The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol gas locker

3 posters

Go down

Symbol gas locker Empty Symbol gas locker

Post by orian Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi all
We are in France and found today that our gas locker will unlock but not open. I have tried squirting the usual lubes into the keyhole without  any joy. Also spent hours  trying to open the locker when it is hot or cold.
I can't turn the gas bottle off and I fear Eurotunnel won't let me on the train when I return home shortly. Any suggestions?
Bob
orian
orian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol 2011

Back to top Go down

Symbol gas locker Empty Re: Symbol gas locker

Post by Dutto Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:57 am

Bob,

Not fully conversant with the design but from experience:

1.  On some designs, the "tag" attached to the locking mechanism can come loose so that even though the key turns the "tag" itself stays in place and the door cannot be opened normally.  A solution in this case is often to remove the whole door and its surround or remove the door via the hinges.

2.  The door itself has somehow warped so that although the "tag" is away from the socket the door won't open because the edges are tight up against the jambs.  In this case, more force (up to and including a screw-driver helping to prise the door open) will often work.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 am

Hi Ian
Thanks for your reply.
I don't think it is No. 1 because the lock turns freely and the button  can be pushed in but the tag does not seem to move or move enough to allow the door to open.
I thought it was No. 2 particularly as we have experienced very hot weather. Tried screwdriver  and knife without success. 
It is Bastille day here so everywhere closed. May try my limited French on a caravan repair agent tomorrow.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:07 am

Hi there,

Relax and enjoy the fireworks tonight!  We once moored (by accident) on the River Saone between three towns and all it took was to swivel our chairs around to enjoy three spectacular displays one after the other!  The day was also memorable for the number of carp I caught.  After an afternoon's fishing I had to have help to lift the keepnet out of the water!

It does sound more like a "warped door" than anything else.  The door on our Thetford started to catch and finally needed a tiny bit of plastic shaving off the main body of the frame before it would allow the button to be pushed in and release the door.

Have you tried to push in the door and then (whilst the door is still pushed inwards) push in the button?

Either way, it's not worth ruining a good holiday so sit back and relax.

Who knows, maybe they have a special tool at Eurotunnel for just such an event. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:35 am

I think Dutto may be correct with No.1 suggestion. It can feel as if it's working correctly when the tag (or something else) has come loose.

One method I recently used with success in a similar situation is to give the door a good thumping near the lock while slowly turning the key, and again as you press the button. Give it some welly and bash it repeatedly with the heel of your fist - you are unlikely to damage the door before your hand hurts too much!!! so_sad

If you can get home with the door and lock intact, your dealer will have a master key for removing the lock barrel, so he will be able to replace it for not much money. Some spare barrels may even have been supplied with your van. (I had a lock barrel changed last week by our dealer and it was simple. Don't try to remove the barrel yourself though - it's all but impossible without wrecking something.)

Hope this helps.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi Ian & Dave, 
I will try your suggestions tomorrow and I really appreciate your assistance. 
I  stopped in a rest area today but decided not to attempt breaking into my gas locker as I was surrounded  by Gendarmes pulling drivers over for speeding. Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:50 am

Hi guys
Good news. I met another English symbol owner last night and together we managed to open the locker using a bit of force but without  causing  any major damage. It would appear one or more of the springs is damaged or was out of alignment. At least I can access  the gas bottle. Thanks  again for your  support.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:31 am

Well done Bob.

Relatively trivial problems like that can prey on your mind and spoil a holiday, can't they.

A new lock assembly isn't going to cost a lot, so no major worries now.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:16 am

Brilliant result! allthumbzallthumbz

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 pm

I just love a story with a happy ending.  gimmefive
The lock looks fine, just need a couple of new springs when I get home.
You are spot on there Dave and now we can enjoy the last few days of our holiday.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:10 pm

I have sourced replacement parts and hope to fit these in the next few days. The lock was not damaged but the springs were a bit worse for wear. allthumbz
Thanks again.

PS The day we tried to board Eurotunnel to return home was when the striking ferry workers set light to the main approach road to the tunnel. Spent about 2 hours stationary on a roundabout.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down