The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto side panels

4 posters

Go down

Duetto side panels Empty Duetto side panels

Post by stollysmith Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm

My black plastic side panels are coming loose and cracking in places , does anybody have any permanent fixes perhaps double sided tape or stainless steel screws.
stollysmith
stollysmith

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Duetto side panels Empty Re: Duetto side panels

Post by daisy mae Thu May 03, 2018 4:35 pm

When I had my Topaz I had that problem, I used black Silkafix  sp messy but works a treat, permanent and secure fix

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu May 03, 2018 6:17 pm

stollysmith wrote:My black plastic side panels are coming loose and cracking in places , does anybody have any permanent fixes perhaps double sided tape or stainless steel screws.
Blimey....do your utmost to get them fixed asap.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i once read of Duetto owner (not sure if it was on this forum) returning back home up the motorway when he suddenly heard a loud CRACK from the van rear. On pulling over to the hard shoulder he discovered the panel had parted company with the van and flown off 'somewhere' back down the motorway!

Second bit of 'bad news'......they are no longer made so you will need to get them seen to pretty quick with the intention of securing them and saving them from final destruction!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Duetto side panels Empty One solution

Post by Zapot Mon May 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi 

I had the same problem with my Topaz, if you want to keep the panels as original it is likely you are going to have to replace the timber fixings.

The method of fitting used on mine was bits of plywood stuck to the glass with a type of silicone.

Or you could try my solution see link https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t18948-new-look-topaz#158238

You may find the paintwork has become scuffed where the panel has rubbed.

Either way all the best, it's not difficult but time consuming. Whatever you do don't delay it may blow away the next day.
Zapot
Zapot

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by stollysmith Mon May 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Thank you all who replied to my thread. I bought some `sticks like s**t` which does what it says on the tin. With an assistant and a length of windscreen washer pipe i managed to apply the aforementioned to the large blobs of original mastic and with constant exterior pressure from a length of timber it seems to have done the job. Time will tell !
stollysmith
stollysmith

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 08, 2018 2:09 am

stollysmith wrote:Thank you all who replied to my thread. I bought some `sticks like s**t` which does what it says on the tin. With an assistant and a length of windscreen washer pipe i managed to apply the aforementioned to the large blobs of original mastic and with constant exterior pressure from a length of timber it seems to have done the job. Time will tell !
Oh yes that will definitely do it....i can vouch for that stuff 100%! I bought new number plates and used it to stick the front one on to avoid screws. Eight years later it's still rock solid!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down