The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fridge not working on mains

4 posters

Go down

Fridge not working on mains Empty Fridge not working on mains

Post by acertack Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:10 pm

Hello  folks,

Our 1997 Trooper fridge trips out the mains when hooked up and turned on. It seems to work on gas (just).It is an Electrolux RM 4201s. My other half seems to think it is the heating element. This part appears to be about £60. I am just wondering if it worth repairing a fridge this old or get a new one???

Any thoughts much appreciated allthumbz

Lucy
acertack
acertack

Female

Member Age : 48
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Fridge not working on mains Empty Re: Fridge not working on mains

Post by meanchris Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:53 pm

It probably is the element, shorted to its casing, I repaired one in a friend's caravan last year that cost about £35 for the new element.

It's a relatively easy fix, complicated in our case because the element casing had rusted and bonded onto the coolant tube.

If this hasn't happened to yours it's about an hour's job to replace the element though you may have to remove the fridge from its position to get at the wiring connectors.

IIRC a new fridge is about £450, the smaller they are, the more expensive they seem to be.  scratch head

Usual suggestions to only attempt this if you're competent apply, make sure that no mains supply is connected before starting work.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:29 am

Hi there,

An adsorption fridge has no moving parts and therefore can last for many, many years.

I agree with Chris that the chances are the 230V heating element is shorting out as the fridge is working on gas.

Personally, I would either renew the element or just use the fridge on gas; for sure I am too tight to lash out on a new fridge before I absolutely need to do so!

The "buy new element v. use on gas" is a straight cost calculation.

If you are like us and park up without EHU for weeks at a time then the loss of the 230V element is no big deal but if you spend most of your time on EHU then the cost of gas will make the £60 for a replacement element look like a good investment after a year or so.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by acertack Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks very much guys. Much appreciated up! I was worried about the age of the fridge in general but will definitely try a new element first. I need to get on it as we are off to the Lake District at the end of the month hugegrins
acertack
acertack

Female

Member Age : 48
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:08 pm

acertack wrote:Hello  folks,

Our 1997 Trooper fridge trips out the mains when hooked up and turned on. It seems to work on gas (just).It is an Electrolux RM 4201s. My other half seems to think it is the heating element. This part appears to be about £60. I am just wondering if it worth repairing a fridge this old or get a new one???

Any thoughts much appreciated allthumbz

Lucy
Its worth checking. A gas service,i bet you have never had one,will check it out and its a safety check as well.
Go from there.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down