The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

continued saga of gearbox capacity

Go down

continued saga of gearbox capacity Empty continued saga of gearbox capacity

Post by Grahamjane Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi folks,

The time came to check and replace my gearbox oil. 5sp gearbox on 2.2hdi engine 2006 last of that Peugeot model range.
I had thought the water in the box issue was confined to earlier models but not so, my brother in law has just had the worse news, major contamination, gearbox wrecked, on a 2004 peugeot......

I have had at least four symphony/symbol/talisman models over the years.  
I had a dipstick on at least one.  But forwarned by your excellent forums I expected difficulty.

most surprisingly there is no filler bung, no level bung and no dipstick.  Further more there are not gearbox model numbers that I can see.

After extensive reading I thought I might have one of three gearbox models, Miller oils list all three with oil capacities.  
2.7 litres
2.4 dry ( but 2.1 for a service fill)

well over two litres came out, quite dark and some aluminim/and or steel dust.  plenty of filings on the magnet. just to note the gearbox is working fine and I had no issues at 53,000 with full service history.

I rang two dealers and received two replies!!  echoing the experience of one of our forum users.  one said 2.7 the other said 2.4...both said they were reading of the peugeot website..

I thought about 2.4 litres came out so this is the figure I used.  Is this correct?   2.4 litres is not actually in line with any of the Miller figures.

If you are thinking of doing it is is straightforward.
having drained the warm oil using the obvious bung at the lowest point, I slid in underneath head first until my head was underneath the fuel tank.  You can then look up over the cross member and see what I assume is the speedo drive.  This has a cable and plug that is easily removed,  the unit is held in place with a small bolt, remove this, wiggle free the unit and put to one side.  I then filled here with a small funnel.  No access needed from above.

happy days.
I am now relieved to know I have clean oil and little if no contamination, it has been worrying me!
I may be a little short by 300 mill litres.....

last comment the recommended oil   Comma EP 75/80.  seems thinner than I remember...

Keep up the good work
Graham

I
Grahamjane
Grahamjane

Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony

Back to top Go down