The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T4/T5 owners - Haynes manual

4 posters

Go down

T4/T5 owners - Haynes manual Empty T4/T5 owners - Haynes manual

Post by -mojo- Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned here before, but not only have Haynes had the T4 manual available for a while now, they have also got the T5 manual release date published ("March" 2015), and are taking pre-release orders!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It doesn't cover the DSG (but then I don't think I would want to take one of those apart) and is supposed to only cover model years '03 to '10 - yet it apparently deals with the 2.0 TDi engine, which is a bit odd (but Ok with me).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

T4/T5 owners - Haynes manual Empty Re: T4/T5 owners - Haynes manual

Post by daisy mae Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:33 pm

|I have heard that it isn`t that good consequently the reason I haven`t ordered it, look on T4 Owners Forum for reviews.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:12 pm

....they are certainly quick to bring out a manual - the T5 has been going for 11 years now.
I wonder how many people really tinker with modern vehicles now, with all the complicated gadgets and electronic systems ?
The days when I did much maintenance (oil/filter change, etc) are long gone (remember topping up the dashpot on SU carbs ? ) I wouldn't attempt to dismantle anything under the bonnet, manual or not.
Nowadays our good local garage does it all. Either I'm getting old, or have too much money ! scratch head
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:04 am

daisy mae wrote:I have heard that it isn`t that good consequently the reason I haven`t ordered it, look on T4 Owners Forum for reviews.

I hadn't actually looked - I'm after the T5 one which isn't yet finished!

I've owned and used quite a few Haynes manuals, and none have really impressed me that much, but the thing they tend to do is give you some place to start looking at things. For example if the diagnostic system tells me that there are errors associated with the EGR valve, I need to know what it looks like and where it is (despite knowing all about a supposedly similar item on my previous van).

I'm also getting to the stage where I'm less inclined to dismantle half the front of the van to get to a component that might possibly be faulty, but I do still resent the fact that garages (and especially main dealer service departments) like to diagnose problems by replacing the most expensive part first and then slowly working their way down to the cheapest. So it's good to have the ability to at least "sanity check" what they are saying before agreeing to whatever they propose to do...

Last edited by -mojo- on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad smelling)
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:25 am

Some point in that view, maybe change my mind and order one.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:23 am

I have just bought one for my Clubman T4 and find it useful to understand what the garage suggest needs doing,or what needs to be done on a particular service.
   Baz
Baz
Baz
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down