The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOT time again

+4
rgermain
Paramedic
bikeralw
Paulmold
8 posters

Go down

MOT time again Empty MOT time again

Post by Paulmold Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:06 pm

It passed - with defects !
The defect was a number plate bulb. They were both ok on Sunday when I checked lights, wipers etc which is pretty much all you can do in advance. Thank goodness it has two bulbs otherwise it would have failed.
Annoying thing is that appears on the certificate and of course on the online history.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

MOT time again Empty Re: MOT time again

Post by bikeralw Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:04 pm

My local MoT station listed a defect on one of my bikes last year, play detected in the rear suspension strut mounting. I checked it out, normal play that you get in rubberised joints, no wear at all, so I left it alone and did nothing.
This year, same MoT station, same tester. No defects recorded.
All good, but like you say, annoying that the non defect will be online for all prospective buyers to see.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:50 am

MOT pass this week plus full service total cost £356 which we think was very reasonable. Passing comment from examiner with regard to angle of main beam ???? "Ever so slightly low ???? nah, is it, look again, all's ok". He further explained that if adjustment was needed, and being difficult to get at would have involved an extra hour's labour adding further £50 to final bill. Count ourselves lucky on this occasion for no advisories.  smile!

Last edited by Paramedic on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:01 am

I hate it when you take a car for an MOT and pre book in at the same time to have the exhaust system checked or replaced. Then told "it failed" Why? oh it needed a new exhaust, well I told you that! Answer, we always do an MOT first before starting repair work.
Is this normal? I might add I do not use them any more.
Still minor things like bulbs and headlight beam do not bother me on the records, welding might! be of more concern to a new buyer.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:33 am

Thoroughly agree Richard , I booked our car in for 1st mot and asked garage (main dealer) to change a couple of tyres nearing limit first. I got the receptionist to write it down on job card....Yes youve guessed it , failed mot on 2 tyres required , then replaced tyret then passed on resit. I was fuming and would never use them again. As mots are now computerised and' live' it cannot be altered later.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:34 am

Took the Hampshire for an MOT , I know have just bought her but she only had 7 months MOT  on it, dealer doesn`t put a new MOT on unless there is less than 4 months to run,  so for peace of mind booked her in, passed with no advisories up!  so good, has been treated underneath so that is also good.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:20 pm

rgermain wrote:I hate it when you take a car for an MOT and pre book in at the same time to have the exhaust system checked or replaced. Then told "it failed" Why? oh it needed a new exhaust, well I told you that! Answer, we always do an MOT first before starting repair work.
-----------
Richard
That's interesting, as the mot for the car next April, will be requesting the front tyres be changed. Depth of tread likely to be minimal by then as 11 years from new. Mindful of your experience, will seek confirmation that we're not shafted in the same way.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Paramedic wrote:
rgermain wrote:I hate it when you take a car for an MOT and pre book in at the same time to have the exhaust system checked or replaced. Then told "it failed" Why? oh it needed a new exhaust, well I told you that! Answer, we always do an MOT first before starting repair work.
-----------
Richard
That's interesting, as the mot for the car next April, will be requesting the front tyres be changed. Depth of tread likely to be minimal by then as 11 years from new. Mindful of your experience, will seek confirmation that we're not shafted in the same way.

I think that will also apply to me in March, as last year I was told my front tyres had slight cracking, but plenty of tread at 4 years old. Funny that as I had all 4 tyres changed at the same time, he must have missed the back ones!
I was once told my beams were low, so next test I made sure I had a tank full, guess what, no comment.
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:41 pm

I queried with our garage why they always did the MOT before they carried out the booked service, since my logic was that whilst doing the service they could identify and possibly rectify any potential defects before the MOT.  However their explanation was that if the vehicle failed the MOT on a serious defect which might render it uneconomical to repair and hence a write off, then the money spent on the service would be a total waste. 

Which does make sense I suppose. 
And could apply to fitting a pair of new expensive tyres? 

I'm not sure that having defects like bulbs or tyres shown on the MOT record would put me off buying a vehicle, provided they had then been dealt with. Frankly, I'd be more suspicious of a vehicle that had a completely clean record!

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:23 pm

I was once told my beams were low, so next test I made sure I had a tank full, guess what, no comment.
---------
Richard
Excellent course of action. Next van mot we will load the electric bikes on the back just in case the next examiner is not so obliging. allthumbz

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Talking headlight beam height, in common with most vehicles, my van has a 3 stage electrical adjustment to compensate for loading.
 At what setting do the MoT testers take their readings?
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:05 pm

bikeralw wrote:Talking headlight beam height, in common with most vehicles, my van has a 3 stage electrical adjustment to compensate for loading.
 At what setting do the MoT testers take their readings?
Al.
Good question. My Focus once failed, due to headlamps out, it has self adjusting zion ones fitted scratch head passed  5 mins later. allthumbz
--------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:28 am

Paramedic wrote:MOT pass this week plus full service total cost £356 which we think was very reasonable. 
Just been to my mechanic to pay my bill , oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, the bulb, and MOT at separate garage, total Inc MOT £203, now that's reasonable.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:42 am

What about the pollen filter and topping up the washer bottle hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins and did they jet wash it.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:07 am

rgermain wrote:What about the pollen filter and topping up the washer bottle hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins and did they jet wash it.
----------
Richard
I always make sure the washer bottle is full so they can't charge me for filling it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:31 am

Paramedic wrote:MOT pass this week plus full service total cost £356 which we think was very reasonable. Passing comment from examiner with regard to angle of main beam ???? "Ever so slightly low ???? nah, is it, look again, all's ok". He further explained that if adjustment was needed, and being difficult to get at would have involved an extra hour's labour adding further £50 to final bill. Count ourselves lucky on this occasion for no advisories.  smile!

Our Fairford failed its first mot due to headlamp aim in May this year, both lights were adjusted no charge, mot didn’t take any longer than expected as it was done whilst I waited. Driving the van for the first time since May in the dark last night, I thought the headlamp performance was very short. See what happens next test!
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:24 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Paramedic wrote:MOT pass this week plus full service total cost £356 which we think was very reasonable. 
Just been to my mechanic to pay my bill , oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, the bulb, and MOT at separate garage, total Inc MOT £203, now that's reasonable.
Indeed that is a very good price and perhaps similar to ours overall? Our invoice also included cabin filter (pollen) disposable charge and brake fluid. Itemised thus,
Labour £142.97. Parts £116.90  VAT £51.99  MOT  £45.00. 
Had to return following day as forgot to take service record book for garage stamp. twiddle_thumbs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:33 pm

The big difference is the labour charge, £45 mine. That's his hourly charge. I didn't have pollen filter done , so that would have been £20. Just imagine what we'd have paid at Peugeot!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down