The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto Vs Duetto LE

+2
frederic
Minormatt
6 posters

Go down

Duetto Vs Duetto LE Empty Duetto Vs Duetto LE

Post by Minormatt Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:40 pm

Hi All 

New user here (and new to AS), so sorry if its a daft question!

Whats the difference between a Duetto and a Duetto LE?

I have agreed to buy a cheap late 1996 Duetto, but it doesn't appear to be a "normal" one - I haven't actually got it yet.  1996 2+2 version, with awning, bike rack connectors and HD axles  

Its a bit odd, because its painted dark grey instead of ivory and its on the heavy duty 3500kg axles (so 15" wheels with no alloys).  I have looked up the spec when Ford built the vehicle and the colour, axle type etc all align.  So... it appears to have always been a dark grey vehicle with the HD axles.  (Its also a TD with automatic, when it was an N/A manual from the factory - but I can see info that was a swap done using donor vehicle parts in ~2006).  One of my friends (who is a bit of a camper nut) reckons it is an LE spec including stickers, seat trim etc - but they wern't available until '99/2000?  It was also first registered within a fortnight of leaving the production line - which is quick for a normal panel van let alone a conversion!

I am very au-fait with vehicle development process and the Ford parts of the vehicle - but I know almost nothing about Autosleeper.  I am 100% sure the vehicle is the one it says it is (for info I currently own 5 transits from 1995/1996 - including a Ford preproduction/development mule and have had many, many others) - but I am wondering if this may possibly have been an Autosleeper "test" vehicle for the LE spec?  Afterall they would have to build at least one as a trial before they started customer ones...

Any thoughts?
Minormatt
Minormatt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Duetto Vs Duetto LE Empty Re: Duetto Vs Duetto LE

Post by frederic Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:48 pm

The LE came out in 2000 ish and was the last of the smiley face Duetto LE= last of everything
Search Duetto in Search box and all may well be reveled
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:04 pm

Hello - do I recognise your username as a long-time member of the UK Transit Owner's Forum?

I don't think it's very likely that A/S would have built an odd-spec conversion as a prototype/test for a new production variant - they are simply too small a company to do that. So any "testbed" for a new spec would typically be very ordinary in terms of colour and the underlying base vehicle - because they would want to be able to sell it easily once the new spec was established in production.

A more likely reason for a van finished in unconventional Ford options such as a non-Ivory colour is that the first owner ordered it like that. A/S were quite happy to do this in the '80s and '90s - our family's first new van from them was like that - finished in Forest Green when nobody else seemed to want anything other than the standard colour.

But... 1996 does seem way too early for a prototype LE, so my guess would be that it's the shell and interior from an LE transplanted onto an older base vehicle. We know this happens, because we see combinations on Ebay which simply would never have been made at the A/S factory.

[Frederic - I thought LE meant "Less Equipment"?]
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

frederic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Minormatt Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:21 pm

Yes Roopert thats me

2 years isn't that long for a development vehicle

The other option is that someone had a van used it for a few years and asked A/S to convert it?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:48 pm

Minormatt wrote:Hi All 

New user here (and new to AS), so sorry if its a daft question!

Whats the difference between a Duetto and a Duetto LE?

I have agreed to buy a cheap late 1996 Duetto, but it doesn't appear to be a "normal" one - I haven't actually got it yet.  1996 2+2 version, with awning, bike rack connectors and HD axles  

Its a bit odd, because its painted dark grey instead of ivory and its on the heavy duty 3500kg axles (so 15" wheels with no alloys).  I have looked up the spec when Ford built the vehicle and the colour, axle type etc all align.  So... it appears to have always been a dark grey vehicle with the HD axles.  (Its also a TD with automatic, when it was an N/A manual from the factory - but I can see info that was a swap done using donor vehicle parts in ~2006).  One of my friends (who is a bit of a camper nut) reckons it is an LE spec including stickers, seat trim etc - but they wern't available until '99/2000?  It was also first registered within a fortnight of leaving the production line - which is quick for a normal panel van let alone a conversion!

I am very au-fait with vehicle development process and the Ford parts of the vehicle - but I know almost nothing about Autosleeper.  I am 100% sure the vehicle is the one it says it is (for info I currently own 5 transits from 1995/1996 - including a Ford preproduction/development mule and have had many, many others) - but I am wondering if this may possibly have been an Autosleeper "test" vehicle for the LE spec?  Afterall they would have to build at least one as a trial before they started customer ones...

Any thoughts?
Yes maybe check the build number.It used to be in the glove box?
then try AS.
Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:05 pm

Minormatt wrote:Yes Roopert thats me

Welcome to the forum! I can remember getting some very useful advice from you on that forum, when I owned an A/S Flair, based on a late 90's Transit.

Minormatt wrote:The other option is that someone had a van used it for a few years and asked A/S to convert it?

I can't recall now whether A/S were ever willing to convert used vehicles. The various converters change their policy on it from time to time, so for example Bilbos had a policy of never doing it (presumably because of worries about warranty) and then about 4 years ago they suddenly changed their mind and will now do it.

Peter Brown will probably know whether A/S did and, if so, when.

As MtB says - it may help if you can find the A/S build number.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenshipwright Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:28 pm

As has already been said, the LE became available around 2000 and was indeed a 2+2 spec. Had a 2000 one myself until recently. It was built on the more basic Kombi 'van base - steel wheels, manual windows not electric etc as, so I understand, these were the only ones readily available at the time when Smiley's were coming to the end of production and the newer Transits weren't yet available. I believe AS used them to bridge the time gap between easy availability of the two base vehicles. The LE was fitted with a large Heki rooflight over the lounge area, I guess as some compensation for the more basic spec of the 'van itself. Otherwise the spec was to the usual AS standard, excepting the addition of the LE logo externally.
It's possible it's a pre production prototype, though '96 does seem early. As said the build number should unlock the secret!
Greenshipwright
Greenshipwright

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

frederic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dochie Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 pm

Hi Matt
Good to see you on this forum as well as the Transit forum.
I will probably need to pick your brains from time to time as well as raiding your spares pile as parts for old automatic Transits seem to be like hens teeth.

Duncan
dochie
dochie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : amythist

Back to top Go down

Post by Minormatt Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:30 pm

Thats an interesting idea... for end of model Joe public were getting "toys" like alloys and elec mirrors cheaper to  them.  Maybe volume purchasers got them super cheap without toys!

Anything that this is lacking will get added 🤣

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Minormatt Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:32 pm

Dochie, this one won't stay auto if I keep it.   I need to tow and autos can't hack that!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dochie Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:43 pm

Oh good, even more spares  wave
dochie
dochie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : amythist