The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kemerton?

+3
Bobskate
Paulmold
Mark n Fliss
7 posters

Go down

Kemerton? Empty Kemerton?

Post by Mark n Fliss Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi guys 

We are new to the motor-home world but have dreamt of owning a camper for a long time. We live in Hull, are in our 50s, still working but waiting for the glorious day we can retire & head out into the sunset! At the moment though, we will settle for long weekends etc. Having enjoyed a day out in Peterborough on Sunday and a good look round, we have gone off an Elddis and decided an Auto-sleepers Kemerton is for us. We particularly like the spacious layout with the side door, large bed & small chair which seems to allow good access to the outside & awning. We feel the quality seems very good and as an investment relatively, should hold its value? I would be interested to hear from anyone who owns one or is thinking of one. We would love to hear your thoughts on the pros & cons of this van. 
The one we fancy is new & probably will lack some of the 'toys' we want, such as a solar panel and bike rack, can anyone suggest where we might get these and what we might expect to pay? We would also be interested in good, cost effective insurance & breakdown cover if you can help us?
Obviously, we would be most grateful for any advice and/or buying tips we have not thought of. 

Many thanks 

Mark n Fliss
Mark n Fliss
Mark n Fliss

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Kemerton? Empty Re: Kemerton?

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Glad you found the forum and a warm welcome  handshake , I can't help with the Kemerton but I'm sure someone will be along to comment.
As regards insurance I'm with Highways (part of Liverpool Victoria) but you need to shop around, the main boys seem to be Comfort and Safeguard, some include breakdown cover some don't. If you need breakdown cover for another vehicle then you really need Greenflag or RAC through the CC and the C&CC. The cover that comes with insurance will only apply to the motorhome. Some include foreign cover, some don't so you need to do your homework. Good luck.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 pm

Welcome to the forum from Selsdon. Can't answer all of your questions......I have a Warwick Duo which is similar in many ways but two things I can comment on: Insurance .... do shop around. When I first bought a van I got three quotes. As far as I recall one was around £900, another £450 and the one I accepted (surprisingly) was £220 from the  Camping and Caravanning Club. That was five years ago and it's only gone up marginally since. The bike rack. Almost certainly with a bit of negotiating you will get it thrown in for free. The solar panel possibly, but you must get one of a decent capacity.....not be fobbed of with a  low capacity panel. There are threads about solar panels on the forum. Good luck.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark n Fliss Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Many thanks - I will look into the insurance as you suggest & try to barter the other bits.
Mark
Mark n Fliss
Mark n Fliss

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by judy Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi and welcome from Scotland. We are owners of a new kemerton and absolutely delighted with it. We love the layout and also have a drive away vango  inflatable awning. We had our first few nights away in it just two weeks ago and everything went as planned and we couldn't be more happy. We are insured with Comfort.
judy
judy

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by opatija Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi and welcome to the great world of motorhoming. We have had our Kemerton(LWB model) for just over 18 months. We have downsized from a coachbuilt but have found the Kemerton meets all our requirements, with it's superior equipment levels, and is a dream to drive.
We have had the usual teething problems (par for the course, it would seem, for nearly all new vehicles), but nothing serious, and soon rectified by the dealer.
The Whale heating system could be better, especially in the bathroom, but, not camping in the winter any more, doesn't present a problem.
Even the much maligned Whale fresh water filling system we have got used to and don't find any problem with it.
On our three week trip, last year, to the Pyrenees, the van was brilliant and couldn't be faulted. Everything worked as it should, and the van drew admiring glances from other motorhomers.
Funnily enough, in all our travels over the last year, we have yet to see another Kemerton either on the road or on a campsite. I'm sure there must be others about who find the Kemerton as great as we do!
We have been motorhomers since the early 1970's and I just hope you find as much enjoyment out of this fantastic hobby as we do.

Frank
opatija
opatija

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by judy Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:03 pm

Yes Frank I have to agree with what you have said and like you we have never seen a kemerton on the road but I know there are others out there.
judy
judy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark n Fliss Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi Frank
Can you elaborate on this 'Whale' heating & water system for me please - I know nothing about whatsoever?
Cheers Mark
Mark n Fliss
Mark n Fliss

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by opatija Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:23 am

Hi Mark
If you are buying a new Kemerton, I suspect it will be the XL version which I think uses a 'Truma' heating system rather than the 'Whale'.
I believe you can order a LWB van (5.98metres) like mine if you want. It will then, probably have the 'Whale' system.
Both systems use heated blown-air, the 'Whale' using gas or electric and the 'Truma' gas and/or electric.
As regards the Whale water filling system, it uses an electrically controlled valve at the filling point to which you attach the specially provided flat hose pipe or a submersible pump for use with a water container. Both these items should be provided by the dealer FOC.
This system is used instead of the conventional way of a hole in the side of the van, with a lockable cap, linked to a pipe which leads directly into the underslung water tank. You can then fill the tank with an ordinary hose or a container with a funnel.
Without going into too much detail about the relative merits of the different systems, there are plenty of 'threads' on this forum discussing the pros and cons of each one. Just type in the search box at the top of the page 'Whale water filling problems' and scroll down to the thread concerning an Autosleeper Neuvo.
Hope this helps.

