The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rust spots on Talbot Express Harmony

4 posters

Go down

Rust spots on Talbot Express Harmony Empty Rust spots on Talbot Express Harmony

Post by yammy Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi , i have a 1990 Talbot Express Harmony and is in very good condition for year. Areas of rust are starting to appear around the front windscreen and around the rear windows. I would like to find an honest and reliable person to remove / repair the rust areas. I could go to any respray shop but dont want to get ripped off. I live in the Bournemouth area and if anyone knows of anyone within a 5 mile radius i would appreciate it. Thank you . Rob.
yammy
yammy

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP TB
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Rust spots on Talbot Express Harmony Empty Re: Rust spots on Talbot Express Harmony

Post by mikethebike Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Yammy, Its difficult . I would go to three and get estimates. Ask if they have any customer feedback.

Maybe one thats been in business many years would be worth trying.

regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Rust spots on Talbot Express Harmony Empty Re: Rust spots on Talbot Express Harmony

Post by yammy Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:27 pm

mikethebike wrote:Hi Yammy, Its difficult . I would go to three and get estimates. Ask if they have any customer feedback.

Maybe one thats been in business many years would be worth trying.

regards

Mike
Thanks for the response Mike, it is difficult, might have a go myself and see what happens and then think again if i make a mess !! scratch head
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:41 pm

How bad is it. If it's not to bad keep polishing it and might stay ok for a few more years. An old mechanic told me that. Polishing rust will keep it at bay.
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:43 am

rose49f wrote:How bad is it. If it's not to bad keep polishing it and might stay ok for a few more years. An old mechanic told me that. Polishing rust will keep it at bay.
I purchased a polishing kit, which the pro's use but like gym equipment I haven't had the time to use it and i am waiting for a nice warm sunny day, hopefully soon !! A few bits are a little worse and need cutting out. thanx for the info.
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi Foget about polish. You need to replace the rusty metal. Or use a rust killer from Halfords.
Then zinc spray on top.This will hold  the corrosion at bay.
Maybe filler if you have a hole.
This is treatment for cosmetic areas not load bearing.
regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:35 pm

mikethebike wrote:Hi Foget about polish. You need to replace the rusty metal. Or use a rust killer from Halfords.
Then zinc spray on top.This will hold  the corrosion at bay.
Maybe filler if you have a hole.
This is treatment for cosmetic areas not load bearing.
regards

Mike
Hi Mike, i plan to cut it all out and then polish afterwards, just need a nice sunny day, thanx.
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scrumpyjack14 Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 am

As the rust is around the screen and the windows I don't think any amount of painting or polishing will help. The rust has probably started on the seam of the metal and worked it's way out.

The good news is it is probably only surface corrosion (rather then a hole blown through from the inside as usually happens with wheel arches).

The bad news is that in my opinion the only way to fix it properly is to remove the screen and windows, clean the rust off back to bear metal, repaint and refit the screen. But this shouldn't be too expensive - there shouldn't be any welding involved (if you catch it fairly early) and the work should be as good as new.

Steve
scrumpyjack14
scrumpyjack14

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:42 am

scrumpyjack14 wrote:As the rust is around the screen and the windows I don't think any amount of painting or polishing will help. The rust has probably started on the seam of the metal and worked it's way out.

The good news is it is probably only surface corrosion (rather then a hole blown through from the inside as usually happens with wheel arches).

The bad news is that in my opinion the only way to fix it properly is to remove the screen and windows, clean the rust off back to bear metal, repaint and refit the screen. But this shouldn't be too expensive - there shouldn't be any welding involved (if you catch it fairly early) and the work should be as good as new.

Steve
Hi Steve Thanx for the advice. 
cheers Rob
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down