The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bubbling washroom vinyl wall covering

2 posters

Go down

Bubbling washroom vinyl wall covering Empty Bubbling washroom vinyl wall covering

Post by nimbus Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 pm

The thin vinyl covering is parting company with the underlying wallboard over an area approx 300mm x 150mm. I've tried heating it with a hairdryer and it temporarily sticks back but it doesn't last long. I've thought about injecting some adhesive using a syringe with a fine needle but am worried about making the situation worse. So if anyone has a solution I'd be pleased to hear from them.

Roly
nimbus

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Bubbling washroom vinyl wall covering Empty Re: Bubbling washroom vinyl wall covering

Post by nimbus Sat May 14, 2016 4:55 pm

I'm sure that someone can offer a suggestion on how to refix the vinyl wall covering. Here's a pic that shows the extent of the bubble. I had thought of injecting with a syringe some glue and spreading it around with a credit card. But I'm not sure which glue to use as those with a solvent base will melt the vinyl. So suggestions please.........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
nimbus

Male

Back to top Go down

Bubbling washroom vinyl wall covering Empty Re: Bubbling washroom vinyl wall covering

Post by Maasai Warrior Sat May 14, 2016 6:29 pm

How old is the van? Could there be damp behind the vinyl? Could it be covered by AS warranty? 

Ideally it needs to be repaired without cutting into the vinyl as the bathroom area, even away from the shower area can be a little damp and it could peel off or cause water ingress. I would get advice from Mark at AS before you do anything. I do have thoughts on a repair but it may not work. It involves:

i) splitting the bubble along the crease with a sharp scalpel using a steel ruler.

ii) checking for any damp underneath, before covering every part of the lifted vinyl and backing separately with adhesive using a quality paintbrush.

iii) carefully smoothing each half of the bubble with a spatula towards the cut avoiding more bubbles and cleaning off all the surplus glue. 

iv) Allow both to dry, then using a relevant coloured adhesive backed vinyl strip purchased from AS, cover the whole width of the wall, so concealing the bubble cut. This would be a standard AS finish, therefore not looking out of place. 

The whole procedure would have to be done very carefully and methodically spreading just the right amount of adhesive so as not to give lumps or bubbles in the vinyl. A special vinyl adhesive may be necessary and  easier to control than say a contact adhesive. Once again please consult with AS, as they are the experts regarding repairs. My method may not be the best advice.

Remember, the adhesive backing on these AS strips can be a little suspect, so I would consider using contact adhesive to make a good seal. The small amount of surplus along the edges can then be carefully rubbed off when in place, with clean fingers before completely dry.

Anyway just my thoughts, not a recommendation!! Speak to AS.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by nimbus Sat May 14, 2016 7:23 pm

Pete - Thanks for suggestions.

The van is 7 years old, the wall is bone dry and the other side is fully visible and dry. I have tried heating it with a hair dryer and it sticks for a short while before becoming detached again.

I had though about carefully splitting it to glue it but decided against it, thinking that a syringe filled with glue might do the trick. Contact adhesive is not suitable as the solvent reacts with the vinyl. I know this from previous experience on our last van.

I think that your last suggestion is probably the best and that is to talk to Mark at Autosleeper. I'll call him on Monday.

Thanks again,

Roly
nimbus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Sun May 15, 2016 8:12 am

Hi Roly, Yes you are right about the solvent based contact adhesive, but I am thinking of the rubber based stuff that you can rub off with your fingers to clean up afterwards. I have successfully repaired strips that were coming off in the bathroom area in our previous Pollensa. Even our present Broadway has issues with these AS strips in the bathroom area and cupboard. I may have to carefully remove them and re-bed them with this rubber contact adhesive. It's a nuisance, I guess old dried out stock was originally used.

Good luck with speaking to Mark. He has helped us with many major snagging issues with our Broadway.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down