The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedding

+13
Swansea Jac
modelman
johnnybee
rose49f
fisherman3
mikejack
boxerman
Cymro
daisy mae
mikeyval
algy
frederic
rich g
17 posters

Go down

Bedding Empty Bedding

Post by rich g Thu May 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi i have just bought a Wawick Duo,and would like to know what bedding people use,sleeping bags or duvets.We hired a Campervan 2wks ago and used a duvet but wondered if a sleeping bag may be more practical.
Thanks  Bedding 256783
rich g
rich g

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Bedding Empty Re: Bedding

Post by frederic Thu May 22, 2014 4:44 pm

4.5 tog double duvet each if in single beds.
Lie on one half and fold the other half over you.
In winter use a flanalette cover, for a double try the same, one under one over.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Bedding Empty Bedding

Post by algy Thu May 22, 2014 4:47 pm

One word is all you need for a brill nights sleep and that word is Duvalay.Do a search.
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyval Thu May 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Duvalays are all you need - well worth the money for a good nights sleep
Mikeyval

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Duvalays, cannot beat them.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri May 23, 2014 7:53 am

Duvalays, without doubt. I wish I'd bought them as soon as they came on the market.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri May 23, 2014 9:20 am

We use two sleeping bags zipped together to make one double one. Can't see the point of Duvalays except as a way of disposing with unwanted money.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack Fri May 23, 2014 9:35 am

We have always used 2 king size sleeping bags zipped up but just recently moved over to a duvet and a memory foam topper. We got the topper from pound stretcher for £30 and put it in a single quilt cover and it fits perfect. It also rolls up great in the cover put that down with the duvet over the top and I get a better sleep in the van these days. Bit tight with the all the bedding in the overhead locker but it fits. Will not be going back to sleeping bags unless in a tent.

Mike
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri May 23, 2014 9:53 am

Cannot put a price on a good nights sleep Duvalays worth every penny, cannot do with sleeping bags, had enough of those when tenting. now older I need comfort. hugegrins

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Bedding Empty bedding

Post by fisherman3 Fri May 23, 2014 10:11 pm

mikejack has it right.memory foam mattress topper and a nice duvet,very comfy and easy to stow.easier to wash and air also.g.
fisherman3
fisherman3

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : rambler

Back to top Go down

Bedding Empty re:bedding

Post by rich g Sat May 24, 2014 7:05 am

Thanks for all your replies,i like the idea of the memory foam topper + duvet do i go for the 2" or 3".
rich g
rich g

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Sat May 24, 2014 8:22 am

I have a 1" foam matress and it's great. Think of storage. A 2" will take twice a much room up.
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat May 24, 2014 8:30 am

We don't use any form of mattress  toppers as we find the bed in the Symphony comfy as it is.

Frank

Last edited by boxerman on Sat May 24, 2014 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : zpelink korektion)
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Sat May 24, 2014 8:49 am

I have a trident which has a pull out double with three "cushions" so the mattress takes the "ridges" away.
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnybee Sat May 24, 2014 3:26 pm

we use duvalays in our trooper and they have a 2" topper built in. I think 1" would be too thin over the ridges.

Male

Member Age : 43
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat May 24, 2014 3:31 pm

We too suffered a bit from 'the-ridges' & bought a topper to lay on, helped a bit, but still noticed them, so we bought a couple of Regatta air-beds & compressor, 3mins to inflate, flock/suede type finish, take up virtually no space & wow, really comfy, makes the beds higher, but  made such a big difference.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Sat May 24, 2014 4:10 pm

We use 2 duvalays...wonderful!  We originally ordered the thick base and winter tog, but had nowhere to store them..exchanged them for the thin base and summer tog...We also invested in the bags and these are invaluable when storing.  Both of us sleep like logs in them...even better than at home (where we already have a very thick memory foam base from Raskalf, the company which changed its name to Duvalay after its Dragons Den success)...Even without any heating in our van, the summer tog is more than adequate...and they wash well and dry quickly too
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Bedding Empty bedding

Post by fisherman3 Sat May 24, 2014 10:17 pm

3inch memory foam.covers the ridges well and is no prob. to store. blow up mattresses do not last long in our experience. als memory foam weighs little. g
fisherman3
fisherman3

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : rambler

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Sun May 25, 2014 3:23 pm

We make up the beds as a double. Then put on the mattress topper (a 2" thick piece of memory foam off ebay, trimmed to size and covered in home-made mattress saver stuff). Whatever duvet is on the bed at home goes in a turquoise Tesco duvet cover that goes with the wonderful 80's style moquette upholstery in the Symbol. Memory foam mattress topper goes in matching Tesco fitted sheet. Just got back from 2 week trip - Very comfortable!!

For storage during daytime, memory foam mattress topper is folded in half and rolled tightly and pulled even tighter with two nylon luggage straps and pushed into overhead locker. There is still room for four pillows and the duvet (stuffed tight in home made stuff bag) in the overhead locker.

Rgds

Mikebro  smile!
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 pm

rich g wrote:Hi i have just bought a Wawick Duo,and would like to know what bedding people use,sleeping bags or duvets.We hired a Campervan 2wks ago and used a duvet but wondered if a sleeping bag may be more practical.
Thanks  Bedding 256783

There has been a hilarious thread about this very subject topic on a certain other forum with plenty of 'hot air' being blown off!  hugegrins 

Many use a Duvalay which is a sleeping bag......they actually describe them as such on their own website "4cm Duvalay Luxury Sleeping Bag".

Some people use their bed Duvet from home, whilst others use Sleeping Bags (which is my preferred bedding).

Sleeping Bags are extremely versatile and most will pack into a very small compact space....much smaller than any Duvet ever will. The rolled size of the 4.5 tog Duvalay Sleeping Bag is 41cm x 66cm. A 10.5tog rolls to 45cm.....so whilst reasonably compact, they aren't capable of getting down to the same size as Sleeping bag which comes with a 'stuff bag'.

The Sleeping Bag i have is now almost 25 years old. Yes it wasn't cheap, but after years of use it's still going strong. It's very easy to wash and on a warm sunny day will easily dry out in an afternoon. It's 4 season so i have used it in winter months too. During Summer, particularly in hot countries i simply sleep on top but of course where it is hot, the temperature often drops rapidly during the night and i will then use it normally.

If you want versatility, practicality and compactness, then i'd go for Sleeping Bag every time......but shop around for a decent quality one.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Tue May 27, 2014 8:46 am

I haven't got room to store a Duvalay or memory foam topper. I made my own version, without the topper, by sewing a duvet cover and bottom sheet together along one side and the bottom (obviously only on one side of the opening!). That way I can use whatever tog duvet I need depending on the weather. I make the bed up as a double but sleep on one side so there aren't any joins in the cushions anyway.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue May 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Whistle1 We always used two sleeping bags zipped together, one thick one thin. Swap them over if cold, thick on top thin on the bottom. This worked for years including sleeping in tents. Unfortunatly our washing machine munched one of the zips and we cant get another sleeping bag with a matching zip confused3 . We are going to try the matress toper, £30 from pound strecher, plus remaining sleeping bag and a medium weight duva on top. We found the matress toper made a big difrence in our Duetto. Even with the thin sleeping bag as the base it always cossy. Mite try the idea of putting the matress topper in a duva cover and keep the sleeping back for chilly nights think_smiley_46  Too old to sleep on the ground sober so sleeping bags may be redundant. Whistle1
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down