The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Folding chair storage in latest type Symbol

+6
Hubert
ssjohnl
groundhog
Carver
Dave 418
MysteryMachine
10 posters

Go down

Folding chair storage in latest type Symbol Empty Folding chair storage in latest type Symbol

Post by MysteryMachine Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:03 pm

I'm looking at the Symbol model but wonder if there is enough storage? What kind of folding chairs do you carry and where is it possible to store them in the latest model?  Not sure if there is space in bed lockers etc. And don't want them hanging around in the loo...
MysteryMachine
MysteryMachine

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle Year:none

Back to top Go down

Folding chair storage in latest type Symbol Empty Re: Folding chair storage in latest type Symbol

Post by Dave 418 Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 pm

It wont be the same as our Duetto but the only way we found to store things like chairs wedges and silver screen was to fasten them to the inside of the back door when traveling with an elastic strap attached to the inside door handle. Once on site the wedges and the silver screen are put use We slide the seats forward to the night position then stand the seats in the foot well against front of the seat.  They can be got at from the n/s front door if needed. A few people we have met use the loo for traveling storage, including the boxes of whine or beer.I mentioned using the loo. There reply you cant use the loo on the move   On_loo We did look at the smaller vans before we bought the Duetto. If I could have slept in them I would have one and adjust the carried items to suit the van. Domestic management is a rare breed she takes very little with her on our travels. :rolleye0013:
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Folding chair storage in latest type Symbol Empty Re: Folding chair storage in latest type Symbol

Post by Carver Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:11 pm

We have the previous model Symbol and carry our folding chairs either in the over cab storage or under the bench seat, depending on what else we are taking.
I hope this helps, but I'm not sure if the latest model has exactly the same storage arrangements

Carver.
Carver
Carver

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Outwell Windsor Hills recliners fold up into a sausage shaped bag, mega comfortable and may be easier to store than a traditional folding chair? Too low for using as a sit at the table chair though.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by ssjohnl Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:28 am

We have the latest model Symbol and use the collapsible chairs that fit into a cylindrical carrying bag which are closed with a drawstring. A simple S hook allows these to hang from the top rear door fixing. I then use a short bungee to hold the lower end of the bag to the door to prevent any movement while driving. It works very well.
John.
ssjohnl
ssjohnl

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:54 pm

We have a 2014 Symbol.
The folding chairs we have are the "Kampa Bistro" which when folded are compact and are kept in a draw string bag. We lay them on the floor at the back of the van when travelling and on arrival transfer them to the cab footwell, where they are out of the way of the living area.
The chairs are comfortable, if a little upright but can be used  outside the van with the folding table.

Hubert
Hubert
Hubert
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi. We have two expensive but very comfortable Lafuma chairs that we were loathe to give up when we 'graduated' from frame tent to our Duetto. We now carry these chairs stood behind passenger seat, fixed to metal struts of head rest with short straps. 

On site and at night they stand in passenger footwell when seat turned round.

Re levellers....we bought a strong tool box on wheels with pull along handle (about £25 from B and Q)in which we keep levellers, electric bbq/ hot plate , extension lead, mallet , and other assorted odds and ends. In transit this fits behind passenger seat too. On site it makes a great seat/ coffee table. If site is not very secure, we attach handle to van step using a bike lock. 

Bev
Bev
Bev

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/a

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:51 pm

We have 2 high back folding aluminum chairs and these do present a problem when traveling. For short hops in the UK they tend to be stored laying flat on the floor just inside the sliding door, and on site they can be stored in the passenger footwell. When we go to France and Spain we attach one between the bikes on the bike rack leaving only the other in the van, but on site we leave them outside leaning against the table, security abroad seems less of an issue with everybody spread out on their pitch.

We chose the 2011 model because of the level floor throughout the van and as a consequence the storage under the settee and chair is about 4 inches deeper than the new models.

If you need any other details please let me know.

Jeff up!

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:15 pm

think_smiley_46 I forgot to mention our chairs are the ones in sausage shaped bags with a draw string. Cant rember how much but we found them in our very local LIdle for silly money so we bought four. Two are kept in the van two at home. They store easy and are comfy.
I still have surprise finds in our van blushes ,   things that I have lost because they are stored too neatly to be found. innocent
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:36 pm

I have folding chairs that fit in bags, one is quite large, a Vango recliner. In my Duetto I store them horizontally behind the front seats, the seat top end fits just nicely behind the drivers seat, keeping it in place. my little dog then lies on her bed behind that, and the chair stops her sliding forward.
I have levellers in a bag which in transit fit nicely in the step well next to the side sliding door, and again stops little dog falling into the well if my cornering gets a little enthusiastic.
Once on site unwanted gear stores in front of seats in cab area. I now have external blinds which makes opening the doors a bit more of a hassle, but it is easy enough to get to things from the living area.
I store a groundsheet in an old sail bag, and a wind breaker which sit by the fridge in transit. Only the external blinds travel in the washroom, easily moved if I need a comfort break  content
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:29 pm

We have a 2009 Symbol and have removed the plastic door bin on the passenger side to make space for our folding chairs.  We find it a good stowage solution, the only downside being slightly more awkward access in and out of the passenger door.  As for choice of chairs, we use Coleman folding sling chairs, which are excellent and we recommend them.  They aren't the cheapest but are far better constructed than the standard folding camping chairs sold everywhere from motorway service shops to camping outfitters - and which rarely last more than a couple of seasons.  If you're not fussy about colour choice, you should be able to find a reasonable offer on Amazon for the Coleman.  They are also more comfortable than anything else we've used and which can fold down easily for van storage.  In a perfect world we'd use something like a Lafuma recliner but have no space for them in the van.
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down