The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto.a bit draughty...

+9
bumperman
Celticbiker
scovell001
RichardB
-mojo-
daisy mae
chrisvesey
Dutto
Bev
13 posters

Go down

Duetto.a bit draughty... Empty Duetto.a bit draughty...

Post by Bev Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi there.
Just spent a few days at C&C Club site in Canterbury. Great site just out of town and v handy for range of coastal places.

We were there during the remnants of Hurricane Gonzalo. We were surprised at how draughty our Duetto was...mainly around fridge and
cooker areas. The wind was blowing on that side of the van but should we expect this and if so, can we do anything to improve things?
Thanks all. Bev
Bev
Bev

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/a

Back to top Go down

Duetto.a bit draughty... Empty Re: Duetto.a bit draughty...

Post by Dutto Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi there,

1.  Have you fitted the fridge's winter screens? scratch head

They are provided so that the fridge can operate at low temperatures and restrict the air-flow around the fridge.up!

2.  Did you close off the heater vents, put the heater control to "windscreen" and set the fan to "recirculation" before switching off the ignition? scratch head

If you miss out any of these moves then the wind will just flow in around the fan.

If you have answered "No" to any of these questions then your van will be draughty. hugegrins

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi Dutto

Yes we had closed heater vents...a very useful tip picked up on this forum. But no...had not fitted fridge's winter screen/cover.To be honest this stays at home and doesn't get fitted until we finish using the van for the season. Maybe we should fit it as weather gets cooler.

Thanks bev
Bev
Bev

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:15 pm

hi,
our fridge vent covers are rarely taken off,
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Just PUT my fridge covers on, after draining down , will use it in the winter.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:19 pm

On my last A-S (a Flair, which is a shorter version of the Duetto) I found I could drastically reduce the draft from around the fridge simply by filling the gaps between it and the inside of the cabinet with foam rubber strip (of the type that you can often buy cheaply at Aldi or Lidl).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardB Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:34 pm

-mojo- wrote:reduce the draft from around the fridge simply by filling the gaps between it and the inside of the cabinet with foam rubber strip (of the type that you can often buy cheaply at Aldi or Lidl).

When I had my van at the Autosleepers Service Centre part of the work they did was to fix the fridge.  when they put it back in the used clear sealant around the edges of the fridge to stop draft - it made a big difference especially to for our dog who sleeps in front of it!
Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks very much for suggestions re sealing around fridge - we'll take a look.
bev
Bev
Bev

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by scovell001 Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:31 pm

The biggest draught comes from the 1inch gap at the base of the oven
scovell001
scovell001

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto LE

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:46 pm

We found the biggest draught came from the sliding door if you don't shut it properly blushes cold
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Duetto.a bit draughty... Empty Duetto drafts

Post by bumperman Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:59 am

Have you fitted the fridge's winter screens?(Dutto)

Showing my ignorance here but I assume these screens are the ones visible or the rear side panel, both marked "Electrolux".

1. On our Duetto the upper vent is white plastic - should it have a black grille over it?

thanks
bumperman
bumperman
bumperman

Auto-Sleeper Model : 95 Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:16 am

bumperman wrote:Have you fitted the fridge's winter screens?(Dutto)

Showing my ignorance here but I assume these screens are the ones visible or the rear side panel, both marked "Electrolux".

1. On our Duetto the upper vent is white plastic - should it have a black grille over it?

thanks
bumperman
Hi there,

The fridge should have been provided with two blank plastic rectangles with tiny turnbuckles that fit over the external inlet and outlet vents of the fridge.

Our's are cream coloured to match the existing plastic on the vents but I presume that they will be provided to match the fridge vents.

They look like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I found ours tucked away underneath the wire basket beneath the bed so seek and ye might find!

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Duetto.a bit draughty... Empty Duetto drafts.

Post by bumperman Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks Dutto,

We've definitely not got these with our Duetto, must have been lost by a previous owner.
Any idea where we can get a pair of black covers to match the large black side panel?

bumperman
bumperman
bumperman

Auto-Sleeper Model : 95 Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:06 pm

bumperman wrote:Thanks Dutto,

We've definitely not got these with our Duetto, must have been lost by a previous owner.
Any idea where we can get a pair of black covers to match the large black side panel?

bumperman

Better to get white ones and spray black if you really want to.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:15 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:
bumperman wrote:Thanks Dutto,

bumperman

Better to get white ones and spray black if you really want to.

PB

And that price is for only one, 2 are needed. Here is a white pair I just bought for 1/3 of that price. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]?
PLOUGHLIN
PLOUGHLIN
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:29 pm

When we had our Duettos, one on a MK5 and the other on a MK7 Transit, the winter covers for both were, cream / white, not black. If they had been black, they would have clashed with the colour of the vents onto which they fitted (cream / white).

