The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shower tray rug

+4
Bulletguy
boxerman
mikebro
Nain
8 posters

Go down

Shower tray rug Empty Shower tray rug

Post by Nain Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:52 pm

Hello All,
Does anyone know whether or not the rug /mat in the shower tray of my 1999 Symbol is machine washable? It appears to be the original.  Needs a good wash and thought the easiest option is to bung it in the machine on a delicate wash? 
Many thanks,
Anne
Nain
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex AS Symbol
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Shower tray rug Empty Re: Shower tray rug

Post by mikebro Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 pm

The mat in our 2001 Symbol looks like a piece of the same carpet that covers the rest of the van habitation area floor. We clean ours same time as the main carpet using a Vax wet vacuum cleaner. I don't suppose it would do any harm to put it in the washing machine either as if it's like ours it's a hard-wearing synthetic carpet.

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks for that. Looks the same as the rest of the carpet but has white plastic backing and dark green plastic edging.  Might give it a soak in a bucket and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Nain
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:38 pm

Nain wrote: Looks the same as the rest of the carpet but has white plastic backing and dark green plastic edging. 
Sounds similar to the one in our Symphony, is it a bit spongy? ours is and it will soak up water.

Might give it a soak in a bucket and see how it goes.
Make sure you hang it to dry for a good long time, traced a pong in our shower room down to a damp mat. Washed in a bucket and left to dry properly and it's been OK since.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:41 pm

mikebro wrote:The mat in our 2001 Symbol looks like a piece of the same carpet that covers the rest of the van habitation area floor. We clean ours same time as the main carpet using a Vax wet vacuum cleaner. I don't suppose it would do any harm to put it in the washing machine either as if it's like ours it's a hard-wearing synthetic carpet.

Mikebro

Likewise in my Duetto....mine is also made from the same carpet in the habitation area.

I took the carpet/mat out of my shower as 1) it's condition is like new and 2) i honestly couldn't see the point of it!  scratch head 

I never wear any footwear (apart from when driving) in the van anyway, so it wasn't serving any purpose at all plus every time you had a shower it had to be removed. I think it was just one of A/S's "frills". To clean it i think any carpet shampoo and scrubbing brush would sort it.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:26 am

Bulletguy wrote:
I took the carpet/mat out of my shower as  2) i honestly couldn't see the point of it!  scratch head 
I thought it was to protect the shower tray when the compartment is being used for storage, as I'm sure most toilet / shower compartments are whilst travelling.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks all! 
Rug was soaked, scrubbed and hung out to dry for most of the day and I'll put it out again tomorrow, weather permitting.  It is spongy and soaked up a lot water  (I dread to think what else it's soaked up during its lifetime!!) so taking a while to dry. It now looks and smells much better.  I wouldn't have kept a bathroom mat if the previous owner of my house had left it here - so didn't fancy leaving the shower mat as it was! Thanks again.
Nain
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:50 am

boxerman wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:
I took the carpet/mat out of my shower as  2) i honestly couldn't see the point of it!  scratch head 
I thought it was to protect the shower tray when the compartment is being used for storage, as I'm sure most toilet / shower compartments are whilst travelling.

I purposely keep my shower tray empty and clear of junk. 
If you don't, it involves a lot of faffing around shifting junk out before you can use the damn loo! And then what? Shove it all back inside again?
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:58 am

Bulletguy wrote:
I don't carry junk, only stuff we need. I'm willing to bet that you're in the minority, not using the toilet compartment for storage whilst on the move.  biggrin 

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:52 pm

boxerman wrote:I don't carry junk, only stuff we need. I'm willing to bet that you're in the minority, not using the toilet compartment for storage whilst on the move.  biggrin 

"Stuff" if that makes you happier then.  scratch head 

When i first had my van i used to put "stuff" in the shower/loo compartment but it didn't take me long to figure it wasn't such a clever idea having to continually shift "stuff" out just to go for a pee.....only to then move the "stuff" back in again.  scratch head 

Each to their own, but i just see that as making life unnecessarily laborious.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:30 pm

I don`t use my loo for storage either, whether travelling or other wise, I use to live in a caravan many moons ago, and learnt then that everything has a place and everything in its place, makes life a lot easier in my book. luckily my MH is a tardis, and I don`t carry anything that I don`t need. biggrin 

re bathmats I have an AS one,  heavy and an open weave, seems a bit hard to stand on to me, thinking of getting a rubber one, perhaps that is if you use the loo for storage, as  it is very substantial.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:13 am

boxerman wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:
I don't carry junk, only stuff we need. I'm willing to bet that you're in the minority, not using the toilet compartment for storage whilst on the move.  biggrin 

Frank
I am a part of the minority, Frank! Stuff in toilet compartment is stuff to be used there.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:13 am

HI there,

We too don't store anything in the loo apart from toilet rolls and our "ditty bags"!

With regard to "not seeing the point" of washing the carpet every so often I can only assume that the men onboard:

A)  Sit down to pee, or,

B)  Are circumcised midgets.

Yep!  There is definitely a reason to give it an occasional wash!  wave  wave  wave 

We actually use carpet foam every month, rather than putting it in the washing machine though.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Dutto wrote:We too don't store anything in the loo apart from toilet rolls and our "ditty bags"!

With regard to "not seeing the point" of washing the carpet every so often I can only assume that the men.......

Woah Dutts!!

Read me post again!!! When i said i "could not see the point", i meant by leaving it in there when, for me, it was serving no useful purpose. Plus the fact the condition is like brand new......which can only indicate previous owners of the van must have done the same as me as even the underside is unmarked. 
Yes obviously if you do leave it in then you will need to wash it.......but i won't ever need to because i removed it.  hugegrins  up!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:30 am

Bulletguy wrote:
Dutto wrote:We too don't store anything in the loo apart from toilet rolls and our "ditty bags"!

With regard to "not seeing the point" of washing the carpet every so often I can only assume that the men.......

Woah Dutts!!

Read me post again!!! When i said i "could not see the point", i meant by leaving it in there when, for me, it was serving no useful purpose. Plus the fact the condition is like brand new......which can only indicate previous owners of the van must have done the same as me as even the underside is unmarked. 
Yes obviously if you do leave it in then you will need to wash it.......but i won't ever need to because i removed it.  hugegrins  up!
Sorry for the misinterpretation and any unintentional slur against your verticality or masculinity.  hugegrins  hugegrins 

There were two guys on the BBC News this morning who nearly came to blows arguing over the usefulness or otherwise of apostrophes!!

Ah well, takes all kinds: or is that all kind's or maybe even all kinds'.  lol4 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 am

Steady on  Dutto; all I wanted to know was has anyone ever washed one in a machine  smile!
Nain
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyval Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 am

Shower floor mat?
Buy a piece of the roll from accessory shops.
Cut to shape and fit.
Plenty of colours and designs to choose from.
Wash it reuse it. Easy.
Mikeyval

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Nain Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:57 pm

Thanks for your reply. The original plastic lined carpet in the shower  has now been washed (by hand) and looks like new.  We only use our Symbol for days out and as our second vehicle so the shower won't be used by us. The mat needed a good wash which is why I was hoping to take the lazy option and bung it in the machine! Decided against it. Thanks again.

Last edited by Nain on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)
Nain
Nain
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down