The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto Loo

+5
Dutto
bumperman
Jaytee
Nain
Slowlaner
9 posters

Go down

Duetto Loo Empty Duetto Loo

Post by Slowlaner Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:08 pm

During a recent two week trip in our newly acquired 1996 Duetto, following a flood in the loo (a heavy bag accidentally left on the flusher while camped up resulted in a waterfall from the toilet bowl into the shower tray) the toilet compartment was engulfed with the smell of stale pee which got progressively worse after thoroughly cleaning the loo and shower tray several times intensively and pouring  large quantities of disinfectant down the plug holes. Despite opening the air vent in the toilet compartment, the unpleasant pong wafted into the van whenever the door was opened. Putting strong chemical drain cleaner down the tiny plug holes in the shower tray and the sink outlet helped, and on our return home thoroughly steam cleaning the lavatory and all the fittings, the cassette itself  and cassette compartments cleared the air in the toilet compartment but there is still an overpowering smell of stale pee coming from the cassette compartment when the access door on the side of the van is opened. The cassette does not appear to be compromised so perhaps there is a broken seal somewhere? Friends who also have a Duetto have experienced a similar problem  of unpleasant wafts though not as extreme as ours. They said leaving the trap open helped, the smell of toilet fluid being preferable to that of pee. Am wondering if anybody else has experienced this and whether there anything else we can try or it this a job for the professionals??? Thanks
Slowlaner
Slowlaner

Female

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1996 Duetto

Back to top Go down

Duetto Loo Empty Re: Duetto Loo

Post by Nain Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Having suffered with a horrible pong which came from the sink hole in the shower compartment I can only sympathise with your problem. We solved our nasty stink by flushing out the waste tank. I think that as you can smell pee it's a cassette problem rather than the waste tank problem.  Is the floor of the shower compartment holding water ok?  The reason I ask is that on our in Symbol the shower floor and toilet is fitted on top of the carpet, if the water got through onto the carpet then it could be a source of smells?  I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.  Good luck.
Nain
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex AS Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Not much help for you now but may help others;
When comparing the cassette compartment in our new AS with our caravan compartment I noticed the caravan compartment was completely sealed so spillage was contained.
The AS compartment however was not so any leakage or spillage would get under the cassette compartment into the structure of the vehicle and stink. 
I have now sealed the whole base area of the compartment with good quality silicone sealer.  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by bumperman Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:22 pm

We had almost exactly the same problem in our 95 Duetto.
No matter how much we wiped & cleaned the stink persisted.
It seems that the odour gets into all the plastic. The cassette itself didn't smell.
Based on our experience, our advice would be:
1. Stop using toilet chemical. We have a SOG unit fitted. We use Lidl 'Formil' washing machine detergent.
2. It takes time to get rid of odours, a long time.
3. At every opportunity air the bathroom by removing cassette, opening roof window & cassette door but keeping habitation door closed(Obviously).

Hope this helps.
bumperman

PS: where in the South West are you?
bumperman
bumperman

Auto-Sleeper Model : 95 Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi there,

Nearly been there and very nearly bought that "T" Shirt!  (Saved by "What's that noise?" as we were parked up at the time.)

Few things that need doing if there is a smell of anything nasty.  It's not worth trying to work out exactly where the smell is coming from because it may be a combination of all three possible sources.

1.  Shower Room

o  The materials in the shower itself may have been soaked and if so it is best to give the carpet and curtain a thorough wash and dry before being re-installed.

o  The Shower Room drains may still be full of something nasty and a good flush through with clean water followed by a drop of bleach and then re-plugged should sort that problem out.

o  Lift out the sink and make sure that the drain isn't blocked with anything (thank-you Roy for causing the flood by dropping a bar of soap down the one in the caravan) and also give the cavity a good clean.  While you are at it, and the sink bowl is out, double check that the hollow moulding that makes up the bowl itself is also empty.  Sometimes they crack and water can seep into the moulding where it starts to smell.

o  The Sink drain may also be holding something nasty so washing that out with a load of clean water followed by a drop of bleach will cure that.

2.  Toilet

o  We never use the branded stuff for the toilet.  In the flush tank we use Formil Concentrated Bio Laundry Liquid (a cap full every two fills keeps things nicely perfumed) and in the cassette we use two Formil Bio Laundry Tablets after we empty it (both bought from Lidl).

o  The cassette itself may have stuff stuck to the bottom rotting away and it requires a good old shake when it is filled about a quarter full with water.  When it empties with clear water and everything has been flushed out re-fill with another load of water, throw in a bit of bleach and do a final flush.

o  After the inside of the cassette has been thoroughly washed out it is time to check the vent valve on the cassette.  It looks like this when it is closed ....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

.... and like this when it is opened ....

.... and has a "one way only" profile like this ....

.... that requires a quarter turn (almost certain that is anti-clockwise) to remove it.  You will see from the photographs that it can be easily choked and it should be cleaned regularly.

o  When the vent valve has been cleaned return the cassette to the operating position.

Two things about the vent valve.

a.  If the vent is blocked in the "open" position then smells and liquids can escape from the cassette.  If the vent is blocked in the "closed" position the stuff in the bowl can't get into the cassette without displacing some air; and it often displaces some liquids in the form of a "blowback".  If you can smell pee in the shower area it may be coming out of the cassette in the form of "blowback" because the vent is blocked in the closed position.

b.  After emptying and rinsing out the cassette DO NOT tighten the emptying cap until the cassette is in place.  The air in the cassette will usually expand as it warms up as you walk back to the van.  When the spring holding the vent valve is depressed as the cassette is inserted into the holder the air pressure inside the cassette will keep it in the "closed" position.  Personally, I insert the cassette, shuggle the cassette about to make sure that the vent valve drops and then tighten up the cap.

3.  The Waste Tank

o  EVERY time we empty the Waste Water Tank we make sure that the plug in the sink is OUT before we start to empty it.  This should ensure that any other water traps stay filled with liquid.

o  After your Waste Tank is empty I suggest that you pour in a few litres of water (about two sinks full) mixed with a bit of bleach and drive around the block before emptying it again. (With the sink plug out of course.)  If it runs clean then you know that the problem isn't actually inside the tank.

o  To keep the Waste Tank sweet we use about a cup full of concentrated orange juice (cheapest available from Tesco at about 42p a litre) after every emptying of the tank.  (Don't ask me why or how it works; it just does!)

Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:21 am

Very comprehensive answer Ian.
Would this not be suitable for a sticky?
Save you doing it all again.

best regards
Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:31 am

Actually, I think Ian should publish a book with all his hints, tips and general advice.  There are few other people who can match the time and effort that he puts in to helping others on this forum, and I for one always read the posts 'cos you never know when you might need that information.

Cheers Ian!

allthumbz
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:52 am

WOW!  Blushes all round here at home.  blushes blushes blushes blushes

Many thanks for your comments, but I have to say that the Forum gives me as much back as I put in. up! up!

A prime example was my request yesterday for a free camp site in Hawick; I had the answer in about 10 minutes! allthumbz  allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround   best_friends   drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 am

You're also good for a reliable weather report for Skegness, Ian   hugegrins hugegrins    Much better than the met office  !!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks for the comprehensive 'Smelly loo' info, Dutto...I'm sure it applies across the board, and not just to Duetto owners  girl-thinking

Last edited by Swansea Jac on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : needed more 't')
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:21 pm

The very same thoughts I had last night Steve. It takes a lot of work ,but could be done.
Fact sheet to Rolli.

Not to worried about weather in Skeggy though hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins

Regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down