The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dreaded MOT time

5 posters

Go down

Dreaded MOT time Empty Dreaded MOT time

Post by jollywalker Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:24 pm

My lovely Duetto, Daisy went in for her MOT today. She passed but with advisories, all for the nasty tin worm.
I am taking her to a garage here in the Cotswolds for an estimate on the work needed, which will include new front wings/arches/sills, chassis repairs and odd rust spots sorting.
The garage comes recommended, and I will report on progress and whether I can recommend to others to try for work on AS's.
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Dreaded MOT time Empty Re: Dreaded MOT time

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Don't react with a knee_jerk!
They were after all, advisories. Unless you will feel more confident in getting them sorted of course.
Some MOT Testers will advise on the slightest thing. They can actually advise on literally anything!
Good luck.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Take heart, our "new" 2005 Peugeot Exec is due to fail its next MOT in July according to our local commercial tester, as it has some rust on the chassis and wheel arch liners, as well as a lot of (fortunately) surface corrosion on the chassis. His comment was, "has it spent the last ten years on Blackpool seafront?"

It's having the work done, hopefully, next month which will include a good chassis clean and waxoyl.

Our previous van was a 1995 Exec which had a perfect chassis (although it has, very embarrassingly, turned out to have other problems in the wooden floor).

Sometimes owning motorhomes feels like having children, always needing new shoes, never a moment's peace.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi PB, it's OK, I was planning on getting work done, I know it's bad in places, and am actually somewhat surprised she passed.
I have set aside some funds, hoping to get things sorted so I don't have to worry for a few years?
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:07 pm

My Topaz was MOT'd last week. Initially failed with a broken rear road spring but soon repaired by the tester.
Two years ago failed with a broken rear shock absorber. No rust on the van but looks like it's a victem of the road repair system or lack of!
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:51 am

tap_fingers An unnamed garage in our area have a policy of always put advisories on the pas sheet to prove it has been checked. Not a good policy because the same tester put the same advisories each test. I suppose its better than "Issue the ticket without testing, its a first test it wont fail" censored! . I didn't work there long because I didn't see things the same way as the test foreman. frustrating
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down