In my opinion the covers look best when they match their vents but I suppose that over time AS could have fitted different colours.

The draughts that the OP was complaining about are a Duetto feature, caused by AS not installing the fridge as per manufacturers instructions. The fridges are not sealed-in. If you want to see how badly they are fitted, just take off the vents and have a look, especially on the right-hand side (viewed through the vent). It takes a fair bit of fiddling with cardboard, hardboard and expanding foam tape to make a reasonable job of it due to the restricted access through the vents. Even then you are unlikely to make a complete job of it. We first found out about this 'feature' at the North Cape (Norway) when a good strong, sub-zero wind blew on the fridge side of the Duetto and froze up our water pipes under the van, even though we were in it with the heater running. The blasts of cold / freezing air coming into the living space were horrible.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:17 am

Spospe wrote:The draughts that the OP was complaining about are a Duetto feature, caused by AS not installing the fridge as per manufacturers instructions. The fridges are not sealed-in. If you want to see how badly they are fitted, just take off the vents and have a look, especially on the right-hand side (viewed through the vent). It takes a fair bit of fiddling with cardboard, hardboard and expanding foam tape to make a reasonable job of it due to the restricted access through the vents. Even then you are unlikely to make a complete job of it. We first found out about this 'feature' at the North Cape (Norway) when a good strong, sub-zero wind blew on the fridge side of the Duetto and froze up our water pipes under the van, even though we were in it with the heater running. The blasts of cold / freezing air coming into the living space were horrible.

"The draughts that the OP was complaining about are a Duetto feature....."  PMSL!!!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins

But.....you are bang on right. Zero sealing.

When i first had my Duetto i couldn't get the fridge to ignite at all. The fact the van had never been used by the previous owner contributed. Expecting it to need a new igniter (it did) i decided to get a Mobile Caravan Engineer out and let him sort it. He told me how A/S had vented the gas outlet wouldn't even get passed on a current build van today. Totally illegal.

Duetto's do have many interesting and unique "features".....such as the loo seat which when raised sits exactly vertical so when having a pee, will come crashing down 'mid pee' (velcro sorted that!). Never ever ever put anything on or against the section in the shower base which goes over the wheel arch.....the plastic will crack! Need to replace the roof aerial mount (the original rubber duck bases have a habit of rusting and rotting away)? The forward two inner roof sections will need removing and it's a two man job to refit a new base mount. Replacing a roof aerial on a car takes about 10 minutes. Allow at least half a day for the Duetto! The weird 'box' (with the TV and 12v socket inside) which you can't put much inside because the minute you open the flap everything falls out!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
Spospe wrote:The draughts that the OP was complaining about are a Duetto feature, caused by AS not installing the fridge as per manufacturers instructions. The fridges are not sealed-in. If you want to see how badly they are fitted, just take off the vents and have a look, especially on the right-hand side (viewed through the vent). It takes a fair bit of fiddling with cardboard, hardboard and expanding foam tape to make a reasonable job of it due to the restricted access through the vents. Even then you are unlikely to make a complete job of it. We first found out about this 'feature' at the North Cape (Norway) when a good strong, sub-zero wind blew on the fridge side of the Duetto and froze up our water pipes under the van, even though we were in it with the heater running. The blasts of cold / freezing air coming into the living space were horrible.

"The draughts that the OP was complaining about are a Duetto feature....."  PMSL!!!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins

But.....you are bang on right. Zero sealing.

When i first had my Duetto i couldn't get the fridge to ignite at all. The fact the van had never been used by the previous owner contributed. Expecting it to need a new igniter (it did) i decided to get a Mobile Caravan Engineer out and let him sort it. He told me how A/S had vented the gas outlet wouldn't even get passed on a current build van today. Totally illegal.

Duetto's do have many interesting and unique "features".....such as the loo seat which when raised sits exactly vertical so when having a pee, will come crashing down 'mid pee' (velcro sorted that!). Never ever ever put anything on or against the section in the shower base which goes over the wheel arch.....the plastic will crack! Need to replace the roof aerial mount (the original rubber duck bases have a habit of rusting and rotting away)? The forward two inner roof sections will need removing and it's a two man job to refit a new base mount. Replacing a roof aerial on a car takes about 10 minutes. Allow at least half a day for the Duetto! The weird 'box' (with the TV and 12v socket inside) which you can't put much inside because the minute you open the flap everything falls out!

Yep! allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz

Can't argue with any of that; especially the "cut off in mid-stream" syndrome!! tap_fingers tap_fingers tap_fingers

If "Petal" didn't tick so many of the other boxes I would get rid of her tomorrow .... Whistle1 Whistle1

.... and I'll bet I would have a buyer within a week! allthumbzallthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down