The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL Rear springs

+7
maricardo
Charliefarlie
martin harland
casey10
GCCrow
Paulmold
martinharland
11 posters

Go down

Warwick XL Rear springs Empty Warwick XL Rear springs

Post by martinharland Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:53 am

I have just taken delivery of a new Warwick XL and on inspection found single leaf rear springs have been fitted and not the dual leaf springs it is supposed to have.
This gives the vehicle a tail up attitude and makes levelling on site essential, even on a level pitch.
Autosleepers  and my dealer, West Country Motorhomes, are currently looking into the problem but it seems to be a warranty issue with Peugeot.
However, I am surprised nobody at Autosleepers noticed the mistake. I would have expected the person fitting the ALKO Airtops to have noticed.
I am waiting for a solution to the issue but so far response from all parties has been positive. Only found problem 3 days ago.
martinharland
martinharland

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL Rear springs Empty Re: Warwick XL Rear springs

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:31 am

According to Peugeot specification the XL is fitted with reinforced rear suspension which gives a rise of 30mm which gives the tail-up attitude you have. Dual leaf suspension is an option. The optional Premium pack offered by AS includes Airtop with twin leaf, so did AS specify the twin leaf knowing they were to fit the Airtop?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Ours is a year old and has the two leaf springs with air. It also sits high at the back.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GCCrow Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Mine is also a year old is the same.
GCCrow
GCCrow

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by casey10 Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:50 am

Hi  I also have a Warwick XL 6 months old, purchased from marquis motorhomes.  After reading of your problem checked my own which are single leaf springs. Which as I under stand it are wrong they should be duel leaf which are fitted if you have the premium pack air top suspension etc. I also feel that the  driving experience would be far more comfortable with duel leaf spring.  Have made contact with my dealer in reference to the problem and waiting for a solution
casey10
casey10

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by martin harland Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi Casey,I was begining to think mine was the only one with this issue. I have taken my vehicle to my local Peugeot dealer for inspection and he has come back with the message that the springs are as per the vehicle spec. Problem is back with West Country Motorhomes who have assured me that they will manage the problem to conclusion.
martin harland
martin harland

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by casey10 Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:24 am

Hl Martin.
No. New Response on forum in ref: rear springs so we seem to be alone with problem. phoned auto sleeper direct with same reply.waiting to here From Peugeot hope this problem can be resolved A.S.A.P
casey10
casey10

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:32 am

martin harland wrote:Hi Casey,I was begining to think mine was the only one with this issue. I have taken my vehicle to my local Peugeot dealer for inspection and he has come back with the message that the springs are as per the vehicle spec. Problem is back with West Country Motorhomes who have assured me that they will manage the problem to conclusion.
 Your van would be up to specification if it was to be used as a panel van. But AS Van conversions that have the "premium pack" should have" twin leafs backed up with the Air set up. 

Our van is now two years old and has the "premium pack" and it does have twin leafs and air.

Something has been missed out at the vehicle build stages.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by maricardo Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Sussex Duo 2013.
Our rear air suspension gives a marked tail up attitude.  I was surprised at how much higher the back end was compared to our previous Mondial (Fiat van conversion).  Although we had Fiamma bike rack fitted we found it unusable because of the extra 6in of lift-up required to mount the bikes. (compared to the Mondial).  We have now had tow bar fitted and tow ball mounted bike rack.
Two leaf springs by the way.
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:43 pm

The thing to remember with springs is its the rate of compression that is an important factor. Called spring rate.

A One leaf spring with a high rate can and will offer more support and therefore load bearing ability than a twin leaf set up. 
Having two springs in general at the same spring rate as a single though gives a softer more controlled compression rate and so gives a better ride quality.

It is the spring rate of compression that will alter the ride height. So a single spring with the same rate as a set up with two leafs will sit at the same height.

So it may be on these later vans from say 2014 on have had one leaf instead of two but that single leaf has the higher spring rate ?

Unsure to be honest but its likely the factor. 

Think back a good few years when leaf springs were common on cars. High quality cars had leaf set ups with multiple leafs over the .... Well lets say less expensive cars that had maybe 2 or three. 

