The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Glue

5 posters

Go down

Best Glue Empty Best Glue

Post by Canoman1 Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Hello
I need to know whats the best glue to use to stick a strip of hardwood to the laminated wood surface in our camper.
I tried using evostick wood glue but it didnt work.

Our van has an additon, a strip of wood about 1x1" fixed to the outside of the bathroom wall, it holds an extension piece for the kitchen to make the workspace larger. It is held in place in transit by another piece of 1x1" at the top which has a small arm that pivots down to hold it. The piece at the bottom has two small screws in it but the weight of the extension is a bit too much for the screws alone hence the need to glue it.

Whats the best glue for the laminate surface?

Cheers
Canoman1
Canoman1

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : Puegot B

Back to top Go down

Best Glue Empty Re: Best Glue

Post by Gromit Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi

Is it really a wood laminate or printed paper that looks like wood grain? If the latter, it doesn't make the job any easier!

I've used double sided carpet tape with success, plus a couple of extra screws or even through bolts, if you can safely use them on the inside of the bathroom wall. It will all depend where the through bolts would appear in the bathroom.

It sounds like it doesn't need much to assist the existing screws, and that tape sticks like "you-know-what" to a new blanket!!! Whistle1

Another alternative might be to use a wider strip of wood to spread the load. You could then use more screws plus the sticky tape with a virtual guarantee of success. Difficult to offer suggestions without seeing the job.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Canoman1 Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:15 pm

I like the sound of the tape, the two screws come through the wall into the cavity where the toilet is, so you cant get at it, i'd thought of bolts at first but it means removing the loo which i don't fancy doing.

Ill get some tape and try that,

Thanks!

Gromit wrote:Hi

Is it really a wood laminate or printed paper that looks like wood grain? If the latter, it doesn't make the job any easier!

I've used double sided carpet tape with success, plus a couple of extra screws or even through bolts, if you can safely use them on the inside of the bathroom wall. It will all depend where the through bolts would appear in the bathroom.

It sounds like it doesn't need much to assist the existing screws, and that tape sticks like "you-know-what" to a new blanket!!! Whistle1

Another alternative might be to use a wider strip of wood to spread the load. You could then use more screws plus the sticky tape with a virtual guarantee of success. Difficult to offer suggestions without seeing the job.

Dave
Canoman1
Canoman1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:35 pm

No Nails is good though don't buy any of the cheaper brands. Once stuck it won't be coming off so make sure you get it right first time! I use it to stick my front number plate on which looks a lot neater than screws and it's stuck on rock solid.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi there,

I swear by clear Araldite Rapide if I never want to get something off again!

It sets in less than five minutes and any excess glue can be gently scraped off with a sharp chisel or a Stanley knife up to about fifteen minutes after it has "set".

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Canoman1 Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:40 pm

Update:
I found some Evo Stick Contact Adhesive in the cupboard under the stairs, Stuck it with that and it hasn't fell off yet.
Fingers crossed...

Canoman1
Canoman1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jivebiker Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:49 pm

I was about to suggest good old Evo Stick contact. Rarely fails.
jivebiker
jivebiker

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down