The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draughty Doors

+2
Paulmold
Harper22
6 posters

Go down

Draughty Doors Empty Draughty Doors

Post by Harper22 Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi guys,
Wonder if anyone can help me with this one. After not managing to go away this weekend as i chickened out of driving in the snow I decided that i wasnt going to have my girl sat being unused so had a "drive" holiday (lets face it with the blinds shut you could be anywhere in these vans hugegrins ) stayed lovely n toasty thanks to the oil filled radiator BUT the back doors and the side sliding doors seem stupidly draughty even when slamming the doors shut theres still an almighty draught. particularly in the lower portion of the rear doors and the side slider. Does anyone know of any adjustment that can be done to the door hinges/sliders that would pull them against the seals tighter or am i looking at a full set of replacement seals so_sad

cheers

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Draughty Doors Empty Re: Draughty Doors

Post by Paulmold Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:44 pm

We also get a helluva draught through the back doors, so also interested in any known solution. Meanwhile we stuff a carrier bag or something similar down the inside step.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm

i have a large piece of cardboard that stands from floor to window height behind the curtains at the moment lol

Paulmold wrote:We also get a helluva draught through the back doors, so also interested in any known solution. Meanwhile we stuff a carrier bag or something similar down the inside step.
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:35 pm

We had this exact problem on our first trip away but it turned out we hadn't shut the side door properly.
We haven't had chance to try it again yet.
I did see on here somewhere that extra P seals had been fitted to a van conversion to stop water ingress, I wonder if this idea can't be used to stop draughts.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Post by batch Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 pm

I don't know of any adjustment but I'm sure that some one on this forum would have some ideas.
If not you could try ......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Batch
batch
batch

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:47 am

If your seals look to be reasonable at the moment, I don't think replacing them will make much difference.

I buy 5 & 10m rolls of black sticky-back foam rubber regularly from e-bay for my vac-former, so, if it were me, i'd fix some all around the openings

where the existing seal is supposed to contact, don't remove your existing seal, but simply ADD more 'thickness' to the opening, so the 'new' strip

butts against your existing.

I'd go for say, 20mm wide by 4-5mm thick. If positioned correctly, it will butt & compress very well & should stop the draughts smile!

E-bay item no 261152384290 for instance

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Draughty Doors Empty Draughts

Post by RandR 2012 Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi
We have a Stratford van conversion and also suffer from draughts from the back, sliding-side doors and the cab. cold

We have 'solved' the problem by carrying two 4 tog duvets which we hang the full length of the back doors and across the van at the front shutting off the cab and around to the side door. The van is really toasty then and we are hopeful that we will not have to carry the extra weight as soon as the weather warms up a little! wellhappy

We think that it is not only a draught through the doors but the metal sides transferring the cold inside the van. uncertain

Rita
RandR 2012
RandR 2012

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stratford

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 pm

modelman wrote:

If your seals look to be reasonable at the moment, I don't think replacing them will make much difference.

I buy 5 & 10m rolls of black sticky-back foam rubber regularly from e-bay for my vac-former, so, if it were me, i'd fix some all around the openings

where the existing seal is supposed to contact, don't remove your existing seal, but simply ADD more 'thickness' to the opening, so the 'new' strip

butts against your existing.

I'd go for say, 20mm wide by 4-5mm thick. If positioned correctly, it will butt & compress very well & should stop the draughts smile!

E-bay item no 261152384290 for instance

the seals all look good though I have noted in the top rh corner of the slider that if u move the rubber gently you can see broad daylight which was what led me to think the door wasnt quite pulling closed, the extra foam could work tho so may give that a try if no movement on the door, Thank you
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:18 pm

I managed to adjust the sliding door at the rear hinge and although the door now needs a good hard pull to close it, most draughts from that door have stopped. I couldn't adjust the upper slide bracket at the front top of the door as the allen key would not budge. The worst draughts we have are at the bottom of the rear doors.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Paulmold wrote:I managed to adjust the sliding door at the rear hinge and although the door now needs a good hard pull to close it, most draughts from that door have stopped. I couldn't adjust the upper slide bracket at the front top of the door as the allen key would not budge. The worst draughts we have are at the bottom of the rear doors.

Thats worth knowing :-) how did you adjust the rear hinge on the slider paul?
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down