The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roof rack on fibreglass hi-top.

3 posters

Go down

Roof rack on fibreglass hi-top.  Empty Roof rack on fibreglass hi-top.

Post by dogseal Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi to all,
I'm wanting to fit a roof rack to the rear panel above the rear doors, just somewhere to put our fold up chairs when not in use. Its a long shot but has anyone done this? The big problem is removing all the trim to get some bolts & spreader plates on the inside. On our old van which was a self build Renault trafic I fitted some racks to the roof before I fitted out the interior. Has anyone any experience of using sikaflex or similar to bond anything to gel coated fibreglass?

Any input would be appreciated.

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Roof rack on fibreglass hi-top.  Empty Re: Roof rack on fibreglass hi-top.

Post by trailguy Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Dogseal,
We have a vwt4 Topaz and several years ago we fitted a roof rack to the fiberglass top to accomodate another rack specifically designed to transport sea kayaks. I know my husband contacted Auto sleeper for technical advise on load sepcs.,etc. Obviously head linnings and all ceiling fitments and cupboards had to be removed to locate spreader plates on the inside. None of this seemed to present much of a problem and having used the roof rack frequently have encountered no problems. If you wish more specific detail please request and I am sure my better half will be able to help.
trailguy
trailguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Roof rack on fibreglass hi-top.  Empty Re: Roof rack on fibreglass hi-top.

Post by Bulletguy Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 pm

dogseal wrote:Hi to all,
I'm wanting to fit a roof rack to the rear panel above the rear doors, just somewhere to put our fold up chairs when not in use. Its a long shot but has anyone done this? The big problem is removing all the trim to get some bolts & spreader plates on the inside. On our old van which was a self build Renault trafic I fitted some racks to the roof before I fitted out the interior. Has anyone any experience of using sikaflex or similar to bond anything to gel coated fibreglass?

Any input would be appreciated.

Tim.
Must admit i'd give something like this very careful consideration.

Before I got my Duetto I scoured endless 'ads' and made numerous lengthy trips to view 'possibles'. One I went to see was a round trip of over 400 miles, but it looked excellent on the photo's and had very low mileage. But the owner had removed solar panels which he had fitted to the roof and this had left eight holes which had been crudely sealed with mastic......hardly an endearing feature when selling £16k's worth of van!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down