The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a Fiamma rear warning sign board

+7
roli
inspiredron
mikeyval
Tengah74
peugeotboxer
-mojo-
Bulletguy
11 posters

Go down

Fitting a Fiamma rear warning sign board Empty Fitting a Fiamma rear warning sign board

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Last year i had some 'jobsworth' tell me about not displaying a rear warning sign on the back of my box. Had a look at these things most of which are made by Fiamma but come just as a plastic square with four holes drilled through. I wondered how they fit on a Back Box so phoned a couple of dealers to ask how they fit. 

Neither really had much idea when it came to Back Boxes as they said they are meant for cycles so suggested i screw it on......which in my opinion isn't a very clever idea as you've then got the problem of water getting in....even if using a sealant. 

Any suggestions or has anyone fitted one on their back box? 

This is the type of board in question;  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Fitting a Fiamma rear warning sign board Empty Re: Fitting a Fiamma rear warning sign board

Post by -mojo- Tue May 27, 2014 4:04 pm

If both are flat and you want it there permanently, I'd use double-sided foam tape. Although supposedly by 3M (it's not) the relatively cheap stuff from China on Ebay actually works well - I stuck my rear badge back on after having it hydro-dipped, and have had no problems at all with the level of grip...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Fitting a Fiamma rear warning sign board Empty Re: Fitting a Fiamma rear warning sign board

Post by peugeotboxer Tue May 27, 2014 4:51 pm

No Nails?

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 27, 2014 6:12 pm

No Nails would certainly stop any potential thief!

I've since had a 'brainstormer' and think this might be an even better option;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The box is white anyway and as long as i remember to slant the stripes in the right direction i can't see any reason why that shouldn't keep them happy!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue May 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
The box is white anyway and as long as i remember to slant the stripes in the right direction i can't see any reason why that shouldn't keep them happy!

Then some 'jobsworth' will tell you that it should be a plate which is 50cm X 50cm   snigger 

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Tue May 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Nuts and bolts ( large washers) no problem. Not going to come loose, I hope.
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyval Tue May 27, 2014 10:27 pm

I have the same question about how to mount - if you are suggesting the use of nuts and bolts, then they will have to be really big washers, because the 4 holes in my board are full size eyelets - actaully larger than those found on the hem of groundsheets/tarpaulins.
Be better if it was supplied with no holes at all and allow the buyer to choose how best to mount it, but that's down to Fiamma.
A good waterproof adhesive seems to be the best answer -- (so far) = no (more) holes for water to get in.
Regards
Mike

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 27, 2014 11:39 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:

Then some 'jobsworth' will tell you that it should be a plate which is 50cm X 50cm   snigger 

I've got a tape measure!!  hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 27, 2014 11:52 pm

mikeyval wrote:I have the same question about how to mount - if you are suggesting the use of nuts and bolts, then they will have to be really big washers, because the 4 holes in my board are full size eyelets - actaully larger than those found on the hem of groundsheets/tarpaulins.
Be better if it was supplied with no holes at all and allow the buyer to choose how best to mount it, but that's down to Fiamma.
A good waterproof adhesive seems to be the best answer -- (so far) = no (more) holes for water to get in.

Yes it even had a couple of accessory dealers flummoxed that i contacted....and they sell the damn things!!

The plastic or aluminium square is really made for people carrying bikes rather than back boxes. Fiamma haven't thought this one out very well at all and could easily manufacture and market an adhesive backed vinyl sheet purposely for the back boxes.

After all.....i wouldn't have thought anyone would want to drill four holes through a lid susceptible to all weathers which was manufactured with the intention of keeping water out! Sort of defeats the object imo.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 27, 2014 11:52 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
mikeyval wrote:I have the same question about how to mount - if you are suggesting the use of nuts and bolts, then they will have to be really big washers, because the 4 holes in my board are full size eyelets - actaully larger than those found on the hem of groundsheets/tarpaulins.

Yes i even had a couple of accessory dealers flummoxed that i contacted....and they sell the damn things!!

The plastic or aluminium square is really made for people carrying bikes rather than back boxes. Fiamma haven't thought this one out very well at all and could easily manufacture and market an adhesive backed vinyl sheet purposely for the back boxes.

After all.....i wouldn't have thought anyone would want to drill four holes through a lid susceptible to all weathers which was manufactured with the intention of keeping water out! Sort of defeats the object imo.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
A good waterproof adhesive seems to be the best answer -- (so far) = no (more) holes for water to get in
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Bulletguy wrote:

Bulletguy wrote:
A good waterproof adhesive seems to be the best answer -- (so far) = no (more) holes for water to get in

And while i'm "at it".........which dumb cluck messed around to make a right hash of the forum? 

Quotes etc now getting piled into one mish mash jumbled up mess. Why can't folk leave things alone??

When it AINT BROKE........DON'T FIX IT!!!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed May 28, 2014 12:14 am

Bulletguy wrote:

Yes it even had a couple of accessory dealers flummoxed that i contacted....and they sell the damn things!!

I don't seem to have a problem! Make sure you place the cursor outside the yellow box before you type the response.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed May 28, 2014 5:55 am

There are no current issues with the forum can I suggest its "operator error"
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Wed May 28, 2014 6:46 am

As for the washers for the nut/bolts, penny washers from hardware stores, B & Q etc.
Tengah74

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:06 pm

This thread is well timed as just bought a back box and I was going to ask if it is a legal requirement to fit the 'square'. Presume it is?
Just going to fit mine with two lengths of elastic cord, job done  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:41 pm

apparently required if driving on the continent.
Tengah74

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnybee Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:20 pm

The furthest point needs to have red and white striped hazard warning on.  Does not need to be the fiamma board specifically.  I ordered: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They worked wonders!  up!

Male

Member Age : 43
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by taepmk Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:19 pm

I believe that the official requirement for warning boards states that the diagonal stripes should face down towards the offside, so if permanently fixed cannot be changed from UK position to continental position
taepmk
taepmk

Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:23 pm

johnnybee wrote:The furthest point needs to have red and white striped hazard warning on.  Does not need to be the fiamma board specifically.  I ordered: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They worked wonders!  up!
Brilliant idea, ordered. 
Is there a specific dimension to be legal.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:04 am

We use bungies
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:05 am

Jaytee wrote:

Is there a specific dimension to be legal.

50cm X 50cm I believe.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down