Regards Frank
opatija
opatija

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark n Fliss Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:40 am

Hi everyone
Many thanks for the replies we have received which have proved really helpful. We took the plunge yesterday and ordered the Kemerton after a good viewing and test drive. I was amazed at how well it drove & handled. We are really happy and looking forward to picking 'Bob' up at the end of the month. It isn't the XL but the earlier model which is just under 6 metres and does use the controversial 'Whale' water/heating system - I guess we'll just have to speak as we find on that one! As I suggested, there are a few bits that we'd like to add eg. a TV & bracket to fit in the cupboard, solar panel as we intend to do a lot of 'wild camping without hooking up (any links to wild camps would be appreciated) & a 2 bike bike rack. I would appreciate any recommendations anyone has regarding the extras mentioned. So look out for us as we'll be adding to the number of elusive Kemertons seen on the road.
Thanks
Mark & Fliss
Mark n Fliss
Mark n Fliss

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by golly Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi Mark, we have a Kemerton, same model as you are getting, we got it last year, re the Whale heating, it is initially quite noisy until it gets up to the set temperature, but then quietens down, I think its noisier than Truma, but not too bad.  We had a 100w solar panel fitted, which just fits between the two skylights and keeps the battery charged so long as your sensible with usage.  As to never seeing one, we were on a CCC rally last year and there were three of us parked next to each other, same colour, it was very confusing, nearly walked into the wrong van a couple of times  smile! smile!.  Enjoy your new van.
golly
golly

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by opatija Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi golly,
 Can I ask how good is the heating in the bathroom of your Kemerton. Ours isn't that brilliant, it's fine in the main body of the van, a bit noisy to start with, but bearable.
Our supplying dealer told us it was because of the distance from the heater unit to the shower cubicle. I just wonder if all the connections are sound, a bit difficult to check because they run round the back of the kitchen units.
Regards
Frank
opatija
opatija

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark n Fliss Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi guys
This heating situation doesn't sound great, I'm going to check it out properly when we pick ours up. Anything else I need to watch for?
Mark
Mark n Fliss
Mark n Fliss

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by golly Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi frank, heating to the washroom is not very good unless it is set quite high and working hard (noisily)

Mark, re heating, it does work, just not as efficient as Truma, if we are on hookup we use a small fan heater in the colder months. Given a choice I wouldn't have Whale heating again.  The only benefit I can see is that it saves space an weight

Last edited by golly on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
golly
golly

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by golly Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Mark, re any other problems, you always get little niggles with new van's. Our list included fridge circuit board needed replaced outside TV aerial points not working other small things, all sorted by dealer. The main problem was that one of the water pipes had been leaking unseen for six months when we did notice it, it had to go back to AS for new units to be fitted and damp to the floor dried out.  I think I was just unlucky just make sure you check everything out, and keep an eye out for problems. Main thing is enjoy the van and don't worry these things can happen with any van.
golly
golly

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark n Fliss Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Thanks mate - its a bit scary though! scratch head
Mark n Fliss
Mark n Fliss

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by opatija Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi Mark
Believe me, the scariest thing is when you sign that cheque to buy the van. As 'golly' says, problems can arise with any van, I think it's just a question of luck.
We have been luckier than most, just think how many have had no problems at all.
Remember, also, there is, hopefully, good back-up from your dealer, ours was great, and of course there is always the option to go to Autosleepers themselves. We have always taken our Autosleeper motorhomes to the factory for the annual habitation servicing, (a good excuse for a few days away in the Cotswolds) and found them to be excellent. They are a bit more expensive than most, but any problems can be sorted by the people who actually built the van.
As regards the heating, we take with us, during the colder months, a small Dimplex 'Chico', oil-free, convector heater to be used on electric hook-up. It's silent in use, ideal in the night whilst asleep, and travels in the shower tray on the journey. You will probably find that most owners, who have the blown air systems, will have some sort of back-up heating.
So, don't worry, enjoy the van, maybe we will see you on the road sometime in the future.
Regards
Frank
opatija
opatija

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by judy Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:27 pm

Mark you also asked about a bike rack. Well we had a tow bar fitted and have a Thule carrier which goes on to the tow bar. Means you don't have to lift the bikes so high and very easy to load and very secure. Hope you enjoy your new van. We certainly love ours.
judy
judy

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by batch Sun May 03, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi
Like other Kemerton owners I found the Whale heating produced no warm air to the bathroom area at all but by re-fitting the Y connector that connects the ducting to the heater ( as Autosleeper had fitted it incorrectly ) and changing the vent in living area to one that can be partially closed and the one in the bathroom to one that is permanently open, it now for the first time warms up the bathroom area.

The correct way is the shortest tail connects the ducting to the heater.

Batch

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Kemerton? 027_zps9652e510
batch
batch

Male

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down