The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VW T4 TROOPER (awning)

3 posters

Go down

VW T4 TROOPER (awning) Empty VW T4 TROOPER (awning)

Post by Sylvia26 Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:51 am

Have been preparing my trooper over the winter, now I need an awning new or second hand, do members know which is best fit? And how is it attached to I assume the plastic rail above the sliding door any advice appreciated especially best awning to purchase and how to attach it. shrugg
Sylvia26
Sylvia26

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4

Back to top Go down

VW T4 TROOPER (awning) Empty Re: VW T4 TROOPER (awning)

Post by repoort Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:41 pm

VW T4 TROOPER (awning) Arran034_zpsdfe71232

This is what I use - a Caravanstore. Slides into the awning rail ( c section), and just unrolls. Does not have to be left on the van all the time, keep mine indoors. Simple yet effective. Cost around £100 S/H. Does need slight modification to fit T4/5 due to the black moulding underneath the rail.
The other alternative is the proper Fiamma F35/45, more or less a heavy-duty version of the Caravanstore which winds out with a detachable handle. it's bigger, heavier, and dearer. Main problem is mounting it, the black moulding interferes again. The strong brackets required for it would have to be cut through the moulding, or mounted above it raising the whole awning up.
Third option is the full porch awning as used on caravans, usually drive-away. Fits indirectly to the awning rail. Advantage is another room - disadvantage is big and bulky to store in the van...especially after use if wet.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvia26 Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:40 pm

Thank you for the advice and pic, you have given me a lot to think about.
Sylvia26
Sylvia26

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4

Back to top Go down

Post by Gray B Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Sylvia
I have a virtually new 250 Caravanstore awning with brackets to fit t4/5 van.
Give me a bell if you're interested 07788905590
Cheers for now
Gray.
Gray B
Gray B

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:54 pm

...it might be useful to know that Caravanstore awnings come in many different lengths...since they were originally designed for caravans, the more popular lengths, 3 metres upwards, will be too long for a small campervan, even a LWB version.
The awning in the photo was my first one, the length was 190cm to fit the rail already on my T5....I have since fitted a longer rail - added another section on - and now have a 225 cm awning.
On a T5 (SWB) it covers most of the van roof side.
I would advise anyone considering a Caravanstore to measure the available length to ensure that it will fit.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gray B Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:55 pm

Repoort that's a very good point and you have just prompted me to go and measure the one I have forsale and it is infact a 225 cm Caravanstore awning.

Thanks for that Gray.
Gray B
Gray B

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:32 pm

...glad to have helped....there is also something else to consider - where to put the awning rail (assuming there isn't one on already). Mine already had one mounted just above the black moulding, so I didn't have any choice - it meant I had to modify the arms slightly by drilling an extra hole, because they rested on the moulding, not the rail, a couple of inches different.
Starting from scratch it would be worth considering putting the rail on the moulding itself, so the arms would rest at the same level.
Whichever one is used, the rail has to be well secured - while lightweight in itself, when there's 10kg of awning hanging from it, you don't want it coming off and causing a major pile up, quite inconvenient.
Using a "c" section means small screw holes, just using self tappers is not enough, so needs additional securing with a proper adhesive designed for automotive use, capable of coping with the vast range of temperature differences experienced on a vehicle.
Most popular one to use is Sikaflex - however, there are different types for different uses, easy to use the wrong one !
Personally I use Tigerseal, very similar but there is only one sort, can't get it wrong !
It's very powerful stuff, quite capable of sticking your fingers together.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gray B Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:04 pm

The Sikaflex you would need is the 512.I have stuck my solar panels on with it and it's a sound job.Only thing I would recommend is prep the surfaces properly I used the Sikaflex activater.But friends of mine in the motor trade tell me Tigerseal is some good stuff.

Gray
Gray B
Gray B

Male

Back to top Go down