A twin leaf spring costs more than a single for obvious reasons. So I would have a fair bet its the van manufacturers who have dictated the change on cost. AS would know I bet but as the carrying capacity will be unaffected they may not have much say in the matter.

The loser is the end buyer who looses out on a bit of ride quality ....  up!

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowen Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Just reading this and thought I had better check mine. I have a 2014 Warwick XL with Premium Pack. Mine is fitted with two springs and sits high at the rear. Is your 2015 XL the new face lift Peugeot, perhaps this is a specification change on the new vans.
regards
Rowen
Rowen

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Twiggy Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:15 pm

My Warwick XL is now two months old and has single leaf rear springs with Alko airtop. After reading the comments on the forum I contacted Auto Sleeper and they have told me it is the wrong spec and they have ordered replacement rear twin leaf springs from Peugeot France. They have told me that the vehicle is safe and roadworthy with the wrong springs and to carry on using it.
If you read the A/S Premium pack advert on their site it actually specifies twin leaf springs with the Alko air top.
Twiggy
Twiggy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by martinharland Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:57 am

Yes, my Warwick XL is on the latest Boxer facelift model.
Spoke to West Country Motorhomes this week for an update and I have been assured that a rectification program is in hand.
martinharland
martinharland

Male

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL Rear springs Empty Warwick XL Rear springs

Post by martinharland Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Correct rear springs being fitted tomorrow by Peugeot. I believe the problem was caused by Peugeot delivering wrong spec. to Autosleepers. Although, I still cannot understand why this was not picked up when the Airtop upgrade was fitted.
martinharland
martinharland

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:50 am

Hi. Another sorry tale of poor quality inspections. Pretty expensive for AS and customer .

Regards

QC   Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by mitrepooc Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:21 pm

I checked my rear springs & they are single units, I have the premium pack with Alko Air Top on a 2015 Kingham.

I've just picked up the van this afternoon from local Peugeot dealer having had the instrument cluster & ignition lock replaced, typical.

I have to take my van directly to Auto-Sleeper soon to have some habitation faults rectified under warranty, will they sort the springs whilst my van's there?

Tim.
mitrepooc
mitrepooc

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by martinharland Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Tim, I suggest you contact the dealer who sold you the vehicle for the best course of action. West Country Motorhomes managed the problem for me and I cannot rate them highly enough. In the end it was Pergeot who sourced and fitted the correct springs.
martinharland
martinharland

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Twiggy Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Tim, just call Auto Sleeper, I did just that and they confirmed my 2015 XL had incorrect springs. They were great, arranged with Peugeot who have now shipped the correct springs and my van is now booked into the local Peugeot dealer for replacement. Great service from A/S.
Twiggy
Twiggy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mitrepooc Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:49 pm

martinharland wrote:Tim, I suggest you contact the dealer who sold you the vehicle for the best course of action. West Country Motorhomes managed the problem for me and I cannot rate them highly enough. In the end it was Pergeot who sourced and fitted the correct springs.

Hi Martin,

Relations between my dealer & I/me are "strained" that's why i'm going straight to the manufacturer.

Also the dealer is 163 miles from me almost the same as the Auto-Sleeper factory.

There are no Auto-Sleeper dealers in Essex nearest is Canterbury then Ipswich.

There is a Peugeot dealer 2 miles from me though which is handy.

Thanks for the reply.

Tim.
mitrepooc
mitrepooc

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mitrepooc Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:56 pm

Twiggy wrote:Tim, just call Auto Sleeper, I did just that and they confirmed my 2015 XL had incorrect springs. They were great, arranged with Peugeot who have now shipped the correct springs and my van is now booked into the local Peugeot dealer for replacement. Great service from A/S.

Hi Twiggy,

I've sent an email to my contact at Auto-Sleeper so hopefully they can sort it when i go to have my snags/warranty repairs done.

This should have been picked up at the factory, then the dealer should have picked it up on there so called PDI checks, bad form this

Thanks for the reply.

Tim.
mitrepooc
mitrepooc

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mitrepooc Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:24 pm

New springs now fitted, can't tell any difference though in ride height or ride quality.

Now onto Auto-Sleeper for the habitation warranty issues (when will it end)?

Thanks for the advice(s)  smile!

Tim.
mitrepooc
mitrepooc

Male

Back to top Go down