The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Source for Solar Power

+3
Dutto
deckie
roli
7 posters

Go down

New Source for Solar Power Empty New Source for Solar Power

Post by roli Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:42 pm

For some time now I have been thinking of replacing the solar panel regulator on our van for something better and have been looking around the internet at prices for one particular unit.

I found a supplier, not one of the regular motorhome suppliers who was over £20 cheaper than others on the internet for the same product. Had a look at their panel prices and they were very competitive too.

I went over and collected the regulator and had a chat with Andy the owner who will be happy to quote for all things solar including fitting. Contact details on their web site.

web site address is http://www.astrumenergysolutions.co.uk
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

New Source for Solar Power Empty Re: New Source for Solar Power

Post by deckie Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks Roger allthumbz

Have 'Bookmarked' it, as our Panel & Reg. are knocking on a bit now (moved from van to van)

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:04 pm

By heck Roger you really know how to scare an old man!!! Whistle1

"New Source for Solar Power"?? confused3

I thought they had just discovered a second star alongside the sun! hugegrins hugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Thought that title might wake someone up Ian hugegrins

Ours has been van to van Brian and whilst it was big when I bought it is not that big now and is getting on a bit and thats why I was looking at Panel Prices. I dont care they do houses, although they have supplied a few motorhomers its the quality of product and price that I consider and they appear to be a decent outfit (not too far from home and fairly close to my mate bulldog01).

I was surprised when the panel went on the Windsor roof, although its wider and longer than the Executive there isnt as much room on its roof so I am limited on space unless I daisy chain (as described very well on this forum by the PVC owners)
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

New Source for Solar Power Empty SOLAR PANEL

Post by deka Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:41 am

Hi, I've just fitted a 12v 80watt solar panel on the roof of my T4 Clubman, bought from Sunstore. With club discount for the full kit it cost me £177.46 delivered and all the help via phone you need from Tom & Victor.Very impressed and easy to fit. The kit included -

80w solar panel, MCS certified
Charge controller, Viewstar VS1024N with LCD Display
Corner mounts for fixing to the roof, no holes required.
Bonding agent
Cable entry gland
5 meters 2.5mm rubber cable
All connectors to ensure a safe, tidy connection.
Plus Instructions allthumbz
deka
deka

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Sigma EL

Back to top Go down

New Source for Solar Power Empty Panels

Post by shelldrake Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Not a criticism as we all have our opinions BUT I have never seen the need to fit solar panels.
For the past 8 yrs we have toured all over the UK and Continent and can stay off site for at least 4 days without electric i.e. Aires in France/Grrmany bit of wild camping in Spain.
The rest of the time is on site with EHU so btys get charged again.
A friend had a big panel with 4 Btys fitted at a cost of £1500. Guess what? Hes on a site in Portugal as no sun there at present to charge his btys £1500 well spent I think not BUT as I say its a personal choice
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi Shelldrake.

Solar panels work with light not solar heat. So as long as there is daylight the panels will give power.

So your mate could well be OK.

Whisky. up!

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

shelldrake wrote:For the past 8 yrs we have toured all over the UK and Continent and can stay off site for at least 4 days without electric i.e. Aires in France/Grrmany bit of wild camping in Spain.

Is that 4 days without starting the engine, having two showers every morning, watching TV for a couple of hours every day, using lights in the evening, charging laptop and phones, reading after dark and using blown air heating?

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

New Source for Solar Power Empty WHY

Post by shelldrake Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Bar for using our LED light we don't need any of the above, Lap top, TV, blown warm air,showers etc. Cook on Gas. Boil a kettle etc Phones all charged before we leave and en route if needs be. I get away, to GET away from all the trappings of home (Anything worth watching on TV these days?) I have a portable radio for news etc etc. We get out as much as we can with dog, walking, shopping, visiting sites and read or play a few games etc at night
Having stayed in Spain for many a winter its funny to see lots of people sat in M/H ALL day and night watching TV. Their choice I know but life is too short
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:54 pm

shelldrake wrote:Having stayed in Spain for many a winter its funny to see lots of people sat in M/H ALL day and night watching TV. Their choice I know but life is too short

Not many years ago I would have agreed with you but then corresponded with a couple whose only opportunity to watch TV, read and the like was when they got away in the van - and that's what they had it for. I personally find my life away a lot more pleasant when I don't have to 'police' the use of electricity so two leisure batteries and a solar panel make for 5 nights on a field or in a car park being stress less and as said earlier, sun is not required. Fog and snow are a bit of an issue though!!!

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down