The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is my ZIg unit charging the battery?

+2
KMRTOPAZ
edmason
6 posters

Go down

Is my ZIg unit charging the battery? Empty Is my ZIg unit charging the battery?

Post by edmason Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:40 pm

1999 Duetto (again). I did a 60 mile run on Sunday so the leisure battery should be fully charged but went flat after running the space heater for 10 minutes today. One battery terminal was loose, so tightened that and meter shows 13.96v across battery now when engine running, so I assume its charging from the alternator. However with the engine off and a hook up 240v lead connected the battery doesn't seem to be charging, and the green light on the Zig unit isn't lit either. The manual says there should be a 30 amp main fuse above the battery, but I can only find the 25amp fridge fuse, and an 80 amp fuse and 2 60 amp fuses. Does this suggest my Zig unit isn't charging the battery on hook up? Any suggestions welcome.
edmason
edmason

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Is my ZIg unit charging the battery? Empty Re: Is my ZIg unit charging the battery?

Post by KMRTOPAZ Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:20 pm

The loose terminal clamp would explain why there was only 10 minutes on the space heater! Clearly at 13.9 across the terminals, the alternator is doing what it should.

Does your Zig have the rocker switch .....habitation/engine, and  if so, have you checked that it is on "hab". It should show a similar (13.5 ish) voltage when being charged thro' the Zig.

Do you have interior lights with and without EHU ? If not, it supports the fuse theory, or a failed charge unit. Hope that's not the case !
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Is my ZIg unit charging the battery? Empty Re: Is my ZIg unit charging the battery?

Post by -mojo- Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:29 pm

A-S had a reputation for moving that fuse about during the course of production, so it may take a while to locate it.

However, I don't think it will help with your problem at all, because IIRC that's the one that protects the split charge feed to the leisure battery, and that side is obviously working.

If all the mains circuit breakers are on and still no power from the charger (having checked of course for a mains switch in all the typical hidden places) then it may be best to take the charger out and hook it up to the mains on the bench, or maybe check whether there is mains present at its input.

How old is the leisure battery, and what was its state of charge before you went for the 60 mile run?

Last edited by -mojo- on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad punctuation)
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:14 pm

-mojo- wrote:

How old is the leisure battery, and what was its state of charge before you went for the 60 mile run?

That is the pertinent question.  If your vehicle battery is good it will quickly replenish its charge with high current from the alternator and will then limit the current output to what it (not the leisure Battery) needs.  The leisure battery could therefore only be receiving circa 5 amps and if it was well discharged could take say 15 hours to recharge, so the 60 mile drive wouldn't give much charge.

As suggested you do need to find out why the onboard charger is not doing its job and use it to recover.

As an aside, I pitched up for a CC centre Christmas rally (last and worst of three and never again) in my 1999 Duetto (what's your reg?) in snow.  No hook up and I used the heater intermittently just enough to prevent hyperthermia.  The battery was flat on the first morning.  Fortunately someone didn't turn up and I got hook up.  That was the last van I had with a heater that needed a battery to provide the heat!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Horobi Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:59 pm

On my '96 Symphony which probably has a lot of the same fittings there is a switch under the cooker for the 230v battery charger. It sits between one for the water heater and the RCD.

It might be worth a look, I have to get on my knees to see them.
Horobi
Horobi

Male

Member Age : 51
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:08 am

Hi  wave
Assuming you have a Zig X7 or X70 power supply fitted it’s a standalone power supply that works independently from the leisure battery so an easy way to check that it’s working is to disconnect the leisure battery when on EHU and see if the 12V lights still work.

If they don't and you’re happy working with electrics I’d follow –mojo-s advice. If not it’s best to get an electrician to look at it.

-mojo- wrote:If all the mains circuit breakers are on and still no power from the charger (having checked of course for a mains switch in all the typical hidden places) then it may be best to take the charger out and hook it up to the mains on the bench, or maybe check whether there is mains present at its input.

edmason wrote:the green light on the Zig unit isn't lit either.

You don’t say if you’re talking about the Zig power supply or the control panel. It is possible for the green light on the power supply itself to be off and the unit still working (it happened on mine – now fixed).

There are two ways that the green indicator on the control panel may work.  On mine it purely indicates that there is mains going to the power supply, so if its off it indicates a mains fault (or a duff lamp).

There is an output for an LED indicator on the power supply unit and from reading some other posts it’s used on some vans. The connector is on the bottom left of the unit and marked “LED”(picture below). If the is no connection to this pin the control panel light can’t indicate that the Zig is actually “on” (or off).

Is my ZIg unit charging the battery? Zig_zpsos2b4vjp

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down