The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How easy to replace exhaust hangers?

4 posters

Go down

How easy to replace exhaust hangers? Empty How easy to replace exhaust hangers?

Post by marc4242 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 10:25 pm

Some of my exhaust hangers are perishing.  It strikes me as a diy job possibility.  Is it?  Has anyone does theres?  Oh should I just go to Kwik fit?
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

How easy to replace exhaust hangers? Empty Re: How easy to replace exhaust hangers?

Post by fisherman3 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 10:51 pm

if you mean the rubber hangers(like hoover belts)they are easy to fit and can be bought from most car accessary shop.i have also put a tie wrap on each of mine as a reserve in case of one wearing through unexpectedly.george.
fisherman3
fisherman3

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : rambler

Back to top Go down

How easy to replace exhaust hangers? Empty Re: How easy to replace exhaust hangers?

Post by boxerman Wed 02 Mar 2016, 12:07 am

Like Fisherman 3 said, if its the rubber doughnuts, the official part No is BOSAL 255-338 but just slip one off and take it to an exhaust fitter or accessory shop as a pattern. When fitting, hook it on to the exhaust first and stretch it onto the hook on the bodywork. If its the oval one near the tailpipe, spray it with WD40 first and it will come off / go on easier.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Walgett Wed 02 Mar 2016, 9:41 am

I have a 2000 Symbol and the exhaust hangers are rubber doughnuts which I have to replace on a couple of occasions.  They can be a awkward to fit  if you have to stretch the rubber.  I carry a couple of spares. I purchased them from a local Autosupplies, (chesterfield).  Universal O Ring 32MM ID Part: KLAUNR4AT, cost 42 pence.  I have noticed that the rubber doughnuts take a lot of strain and therefor have made a loop out of coat hanger wire as added protection should the doughnut break during driving.  I check the exhaust fittings every couple of months.

Roy
Wally Walgett
Wally Walgett

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed 02 Mar 2016, 9:56 am

Wally Walgett wrote:I They can be a awkward to fit  if you have to stretch the rubber.  
Roy

A piece of wood with a 'V' cut in the end helps a lot, and as I said, fit it to the exhaust system [moveable] first then the bodywork [fixed] second.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Wed 09 Mar 2016, 9:12 pm

Thanks fisherman, boxerman (particularly for the V wood and wd40) and Wally for the tips.  I'll go and have a peer underneath and see exactly what I have down there.
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down