The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar generator

+4
-mojo-
modelman
d.l.hunter
Joony
8 posters

Go down

Solar generator Empty Solar generator

Post by Joony Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:22 pm

winks Hi I have read as much as I can in this forum about solar panels. I'm still having blonde moments and would be grateful if anyone can help. 
I have bought a 13 w solar generator from Maplins it can plug into the cigarette lighter which is live when ignition off. I bought it because we are going camping for 4 days with no electric hook up and thought it would help keep the leisure battery trickle charged. 
After reading forums I'm now not sure, if it is plugged into cigarette lighter which battery is being trickled charged ? We will obviously be using gas for most things, so it will only be lights radio, and recharging phone etc. the more I read about solar panels the more confused I feel. Help please 
dont_mentionIt
Joony
Joony

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Solar generator Empty Solar panel

Post by d.l.hunter Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:49 pm

Hello Jooney. I stand to be corrected, but as I understand the way it all works you would only be topping up your starter battery from the cigar lighter socket. If you want to top up the leisure battery you would need to fit crocadile clips to the panel lead and clip them on your battery direct. This saves messing around with trying to get into the split charge system. Hope this helps, regards, David.

Male

Back to top Go down

Solar generator Empty Solar panel

Post by d.l.hunter Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:52 pm

Sorry Joony. I gave you an "e" where I shouldnt have---please forgive confused3.

Male

Back to top Go down

Solar generator Empty Re: Solar generator

Post by Joony Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:02 pm

d.l.hunter wrote:Hello Jooney. I stand to be corrected, but as I understand the way it all works you would only be topping up your starter battery from the cigar lighter socket. If you want to top up the leisure battery you would need to fit crocadile clips to the panel lead and clip them on your battery direct. This saves messing around with trying to get into the split charge system. Hope this helps, regards, David.

Thank you for your help much appreciated up!
Joony
Joony

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Remember, a 13w panel will only generate 13w or so in FULL DAYLIGHT, max, & I don't think that even the full 13w wouldn't make much difference.

I started out with a 25w panel & it was virtually un-noticeable, I fitted 2 x 40w units on the roof & I feel that the 80w keeps both hab batteries charged.

Others more knowledgeable than me may argue the fact, but I consider 40w to be the minimum to keep you self-contained with electrickery hugegrins 

But try & hook it up to the leisure battery & see how you get on, it may well keep you going if you don't use it much.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Joony Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Thank you Modelman for your reply, think I maybe taking it back to the shop then. up!
Joony
Joony

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:17 am

As above, 13W is probably not enough to replace daily use - especially if you have halogen bulb internal lighting rather than LEDs.

However, if you aren't able to put your van on electric hookup when used infrequently during the winter, a 13W panel should easily replace the small current drains that you get on the starter battery from things like the radio/CD and alarm (if you have one), so it may not be entirely useless!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:11 am

You would have to connect the 13W panel directly to the battery which is not practical as it is under the floor in front of the passenger seat because the cigar lighter socket is only connected with ignition on!
Take it back - it isn't man enough to do anything and also impractical.  Sorry!

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:30 am

inspiredron wrote:You would have to connect the 13W panel directly to the battery which is not practical as it is under the floor in front of the passenger seat because the cigar lighter socket is only connected with ignition on!

Joony has already said in the first post that his cigar lighter socket is live with ignition off and as has been said, 13w is more than adequate for keeping battery topped up when vehicle not being used. I use a 2.4w panel on my habitation battery when parked on my drive (direct with croc clips as my battery is under driver seat), there is no drain on the habitation battery when not used. I also have a 4.8w panel connected into cigar lighter (mine is also live with ignition off) and that again is perfectly adequate to keep the vehicle battery topped up when unused to replace any power taken by my radio and alarm. I have left the van for up to six weeks without starting the engine and it will start first time. I'm not saying 13w is adequate for topping up while van is used but in storage 13w is more than enough.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Paulmold wrote:
inspiredron wrote:You would have to connect the 13W panel directly to the battery which is not practical as it is under the floor in front of the passenger seat because the cigar lighter socket is only connected with ignition on!

Joony has already said in the first post that his cigar lighter socket is live with ignition off and as has been said, 13w is more than adequate for keeping battery topped up when vehicle not being used. I use a 2.4w panel on my habitation battery when parked on my drive (direct with croc clips as my battery is under driver seat), there is no drain on the habitation battery when not used. I also have a 4.8w panel connected into cigar lighter (mine is also live with ignition off) and that again is perfectly adequate to keep the vehicle battery topped up when unused to replace any power taken by my radio and alarm. I have left the van for up to six weeks without starting the engine and it will start first time. I'm not saying 13w is adequate for topping up while van is used but in storage 13w is more than enough.
Apologies:  I had not noticed the OP's comment that cigar lighter was live. However, on a previous van I tried a small panel ( I think 18W) and did not find it at all useful, even for replenishing alarm and clock drain. I still had to use the mains hookup from time to time.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:33 pm

You will need something bigger when you are on site, I use a 60 watt free standing solar panel and it copes very well as my wife has an air pump that has to run all night and we recharge her mobility scooter from the battery as well. The advantage of a free standing one is that you can move it around to face the sun and so maintain a high charge rate. The disadvantaged is it is more easily stolen
Shubberdog
Shubberdog

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Talisman+Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Joony

What size (Amp Hour) leisure battery do you have?  It may well be that, fully charged at home, it could easily cope with light use for 4 days.

If you do go the mini solar panel route why not stick a multi meter (if you have one) on the battery before and after a solar charging period - then you'll KNOW if it's doing anything for you.

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sold -

Back to top Go down