The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

flat battery

+2
Dutto
Diane1
6 posters

Go down

flat battery Empty flat battery

Post by Diane1 Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi all,

norty campervan (trident 1998) keeps flattening its battery. i know it doesn't have a new one, but mechanics suggested that it could be due to damp or wet weather.

Can anyone tell me what battery to buy, any hint on what charger i would also buy, and is it likely that a new battery might get damp. i'm dreading the flat battery every time i want to take it out. so any information would be good.

thanks so much all

Diane
Diane1
Diane1

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

flat battery Empty Re: flat battery

Post by Dutto Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi there,

If it is the "domestic" battery then it could be a fault on the charger or (as happened 2days ago when I stuffed an extra pan into the cupboard) it may be switched off!

If it is the vehicle battery then ditto for faulty alternator.

Most modern lead-acid batteries will give at least five years of no problem service. After this time the constant charge/discharge cycle means that sulphates build up on the plates and the battery is "worn-out".

For "worn out" lead-acid batteries less than five years old the greatest cause is letting the voltage drop below 10.4 volts which tends to buckle the plates; which ruins the battery.

The most common cause for a battery to lose voltage when it is not being "used" (i.e. When the vehicle is sat on the drive) is that either something is switched on (e.g. Interior light or even the immobiliser) or damp conditions allow a current to flow and the battery slowly loses charge.

Another "battery killer" is failing to check the electrolyte levels - which again results in buckled plates.

So, my advice?

Check that the existing batteries are actually past their sell-by date. (Easiest way is to take them off the vehicle, charge them up in the garage and then see if they hold their charge.)

Check that the charging systems are working on the MH. (Take it for a two-hour spin with the lights full on and the fridge switched on and then check the voltages when you have finished.)

If you then need to get a new battery, buy the cheapest lead-acid battery that will fit into the space provided; and look after it!

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Diane1 Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:28 pm

hi there,

thanks so much, it helps immensely! thank god for this forum, i'd be totally lost without it. being a newbie and female poses problems, but i'm sure if i print out the reply and show it to a male, preferably a mechanic, i can have things sorted out.

so again thanks for the speedy response.

Diane
Diane1
Diane1

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Diane1 wrote:Hi all,

norty campervan (trident 1998) keeps flattening its battery. i know it doesn't have a new one, but mechanics suggested that it could be due to damp or wet weather.
Diane

Good advice from Dutto but I am unsure how damp weather can flatten a battery

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:13 pm

I had this problem with my van -I drove to Halfords and a very helpful young man removed the existing tested it (US) and replaced with a new one - recommended for ladies who don't. hugegrins courtesy
Ramblingon
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Diane1 Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:20 pm

ty all, i'm looking at batteries online and notice they're a bit more expensive than car ones. need to get my head under that bonnet and check out the details, i'm not sure what it is. hopefully, nice bloke will change it for me. good species those blokes with mechanical knowledge! agree3
Diane1
Diane1

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 pm

squip wrote: I am unsure how damp weather can flatten a battery

squip

Hi there,

Condensation occurs in "damp" weather and a film of water combined with any dust on the wires and terminals acts as a conductor and can effectively "short-circuit" the battery.

I once had a Lada car that always refused to start during damp weather (in Aberdeen) due to condensation on the distributor head that diverted the current to the cylinder block rather than the spark plugs. Until I cured the problem the only way to start the car was to take the distributor head and HT leads off and dry them in the oven.

I cured the problem with a very exotic condom (modified to fit the HT leads) that I bought in a machine in a local pub. I sold the vehicle with the modification fitted and often wonder if the buyer ever tried to get a replacement via the Lada dealer!!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:46 pm

Ramblingon wrote:I had this problem with my van -I drove to Halfords and a very helpful young man removed the existing tested it (US) and replaced with a new one . .

I am a born and confirmed cynic so my first thought was "Really?" dont_mentionIt

Hope the nice man gave you some discount for the old battery!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

flat battery Empty Re: Flat Battery - Another side effect!

Post by Jockinafrock Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:11 pm

I had a similar experience - battery was flat - removed and charged, replaced & all was well UNTIL I turned on the radio!! I'd forgotten that the radio requires the secuirtyu code to be re entered and being a numpty couldn't find the code. Luckily this forum came to my rescue but it could have turned into a painful experience! Moral is - have your radio code to hand when you disconnect/reconnect your battery.
Jockinafrock
Jockinafrock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Re Halfords service. I am not a great fan of Halfords but when my Symbol wouldn't start properly I went to our local Halfords - the battery was supplied to the previous owner by Halfords - the nice young man there, Dave, tested the battery on the van and proved it was OK and, by observation, found the problem. The fact that the battery was only a year into it's 3 year warranty may have something to do with it, but that's me being cynical!
Anyway, I would certainly consider Halfords for vehicle batteries, they seem to be competitive.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down