The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seat height adjustment trafic 1090

3 posters

Go down

seat height adjustment trafic 1090 Empty seat height adjustment trafic 1090

Post by grandads_shed Mon May 25, 2015 11:33 pm

hi i have a 1990 auto sleeper renault traffic with seats out of another vehicle, the seats are very comfortable but there is not enough space between the steering wheel and my lap. and it makes it such a hard job getting in and out of the trafic, the seats are on square boxes made of metal, [they look factory fitted and made to raise the seat height up.]
i have moved the seat back on the runners as far as it will go but i just can not get the clearance that i need, i really need to lower the seat hight,
any one know of any seats that will fit straight into a trafic that will give more clearance of where/how i can lower the height of the seat ??
grandads_shed
grandads_shed

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : T1100D
Vehicle Year : 1990

Back to top Go down

seat height adjustment trafic 1090 Empty Re: seat height adjustment trafic 1090

Post by daisy mae Tue May 26, 2015 8:14 am

I bought a lowered seat base last year when I had a swivel fitted to my VW, I am sure you can get lowered seat bases for your vehicle, just Google lowered seat base for your make of van .

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by grandads_shed Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:07 pm

daisy mae wrote:I bought a lowered seat base last year when I had a swivel fitted to my VW, I am sure you can get lowered seat bases for your vehicle, just Google lowered seat base for your make of van .
thanks daisy mae, i have looked into them but have not found one to fit a renault traffic, but will keep looking, i might even make one or modify the originals twiddle_thumbs think_smiley_46
grandads_shed
grandads_shed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:39 am

The original seat bases can be cut down, as some on the VW forum have done so, cannot see why yours cannot be cut down. I presume they are made similar, if they are metal, newer models are plastic.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Wouldn't you be better to try and get the right seats, rather than modifying the vehicle to fit the wrong ones, or trying to find others? There's quite often someone breaking an old Trafic camper on Ebay - even if you have to re-cover them it's probably less work.

The seats in mine are of Autosleepers' own manufacture, but I don't know if the bases are Renault or also custom made. I suspect they're Renault parts covered with Autosleepers' carpet but I might be wrong.
richardstubbs
richardstubbs

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down

Post by grandads_shed Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:17 am

seat bases on mine are metal, the seats are already aftermarket seats, they are to high, will keep looking on ebay, i saw a couple on there but they were to far away, and i dont really want to spend much on her.
grandads_shed
grandads_shed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:13 am

If your seats are very comfortable, surely the quickest easiest and cheapest  option is to cut the bases down, if it has carpet on them, gently take it off before  cutting down, after cutting down replace carpet, and trim to suit, using spray glue,it   will look original then.

The carpet on my passenger seat was taken off and then replaced on lower seat base, matches the other one. if you have a look on the VW T4 forum there are photos of cutting a seat base down.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down