The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

duetto/symphony/symbol

+3
m8form8
Bulletguy
macvanessa
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

duetto/symphony/symbol - Page 2 Empty A question

Post by macvanessa Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Is it usual for a repair shop to ask for a deposit/advance payment for work if it is quite a big job?
macvanessa
macvanessa

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : temporarily not AS -
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

duetto/symphony/symbol - Page 2 Empty Re: duetto/symphony/symbol

Post by -mojo- Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:43 am

macvanessa wrote:Is it usual for a repair shop to ask for a deposit/advance payment for work if it is quite a big job?

It's a bit unusual, unless there is significant parts cost involved - because then they would be using some of their cashflow for your parts. Labour costs should normally be settled for when the work is done.

The bodyshop that did my van did not ask for any money up front. I did however supply the parts - but they were a small proportion of the total cost.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by macvanessa Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks Mojo - the main cost will be in the labour, and most of the "materials" I think they will make themselves - with the steel for the welding job.  I am going to ask why he wants a deposit, and I will probably get more quotes/estimates too as the cost is a lot more than originally anticipated.
macvanessa
macvanessa

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:15 am

macvanessa wrote:Is it usual for a repair shop to ask for a deposit/advance payment for work if it is quite a big job?

Yes it most certainly is!!!

Even at the smallest independent i've never been asked for a deposit/advance payment.....not even 'one man businesses'. The last big job on my van involved replacing the fuel pump and that was done between the Garage i use and a 'one man business' who builds the Bosch pumps (the original Lucas Epic are no longer made) to run on Transits. That cost in the region of £700 and not one penny changed hands until after the job had been completed and i even had the van out on a test run!

The last time i was asked for up front payments was when i had a conservatory built which turned out to be a right cock up and then the business went bust leaving me with a shoddily built conservatory i had to pay someone else to put right. 

My advice on this would be steer well clear. It may well be their business is already in financial trouble just as the conservatory business was (unknown to me at the time) and you will end up in deep mire with a half repaired van, out of pocket, and searching around for someone else to pick up where they left off!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by macvanessa Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:13 pm

I have decided to go for it and have van repaired by the motorhome place.  I have found one  good report on another  forum, one on here from BobK, and had a long chat with someone whose van is in for extensive repairs just now, so I feel a lot happier about the whole thing.  I will keep you all posted.
macvanessa
macvanessa

Female

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2