The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

value for money - £15k Trident reg 2002

+2
Dutto
hollysheldon
6 posters

Go down

value for money - £15k Trident reg 2002 Empty value for money - £15k Trident reg 2002

Post by hollysheldon Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi all,
Having risked fingers burned on a £7k Trident, im looking at the other end of the spectrum of price.
Any opinions on this 2002 Trident, one owner, 129,000 miles for 15k?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks very much

Holly
hollysheldon
hollysheldon

Female

Member Age : 51
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down

value for money - £15k Trident reg 2002 Empty Re: value for money - £15k Trident reg 2002

Post by hollysheldon Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:13 pm

or this one for 12.5k Reg 2000, 128000 miles:
hollysheldon
hollysheldon

Female

Back to top Go down

value for money - £15k Trident reg 2002 Empty Re: value for money - £15k Trident reg 2002

Post by hollysheldon Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:25 pm

As compared to this petrol Trident, £8995 1994, 134,000

hollysheldon
hollysheldon

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:10 am

Hi there,

Here's my take on things:

1.  I prefer diesel engines because they tend to be more reliable and economical on fuel.  As we go long distances this is essential.  Also, at 134,285 miles I would expect the engine to be a bit more worn than similar mileage with a diesel.  They give mileage as 25,876 further down the page which also makes me wonder what the engine has really done. So the third one is "Out".

2.  On the middle one, there is a comment that states "THE VEHICLE WAS ORDERED WITHOUT ANY DECALS OR STRIPES WHEN NEW".  Maybe it was but why would anyone NOT want someone to know they had bought an Auto-Sleeper?  Apart from the blue colour (which I just don't like) the air-conditioner is not terribly useful in the UK (oh we should be so lucky as to need AC) and they eat electricity when parked up without EHU.  On the plus side it is near to where you live so you could probably get to look at it without too much bother.

3.  The first one I like.  The comment "….. with full repair/service history,….." is a plus as is the fact that they point out the problems with the blind and rear-windscreen washer.  The two problems give you a bit of wriggle room when negotiating.  The 129,000 miles is one to watch.  Our van was 12 years old when we bought her and she only had 62,000 miles on the clock.  i.e. about 5,000 miles per year.  We are retired and use the van a lot so we average about 12,000 miles a year.  I think that the average of nearly 11,000 miles a year is a bit excessive!  If the one "previous owner" happened to be a Motorhome Hire firm then goodness only knows what the driving was like; but it's very seldom careful and restrained.  Shrewsbury is a bit far to go if you are on a wild-goose chase but a personal contact may reassure you and if everything stacks up as promised then it's the one I would go for.

BUT THEN AGAIN, I MAY BE TOTALLY WRONG!!  wave  wave 

Hope this helps.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:32 am

Its not easy comparing vans.  However my advice is to visit as many as possible to check. Photos in my experience are almost useless. No one takes photos of the bad bits.
High milage in its self is ok if regular oil changes are carried out.  Viable Service history is always a good point.
Length of ownership as well.
So you need to visit ,it costs money, but the best will unlikely come up on your doorstep.
Always take someone with you for independent advice and buy from the head.
You must drive the van before purchase as well.

regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:51 am

The first looks good to me but without saying who can say with certainty, can you get away with diesel where you live? I prefer diesel but then again I don`t need to be LEZ compliant, I had the same cab on a 2002 Topaz, thought it was the best, it does pay to pay a bit more, or in my case with the Topaz, I started off with £8000, landed up paying £18000, didn`t regret that at all, it was as new.

Hope you find what you are looking for, lots to think about, can you view any of them at all , or get someone who you trust to give an honest view to look at them. from  a dealer you usually get some kind of warranty, but then pay more for it, I bought privately the first time, second time from a dealer, got twelve months warranty which I have used.

Good luck,hope you are successful soon.
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by hollysheldon Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:16 am

Hi all,
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my thread.
All useful advice, thanks very much
Head spinning but will take a deep breath and continue..

Holly
hollysheldon
hollysheldon

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by scrumpyjack14 Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:14 pm

Pretty sure the top one - 2.5tdi 2002 - is LEZ compliant due to it having the newer engine. Could save you a bit of grief!

Steve
scrumpyjack14
scrumpyjack14

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi Scrumpyjack,
                      Maybe not, 88 bhp seems like an old engine.Would ask the question. Bit with the reg number its easy to check for LEZ.

regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi ,i have checked it .Compliant.  however some question as to 2000 to 2002 registration.Not sure what this is about.

regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hollysheldon Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 pm

yes, according to the LEZ checker its compliant
hollysheldon
hollysheldon

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hollysheldon Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Current owner has owned it for 7 years and done approx. 10k each year in it. Service history is complete.
This sounds reasonable to me, any views?
hollysheldon
hollysheldon

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:40 pm

Sounds good to me can you view it then go from there.?

Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi Holly, Cannot see any reason not to view. Its a trip,but thats what life is about.
You could say you are coming a long way,any movement on the price?

regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:52 am

I travelled from N Wales to Edinburgh to buy my first van. I took the view if I bought privately it didn't matter where I sourced it, once I handed over the money it was my problem. The most important aspect for me before I made the journey was the history of the van and the price….considerably less than a dealer. 

I also got to know a little about the current owner. He was disgruntled seller, trying to get a fair price for his pride and joy, hacked off, with getting the runaround from dealers and punters offering stupid money. 

It was a 2008 van.4 years old, about 5k below the dealer price. So we did the online checks, made the journey and were happy with the condition of the van, so completed the deal. I also agreed a price before travelling, so there was no messing about when we got there. (Bankers Draft was already prepared). I would have been more cautious with an older van though and would probably have sought assistance. In our case, the seller got a fair price and we didn't pay over-inflated dealer prices.

Everyone is different, if I had expert knowledge, my approach might be different. As a novice, this was the way I dealt with the process.
If I was buying from a dealer, I would want them close. Good Luck :-)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol 2008

Back to top Go down