The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Bedding and storing it

+6
Gram
Dutto
daisy mae
glynick
broadwayelduo
theBeeGees
10 posters

Go down

Which Bedding and storing it Empty Which Bedding and storing it

Post by theBeeGees Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:51 pm

We are getting our Symbol organised and ready for the 'off' as soon as the weather improves. We cannot decide on bedding. This Symbol has a lower roof than the older versions (not such a great idea in my opinion) therefore the overcab space is pretty narrow. We want single bedding so we always have a choice, but with limited space don't know whether to go for sleeping bags or single duvets plus Raskelf memory foam to lay on. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Also, has anyone managed to remove the wooden blocks in a top cupboard which have clips on and hold wine glasses - too much wasted space here. 

Thanks from the BeeGees up!
theBeeGees
theBeeGees

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Which Bedding and storing it Empty Re: Which Bedding and storing it

Post by broadwayelduo Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:54 pm

We have these in our van [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] extremly comfortable and adaptable,just roll them up in the morning and stand them in the shower room.
broadwayelduo
broadwayelduo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway el duo

Back to top Go down

Post by glynick Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi,
We find single duvets slide off.  We also use Raskelf memory foam & this year hope to buy their covers into which you put the memory foam & a single duvet. Ends up a bit like a sleeping bag but is completely open down one side so is easy to get in & out of but does not slip off.  Only problem - it is a bit bulky when rolled up together.  We travel with them on the seats.  My wife managed to join 2  older single duvet covers which worked well as a trial last year.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Nick
glynick
glynick

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Duvalays in the caravan. made my own version for my motor home, works a treat. anyone needs the instructions just pm me.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi there,

Personally, I don't think you can beat sleeping bags.

Make sure that they:

a)  Are suitable for the type of camping you will be doing.  (We use a Vango that is classed as "three-seasons".  They have zips across the bottom that allows them to be opened up to let a bit of air in on those warm nights when it could become too warm.)

b)  Are the correct size.  (If, like me, you are high, wide but not too handsome it is easy to buy a sleeping bag that is too short or won't wrap comfortably around your shoulders.)

c)  Zip together for those times when a double bed is available.  (An optional extra for some couples!)  Whistle1 

With regard to storage, most decent sleeping bags come with "compression bags" so that they can be compressed into the smallest possible volume.
Hope this helps.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:38 pm

We have two 2.5cms 4.5 Tog Duvalays which roll up and are stored under the bench seat on top of the shoes and beer boxes.

However, the bedlocker on the 2013 Symbol may not be as deep as on my 2009 version.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 am

Very limited space in our a Topaz so although I would love Duvalays they're not practical.  Sleeping bags for us now.  Felt very constricted at first but now I only zip up the bottom edge and a few inches up the side so I gave a nice warm pocket for my feet and I can tuck the rest of the bag around me.  In the morning they just squash into the overcab locker, along with the fitted sheet, thin quilt and the hot water bottles.
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:48 am

I still can't get my head around Duvalays. At home you have the duvet so that it overhangs on both sides of the bed. With a Duvalay, the duvet can only go as far as the join with the mattress with a huge overhang on the other side. I also can't justify the cost of them. If cost wasn't an issue I would have these..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by broadwayelduo Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:26 am

Paulmold wrote:I still can't get my head around Duvalays. At home you have the duvet so that it overhangs on both sides of the bed. With a Duvalay, the duvet can only go as far as the join with the mattress with a huge overhang on the other side. I also can't justify the cost of them. If cost wasn't an issue I would have these..

Overhang would depend on how fat a person was,any surplus could be tucked into your back/belly..yes they are expensive,we bought ours when they had offers on.
Getting out in the middle of the night is easier than fighting with a zip jammed in the material.
broadwayelduo
broadwayelduo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway el duo

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:45 am

'Er' indoors has memory-foam base, sheets, duvets, pillows etc. etc. Looks like one of those burial-mound things when I look across  hugegrins 

ME, I have a 60 oz king-size sleeping bag, with just the lower few inches zipped up, as I always get too hot & like to 'let bits hang out'  hugegrins 

2 separate beds on the sides so either can get up at night without disturbing the other!!

ALL this stuff easily goes in the front-overhead locker & there's room for the same again.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by theBeeGees Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Many thanks for all your contributions. The main problem is the lower roof on the Symbol. Would love the Duvalays but know they are bulky. Think sleeping bags would be the best option, but the wider rectangular ones as I would hate to be 'mummified'.  Hopefully we can stuff the bags into what space there is over the cab...............now to choose a sleeping bag........so much choice for everything you want to buy these days!  Thank you all again  up!
theBeeGees
theBeeGees

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:37 am

As Ann B says there can hardly be less storage space than we Topaz, most-expensive, yet smallest-capacity van-conversion in the Auto-Sleepers range :-)  (£58000 0n the road!!! Mad.) owners have.
We now use a memory-foam mattress, individual down bags and a throw-over cheapo Argos double zip-up bag as a duvet (for those very cold nights). All this stuff really does pack up into very small spaces- it has to!
One of the reasons why we decided to go for a small, yet very expensive, vehicle was because we like to go right up into the mountains where it can get chilly.
What has really surprised us is how much stuff we can (with a certain amount of thought and a few years of experience) cram into a very small space.
We looked at, and tried to fit in, the Duvalay products; whilst they are excellent they simly would not go in the available space.

Hey- have you folks noticed it is getting lighter in the mornings and evening? See you soon!!!!!

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:32 am

Hi Pete, you are not that far from me (Leigh) and if you took your Topaz to Dunham Massey NT two or so years ago then you are the reason we bought our Topaz.  There were two on the car park when we were there and after a sneaky snoop round we made up our minds that the a topaz was just what we wanted.
(sorry to go off topic).
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:37 am

Ann B wrote:Hi Pete, you are not that far from me (Leigh) and if you took your Topaz to Dunham Massey NT two or so years ago then you are the reason we bought our Topaz.  There were two on the car park when we were there and after a sneaky snoop round we made up our minds that the a topaz was just what we wanted.
(sorry to go off topic).
Ann,
Not guilty! We have only had ours since December 2012, we popped into Spinney to get some plastic plates and came away with the Topaz!
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by theBeeGees Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks Ann & Pete - more useful advice. Well Pete as my brother in deepest, darkest, Dorset would say - 'it gets late later now'.

We once went into a Hypermarket in France Ann, just to get a baguette, and came out with a bicycle!!!
theBeeGees
theBeeGees

Female

Back to top Go down