The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Additional storage options for a VW Trident?

4 posters

Go down

Additional storage options for a VW Trident? Empty Additional storage options for a VW Trident?

Post by C.J.Mylchreest Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi,

With the VW Trident being a compact van for 4, is there a good additional storage bike rack available, possibly by Fammia, that people would recommend?

Thanks.
C.J.Mylchreest
C.J.Mylchreest

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW A/S Trident
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Additional storage options for a VW Trident? Empty Re: Additional storage options for a VW Trident?

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Fiamma make a rack specifically for the VW T4/5 range of vans. It has a 60Kg carrying capacity. The frame clips over the top of the rear hatch, with adjustable feet that sit on and transmit most of the load to the rear bumper bar.  I think the model is called Carrybike. Sorry, I can't check as it is past midnight !
I can carry three bikes, or more usually one bike and one folding adult trike. If we are away for an extended spell, the load comprises one bike plus a smallish (120cm x 30cm x 40cm ht.)  luggage box with a drive-away awning strapped on top. Photos available via e'mail if you send me a PM.     Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Additional storage options for a VW Trident? Empty Re: Additional storage options for a VW Trident?

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:31 am

I don't know about VW's but I have a cautionary tail about fitting a bike rack and box to a liftback, rather than barn door, van.

I fitted a Fiamma bike rack to our Transit conversion, along with the biggest Fiamma box and found that the extra weight, with nothing in the box, had the rear door teetering on the edge of being unable to stay open. Anything loaded in the box and the door would gradually self close, which can be v uncomfortable. Anywhere near the 60kg limit had the for almost slamming shut, the hydraulic struts just could'nt handle any extra weight at all.

You can get locking struts but they are a danger in themselves as we found when Mrs SDA hung on the door edge when it was 'locked' and twisted the top of the door and the hinges way out of true. Luckily a local body shop repaired it all relatively cheaply but not an experience to be recommended.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:07 pm

For a VW, uprated gas struts are readily available (in several different rates IIRC) to compensate for the weight of a rack on the tailgate.

My own personal preference would be for a towbar and towbar-mounted rack, because then you are not putting the weight on the hinges and bumper - but that's just based on my opinion that it's not good practice. If you go with towbar mount, you do need to spend a fair bit on a rack that folds or slides out of the way so that you can get into the tailgate - so the total cost can be quite high!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:12 pm

I've often wondered about whether towhitch mounted bike racks, boxes etc mean that the tailgate can't be used.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:23 pm

The general consensus on the VW forums is that the Atera Strada DL3 is one of the best (bike) racks available:

Additional storage options for a VW Trident? Strada_24

But they are very very expensive!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:14 pm

My post recommending the Fiamma  Carrybike is based on four years of use with no problems. The existing struts hold the hatch open ....... with rack but minus any load !!
I have attempted opening a loaded hatch (one bike) and found it (a) exceedingly heavy and (b) the bike fouled the upper bodywork.
Conclusion, a good rack made specifically for the VW T4 and T5 with load distribution between hinges and bumper very sensible. The bumper core structure is very robust.
But,  not feasible to open when carrying a load.
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down