The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORD TRANSIT Mk5 Mudflaps..and ebay madness!!

+2
-mojo-
Bulletguy
6 posters

Go down

FORD TRANSIT Mk5 Mudflaps..and ebay madness!! Empty FORD TRANSIT Mk5 Mudflaps..and ebay madness!!

Post by Bulletguy Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:16 am

For all Mk5 Ford Transit A/S owners i thought this worthy of posting since i lost one of my front mudflaps last year. The aftermarket ones are rather poorly made so i ordered a pair from a local Ford Main Dealer. Not cheap, but they are very heavy duty rubber and last a lifetime as long as one doesn't work loose and drop off like mine did!

I noticed a brand new pair had gone on eBay this week so decided to watch what they went for.........£54 with postage!!  all confused  all confused  

I paid just £31!!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

FORD TRANSIT Mk5 Mudflaps..and ebay madness!! Empty Re: FORD TRANSIT Mk5 Mudflaps..and ebay madness!!

Post by -mojo- Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:38 am

My Mk5 Transit based van (actually a Flair rather than a Duetto) was 5 years old when I bought it, and one of the first things I did was to underseal it, which meant taking off the mudflaps. The amount of crud that gets trapped behind the fixings was a bit of a shock, and there was significant rust where they had been. So I left the front ones off, and it hardly made any difference to the speed at which the van got dirty!

I sold them secondhand on Ebay, for a ridiculously large amount, considering what they were.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

FORD TRANSIT Mk5 Mudflaps..and ebay madness!! Empty Re: FORD TRANSIT Mk5 Mudflaps..and ebay madness!!

Post by Bulletguy Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:26 am

Fortunately mine is an LE model so had extra body protection from new (not sure but i think they used Ziebart). The arches were quite clean actually but before fitting i sprayed a liberal coating of WaxSeal on the arch, then once fitted, sprayed again on the top edge. I use that stuff almost everywhere! Had both battery trays replaced....cut out the stupid foam soundproofing where the trays are mounted and sprayed all over the arch top plus plastered the battery trays in WaxSeal too!

The design of the wheel arch panel is a favourite rust spot for Transits where mud gathers on the inside of the lip. It then dries and hardens and can prove an absolute pain to shift, but that's why you see so many Transits with rusted arches!

I'm not surprised you sold your used mudflaps for 'silly money'. A used pair of front mudflaps went for £28 a few weeks ago on eBay. Crazy and i just cannot understand some folk. Yes Mk5 parts are getting more difficult to source now (my mudflaps had to come from Ford in Germany!), but one off a scrapper in a local breakers won't set you back much more than a fiver.....at least not where i live!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:27 am

Hi there,

I reversed up a ramp and tore the left front side one off when it went under the wheel!  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

The amount of mud and dirt that fell away with it was incredible so I removed the other one, discovered another rust trap and left them both off. 

I have managed without front mud flaps with no particular detriment to the bodywork for the last two years!  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Ian sell on ebay. hugegrins 

regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:11 pm

mikethebike wrote:Hi Ian sell on ebay. hugegrins 

regards

Mike

And who precisely would have wanted (and paid money for) a single off-side front mudflap?  hugegrins 

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Dutto wrote:

regards

Mike

And who precisely would have wanted (and paid money for) a single off-side front mudflap?  hugegrins 

drinksallround
The fella who lost his NEARSIDE mudflap hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:01 am

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

I reversed up a ramp and tore the left front side one off when it went under the wheel!  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

The amount of mud and dirt that fell away with it was incredible so I removed the other one, discovered another rust trap and left them both off. 

I have managed without front mud flaps with no particular detriment to the bodywork for the last two years!  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

That's the reason mine got plastered with WaxSeal behind the flaps before they went on! If you think that's a bad 'rust trap', just take your battery tray off and have a look if you still have the sound proofing there. If you have......cut it away and discard it as that's a prime rust area with water getting in underneath the tray. The sound proofing acts as blotting paper and the first you know you have got a serious problem is when the top of the inner arch falls away with rot! Most Transit owners don't know about it because few, if any, ever remove the battery tray!

Last edited by Bulletguy on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:04 am

modelman wrote:
Dutto wrote:

regards

Mike

drinksallround
The fella who lost his NEARSIDE mudflap hugegrins

Which actually was the side i lost!!  hugegrins 

As they are sold in pairs i decided to put both new ones on.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:16 am

Hi Yes mud flaps are mud traps.Rust on the battery tray and also the front scuttle on the passenger side.
I have seen it all. up! 

regards
Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

FORD TRANSIT Mk5 Mudflaps..and ebay madness!! Empty FORD TRANSIT Mk5 Mudflaps..and ebay madness!!

Post by TONYS49 Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi Guys,
yes rust is the name of the game with a Transit!!
Ours in a mk4 and has rust problems in all the usual places.
Watch out for corrosion where the rear shock absorbers mount.
Got caught out here on the last MOT.

Tony
TONYS49
TONYS49

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : DUETTO

Back to top Go down