' mode by 7.30am.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by greycaster Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Anybody know what the output should be from an 80W panel. At present it is only showing .3 of an amp but the batteries are fully charged at the moment.
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Back to top Go down

Solar Panel Empty Re: Solar Panel

Post by Peter Brown Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:49 pm

greycaster wrote:Am I right in saying that when the 12v system has been isolated, only the leisure battery is being charged from the solar panel.

Can anyone tell me if the 80W panel is large enough to keep both batteries charged if I don't isolate the 12v system.

Yes you are right, only the leisure battery will be charged.  Yes an 80w solar panel is large enough to keep both batteries charged.

Finally if both batteries are charged and you are not using the 12v supply then the current out of the solar panel will be minimal.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by greycaster Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will keep an eye on the panel output when I am camping off grid.
greycaster
greycaster

Male

Back to top Go down