The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rambler mains Battery Charging

4 posters

Go down

Rambler mains Battery Charging Empty Rambler mains Battery Charging

Post by GoneRamblin Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi All

My first post to the forum having joined a few days ago - I hope I do it correctly!?

We have recently purchased a 1989 Rambler on a Peugeot Talbot Express - we are very pleased with it and have survived our first weekend

It did not come with any Auto Sleeper info so its a bit of a game at the moment to work out what does what.

I am not sure if it is supposed to have a mains battery charger for the leisure battery that is mounted under the offside rear seat - it appears to have a relay to control charge from the engine but so far I cannot see any other options.

I have looked under false floors which was good because I found the pump, other postings suggest a false floor under the oven - I have not got one - I'm beginning to conclude that there may not be a mains charger?

Any thoughts please

Thanks

GoneRamblin
GoneRamblin

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rambler

Back to top Go down

Rambler mains Battery Charging Empty Re: Rambler mains Battery Charging

Post by bertb Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi GoneRambling, welcome to the forums. I'm new here as well but I may have a suggestion you might try.
Measure the leisure battery voltage with no load. Should be about 12.5 - 12.7 and then plug in the mains lead and measure the voltage again. If it is being charged it should be around 14.5, certainly above 12v. The mains must be switched on of course! Hope that helps.
BTW I have not found the charger in my Symbol but it's there somewhere!
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:23 pm

bertb wrote: BTW I have not found the charger in my Symbol but it's there somewhere!
As Symbols are similar to Symphonys(?) try looking under the off-side settee, at the cooker end.
There's a trap door there on mine, with the Propex heater, water pump and battery charger in the compartment below it.

HTH

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:26 pm

On my 2004 Symbol the charger is under the false floor of the cupboard underneath the cooker. There is an on/off switsh on the back of the charer that is very hard to see.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks for all the feedback re charger position. It's not with the water and space heater, I use that space for storage and would have noticed it. The water pump is under the floor under the sink but I have not looked under the cooker yet. That would be the logical place for it I guess, next to the trips and switches. Here is another question. The switches on the battery/pump/switches/water meter panel on the rear wall have RESET printed on them and the manual mentions trip indicators which seem not exist. So I guess if a switch trips it drops down and I just switch it back on to reset it.
It's a 2003 Symbol btw.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Rambler mains Battery Charging Empty still not found it

Post by GoneRamblin Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for the advice and ideas
I have tried the voltage test with and without mains connected and find there is no change (12.5v) which I guess is suggesting that :
1, There is no charger
2, There is a charger but it is not switched on – but where is the switch ?
3, There is a charger but it is broken !
Perhaps next weekend I will take out the panel over the hot air heater to see if it is in there – otherwise I am thinking that it does not have one

ps of all of the editing features is there a spell checker ?? my original posting clearly needs one!
GoneRamblin
GoneRamblin

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rambler

Back to top Go down