The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol (2008) Offside Single Bed Layout

4 posters

Go down

Symbol (2008) Offside Single Bed Layout Empty Symbol (2008) Offside Single Bed Layout

Post by jerryf Thu May 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi

Can anybody help with the following question ( I have asked A-S Service Centre but am still waiting for a reply):

Q - How should the sliding sofa seat and internal cushions be used to make up the offside single bed?

My user h/book says "Release the catch on the front of the sofa seat and pulled forward to the first lock position.  When I do this the moving part of the sofa mechanism appears to have a inch or so of play in and out.  Do any other Symbol owners experience the same or is this a fault with the mechanism on our van? 

The h/book then fails to say what should happen with the sofa seat infill or backseat cushions to complete the make up.  The diagram on page 9-34 gives the same item number twice to the same cushion which is confusing.  If the base sofa seat infill cushion is used to make up the bed, as suggested by the diagram on page 9-35 then it leaves a gap of about 3 inches between the edge of the cushion and the outer wall of the van.  The offside backrest cushion is too large to be used so I am at a loss of how to close the gap to prevent me falling through into the storage compartment underneath.  The only other option would appear to be to unzip the narrow padding cushion attached to the rear of the backrest cushion and use the foam insert to fill the gap - but this would seem very messy and result in damage to the foam.

Grateful for any help or pics of how this should be done before I start trying other ideas.

Regards
Jerry
jerryf
jerryf

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Symbol (2008) Offside Single Bed Layout Empty Re: Symbol (2008) Offside Single Bed Layout

Post by Gram Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 pm

On my 2009 Symbol I simply rotate the passenger seat through 180 degrees, slide the single offside seat fully forward so that it's flat - and that's it!
Maybe I haven't fully understood the question.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Symbol (2008) Offside Single Bed Layout Empty Re: Symbol (2008) Offside Single Bed Layout

Post by Gram Thu May 08, 2014 8:52 pm

I realise now that I did misunderstand the question!
I was referring, in error, to the nearside single bed!

I suspect you have a Symbol ES.  So sorry, Jerry, I can't help you.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Thu May 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi

I pull my offside bench seat to the first position which leaves as you say about three inches gap. What I do is push blankets and dovet into the gap which stops them falling off during the night. I don't think the bed will move much unless you are using as trampoline. hugegrins

Just another thought my bed don't lock in position it can be push back in without releasing the handle catch.   allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Thu May 08, 2014 9:44 pm

Jerry,

We have an 09 Symbol and haven't found the offside single bed a problem, though we mostly use the double bed configuration.  The single bed option gets used when just one of us needs an afternoon rest.  We simply rotate the driving seat by 90 deg, slide the bench seat to the first lock position (yes, ours has the same play in it too), and place the backrest slab upright against the van side, thereby covering gap.  I admit I've not consulted the handbook, but attest to the fact that what we do works OK.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down