The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harmony Rust Bubble

3 posters

Go down

Harmony Rust Bubble Empty Harmony Rust Bubble

Post by newterry Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:48 pm

As the Harmony was due a minor service this year I decided to get the body shop to tackle the 'simple' rust bubble under the drainage slot in the window frame of the sliding door.

Paul at the Segensworth Autos body shop removed the sliding door to take out the interior trim. He realised he didn't have the expertise to remove the sliding window and black ribbed exterior panel.

What follows is the abbreviated version of what happened next. (I can go into more detail on a PM if needed)

I put the door in my car and took it to Joe at the Spitfire Garage in Woolston, who after an initial reluctance, removed the window and prised off the exterior panel to reveal a bit of a horror story. As I'd contracted Paul to do the rust repair the door went back in the car to Segensworth.

Photos below show the extent of the damage probably caused by the perished window rubbers which have now been replaced base on info from the forum.

To keep the job moving I volunteered to shuttle the door to and from Spitfire which also gave me a chance to talk to the experts face to face.

Rust repair and painted the door went back to Spitfire for re-fitting the window and trim. The door is now back on and service and MOT complete.

Unfortunately a rust bubble is visible on the offside which Spitfire will sort out sometime next year.

Last edited by newterry on Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Lost my photobucket instructions so need to delete the multiple links)
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Harmony Rust Bubble Empty Harmony Rust Bubble (photos hopefully !)

Post by newterry Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Harmony Rust Bubble Empty Re: Harmony Rust Bubble

Post by Dave 418 Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:40 am

Hi Mate, I know that sinking feeling when the real problem is revealed. I though my Duetto only needed a bit of a tidy up. After a months work and a much lighter pocket I still feel I should have spotted the trouble earlier. As we all know you cant see this sort of problem creeps up on you and dealers wont let you take vehicles apart on the forecourt.
It sounds like you are getting things sorted. You will feel better when its all done. up!
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Dave,
Yes it was a shock to me and the guys pulling it apart as some of them thought I was worrying over nothing.
I got the job of cleaning up the window frame and ribbed panel as 'homework' to save on labour costs and time.
However, it took me 5 hours to get 95% of the gunge off as what was used back then is a far cry from what's being used now, which can can now peeled off in one go !
Hat's off to Joe at Spitfire who came in on a Sunday to do the refitting so it would all be set for me to pick the door up on the Tuesday to take back to my garage for completion.
I hope the photos will help others when they spot any rust bubbles in that area.
There are some good guys out there if you can find them.
Thanks for getting touch. up!

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:36 pm

Thanks Terry........too afraid to check mine out!!  hugegrins

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:33 pm

Go on PB- I dare you ! hugegrins

I now know what's coming on the offside and the new window rubbers highlighted on ASOF will keep anymore issues at bay.

At least Spitfire can do the whole job and I won't have to do so much running about.

By the way the total cost of the repair was £340.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down